Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Challenger did NOT come with a cabin air filter from the factory (not just the element, but also the assembly that holds it), and I would really like to fix that. So I've found an assembly from a Mopar parts place (AIR FILTRATION - INTERIOR ASSEMBLY), but their online configuration tool is giving me some conflicting info.

It says the assembly (part number 82209548) will NOT work for a 2010 Challenger:
https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-filtration-interior-82209548

...but that it WILL work for a 2010 Charger:
https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-filtration-interior-82209548/?c=Zz11bmRlci1jYXItYW5kLWhvb2QtYWNjZXNzb3JpZXMmcz1haXItZmlsdHJhdGlvbiZhPWRvZGdlJm89Y2hhcmdlciZ5PTIwMTAmdD1zZSZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Basically I am thinking that's a bunch of hooey and that it WILL work on my Challenger just like it does on the 2010 Charger. But I figured I better ask just in case...so here you go:
"Anyone know for a fact that the cabin air filter assembly is not interchangeable between the two models??"

Nuke

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Nuke - I had installed the air cabin filter retrofit on my '09 R/T.

the kit # 82209548 fits - its what the '09 Chrysler 300 used

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ball's in Your Court, Santa!

OUTSTANDING!!

:blueblob:
:banger:
:clap:
:eek:hyeah:
:banana:

Now for the REALLY important question: what do you reckon I can do to convince Ole Saint Nick to leave me one of these under my tree this year??

:dunno:

I know it's last minute, and I fully admit to missing badly at several points this year in "being good", so I'm guessing the best he's got targeted for me up until now is a lump of charcoal...but man 'o man I'd do anything for that Chubby Weirdo if he'd just bring me the ability to filter out all the danged dust and crap that is getting into my car on a daily basis...

hmmm...this is going to take some real thinking outside the box I'm afraid...I don't know how I'm going to blackmail Mr. Kringle into getting me one of these just yet, but I'm going to!!

>:)

Even if I gotta take a deer rifle and start pinging his reindeer one by one as he passes by, I'LL DO IT!!

You hear that Santa?!?!

Bring me a Mopar Cabin Air Filter Assembly or you'll be wearing Rudolf's brains in your beard!!!

:rocket: :eyemouth: :rocket: :grim: :ninja: :rocket: :couto: :armed:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Nuke, I hate to tell you...

Santa

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!

:blueblob:
:banger:
:clap:
:eek:hyeah:
:banana:

Now for the REALLY important question: what do you reckon I can do to convince Ole Saint Nick to leave me one of these under my tree this year??

:dunno:

Bring me a Mopar Cabin Air Filter Assembly or you'll be wearing Rudolf's brains in your beard!!![/SIZE][/COLOR]

:rocket: :eyemouth: :rocket: :grim: :ninja: :rocket: :couto: :armed:
Nuke, two items:

>Mrs. Nuke will rat you out for being "bad" so there's a conspiracy against you there ;)

>our friends at Steve White Parts can get you a good deal on that kit...
-just hide away some "beer money" and you'll have it.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Close, but no horse shoe...or hand grenade

Nuke, I hate to tell you...

Santa

A Guy
That's actually better, as I swore off shooting anything that I wasn't planning on eating many years ago, and I was worried about all the wasted reindeer meat I'd have laying around if Santa called my bluff and forced me to ventilate his sled-pullers. But since he got rid of them and is driving a Prius now, that helps me out in a couple of different ways:

- I won't have to worry about needlessly killing some animals I have no intention of eating.
- his choice of cars will make it so much easier for me do what needs to be done in the event he calls my bluff and shows his ugly mug in my neighborhood.

Although, I would like to point out that the gentleman in that photo you linked to appears to be a fake Santa, or possibly a stand-in, body-double, or other similarly employed individual whose employment depends upon his impersonation skills. I say that because the REAL Santa's Prius is easily identifiable by the crudely scribbled graffiti mods he saw fit to put on each side door:

(if he wasn't drunk when he thought this one up, I'll eat my Sunday hat!)
- https://9tcz3q.bn1302.livefilestore.com/y4mzMS0Cdw3MSB9B77WCZ-ApvB_FDv7ziOMkl7maJX6epnv6v2k-LNTZk6prInUhezkDOkbstDro2Rkw0v66crLq1A15pLxWsT4Q1GeFdoiJ0KKe2Bd9wP-fou7prjTzRfhd6xEUVzYgBQp9-pt3IWjXWKSuLGZvdDFPwwkjuqX1CckhQbA83-exrPFBWOMmOzkBwype17sRVO93rL7GRxMmw/53525884778__45F9B14D-0019-4336-B4D9-1B866264F76A.JPG?psid=1

(I can't be sure, but this one just seems to be a personal dig at me, doesn't it?)
- https://qhf4cg.bn1302.livefilestore.com/y4mAP27Lj6YdUdvC2p1mAyL_XeO8SIgsN-8NNyoH2VaMT9w9cTIX9W8zxf9xegsSZcr5GEHOWQnU11yDZuAzi9h1K4wXrtnE2CZBGDMcvVhuqp-uW59-35UWn6zWDr1bw5HzyfMXJJ0ZVihAvc0x62MzuHRbMr-gfEe0PMIOW8VH2gmAIUo_WYbk4RoW1r8bOlGoMOnzzYhHbTkDXqcQiPUQA/53525886204__33558E3A-41C3-4C23-A674-8EF063782E32.JPG?psid=1

That's what the REAL Santa's Prius looks like, which your photo's Santa Clause is clearly not driving. So he gets props for being close, but no cookie for him unfortunately (horseshoes and grenades and such...)

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
I can just see Nuke going Prius hunting on shopping mall Santas around D/FW area.

"Mommy, why does that man keep running into Santa's car?"

"never mind, we have to get going - that tall man looks a little crazed..."

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nuke, two items:

>Mrs. Nuke will rat you out for being "bad" so there's a conspiracy against you there ;)

>our friends at Steve White Parts can get you a good deal on that kit...
-just hide away some "beer money" and you'll have it.

Well, first of all, Mrs. Nuke doesn’t have much room to talk about being bad...I’ve personally been involved in acts with her which were so salacious and depraved that they would surely be in violation of any number of state and local obscenity laws, except the language necessary to actually outline the banned behavior in the proposed bills would put the law-makers themselves in violation of most of the state’s obscenity ordinances.

NOTE: all of the referenced behavior was strictly confined to the bedroom of course...well, some might have taken place in non-bedroom settings, but those were definitely bedroom-adjacent...well, that depends on your definition of a bedroom actually...anyway, stop changing the subject!!

And second of all, I have opted to go with a local dealership’s service department for fulfilling my car’s interior filtration needs, so I am actually good to go on this part. I did consider engaging @SteveWhiteParts for this, but I ultimately decided it was best not go with them. Not because I thought they couldn’t do just as good a job, mind you, but more because I was worried about the negative repercussions their business could suffer as a result of doing business with me.

I realize they are supporting vendors here, and I think that is a good thing, which is why I worry so about the unintended consequences of my business. Given Mr. White’s (deserved) reputation for helping out LXer’s on this forum and others, I figured no good could come from him dealing with a shiftless, redneck/nogoodnick like me. Sure, they might make a few bucks, but I bet that would hardly enough to make up for the drop in business they might suffer if someone found out they had sold ME some parts for my car.

And before you think my name’s mere presence on the customer list could not possibly hurt a business that much, you should take into consideration the sum total of what I got accomplished yesterday (Sunday):

(note - the impetus for all of this was @A Guy’s reply earlier in this same thread, so he's the REAL bad guy here!)

A Day of Reckoning for Santa and His Prius:

part 1 (of 2):

part 2 (of 2):

bonus footage, just because I'm twisted:

There, satisfied?? Now that you know how utterly useless I can be on an otherwise perfectly good day for getting things done. And so now you can surely see why it is best if reputable businesses, like Steve White's, should steer clear of anything to do with me.

Wait, what? You're STILL not convinced??

Oh boy...okay...I didn’t want to do this, but you’ve forced my hand…

So, in addition to all that I just revealed, there’s one more thing I should tell you about that whole sordid episode: the RC Challenger I used in those videos was orange w/ black stripes when the day started…

Yep, that’s right, I actually took the time to
- disassemble it,
- paint the body black (Plasti-Dip!),
- tape it up,
- paint the stripes (hi-temp engine enamel!),
- untape it,
- reassemble it,
- and then finally do the redline stripes using some fingernail polish I swiped from Mrs. Nuke

And that was all just to add the proper amount of realism to the videos I knew I would be directing and starring in.

Crazy? Probably...
Insane?? Possibly...

That's it, that's all I got...just those two...

Crap, I forgot I was supposed to do some actual work today...gotta go!

Nuke, OUT!!

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Glad to hear you could get a good deal on the kit locally.

Since dealerships are independently owned, prices vary.

SWP has usually been able to beat prices vs. my local dealers...so they frequently get my business.

There's going to be a lot of You Tube viewers wondering what's up with Challenger owners from your videos...I can imagine the Mustang owners getting in a tizzy...

Their feelings are hurt by all those videos of the departures Cars & Coffee crash-ups that Mustangs keep gifting us over and over with their driving prowess -

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Words escape me Nuke...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear you could get a good deal on the kit locally.

Since dealerships are independently owned, prices vary.

SWP has usually been able to beat prices vs. my local dealers...so they frequently get my business.

There's going to be a lot of You Tube viewers wondering what's up with Challenger owners from your videos...I can imagine the Mustang owners getting in a tizzy...

Their feelings are hurt by all those videos of the departures Cars & Coffee crash-ups that Mustangs keep gifting us over and over with their driving prowess -
Yeah, well, Mustang owners need to get a grip. Their vehicles are running amok on the streets of our cities, and they are doing little more than sitting idly by and watching it happen!

There are very few questions remaining in this world without any good answers, no matter what subject is discussed. But without a doubt, one of those few would have to be,
What is it about innocent bystander flesh which the Mustang finds so irresistible that it loses all control of itself and attempts immediate satiation of that hunger upon exiting a car show and spotting some stationary targets, err, I mean people nearby?

I've always suspected quantum interference is playing a part somehow. I mean, what else can explain the inexpiable?

I don't know, I would love to pursue the answer to that question until all possible avenues have been resolved, but every time I start reading "Quantum Physics for Dummies", I get angry at the forced (poor) attemps at interjecting humor into a serious subject, and then I just give up, throw the book down, and proclaim I'll never read another "... for Dummies" offering ever again. So obviously I am not going to solve any world-beating mysteries with that approach, and thus it's going to have to be left to someone else if it's going to ever get solved.

Meanwhile, on a side-street behind the local car show parking lot somewhere, a Mustang just snapped and climbed the crowd barricade separating it from a family of orphans holding kittens and puppies, shredding them like I shredded Santa's Prius... :crying:

Maybe one day someone will finally starting thinking of the children and find a Mustang-at-the-carshow antidote...we can only hope...

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Words escape me Nuke...

A Guy
I feel like Santa's last words would have been something very similar to that, if he'd still been able to speak there at the end, that is...which of course he wasn't due to the stompin' I gave that Prius-driving nut-job!!

Man it felt good too...I almost wish he would come around again so I could do it all over...but I'd do it right this time...better...MORE BOOT!!

A-HAHAHAHA!!!

*sigh*

it's almost a shame I have to go sit in traffic now, I really feel like I should have some sort of productive task to which I could devote all this pent-up Santa hate...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I feel like Santa's last words would have been something very similar to that, if he'd still been able to speak there at the end, that is...which of course he wasn't due to the stompin' I gave that Prius-driving nut-job!!

Man it felt good too...I almost wish he would come around again so I could do it all over...but I'd do it right this time...better...MORE BOOT!!

A-HAHAHAHA!!!

*sigh*

it's almost a shame I have to go sit in traffic now, I really feel like I should have some sort of productive task to which I could devote all this pent-up Santa hate...
buy a few fidget spinners and perfect the art of fidget juggling

could even add it to your resume as a skill

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
And then some unsuspecting soul driving from an office Christmas Party, dressed up as Santa Claus - gets into his red Prius...to be hunted down by Nuke...

Film at 10 tonight, with further updates...

[...narration in sotte voce...like Marlin Perkins did on the National Geographic series..."and then the Predator has spotted his Prey...getting ready for the attack"...]

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
buy a few fidget spinners and perfect the art of fidget juggling

could even add it to your resume as a skill
I read an article about those things that said they cause explosive diarrhea, so I believe I will pass on that!

I would paste a link to that article for reference, but it was actually less of an article and more of a hastily scribbled limerick on the bathroom wall in a bar somewhere...

so no URL to paste, but if I remember which bar that was, i’ll go snap a pic of that stall and post it up here for sure!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And then some unsuspecting soul driving from an office Christmas Party, dressed up as Santa Claus - gets into his red Prius...to be hunted down by Nuke...

Film at 10 tonight, with further updates...

[...narration in sotte voce...like Marlin Perkins did on the National Geographic series..."and then the Predator has spotted his Prey...getting ready for the attack"...]
I am actively resisting all urges to go after other Prius’s (Priui?) I saw on the roads today, as I don’t want to overindulge myself and build up a tolerance.

Before I’d know it, I could find myself penniless(er) and alone, living in my Challenger down by the river, only venturing out at night to rob and steal enough for gas money to go on my Prius binges, systematically clearing the state of them and their delisiuos drivers....

Mmmmmm, Prius....

<drool>
<drool>

Crap, now I’ve got the shakes again, I need to get to a meeting, ASAP!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So when you pulled the original non-filter-holding assembly off the car, did you try to clean the evaporator at all before installing the new filter-holding assembly and filter element?

Was cleaning the evaporator even possible given its location/orientation?

ugh...I'm starting to obsess about this deal now...I want to make sure I start off with the cooling system in the best possible shape once I get the new assembly on the car and buttoned up. However, it occurred to me yesterday that there is likely going to be some dust/dirt build-up on the evaporator already - the same gunk a cabin filter would have filtered out if one had been installed on the car originally. And after 7 dust-filled years of nothing but a screen door to filter the air coming in, I imagine things could be quite cruddy in there as a result.

CRAP, CRUD, HECK!!!

Sorry to use such foul language, but my temper flared up for a sec...

Anyway, in an ideal world, I would be able to clean the fins of the evaporator before installing the new filter assembly. But heck, I have not been that far into my car's innards yet (not going in from the outside, anyway), so I don't even know if it will be possible for me to access the evaporator well enough to clean the crap that's built up in there...

HECK, CRUD, CRAP!!!

Sorry, sorry...temper again...

Anyway, I would be much obliged for any info, details, warnings, words of encouragement, etc. you can send over, as the only thing worse (in my head anyway) than having an inaccessible evaporator which cannot be cleaned is having one that was accessible and thoroughly cleaned, only to find out it now had a pin hole or something in one of the fins from over-zealous cleaning...

I tell ya, I just cannot shake this nagging feeling of an impending successful failure* with this project...I feel it in my bones!. :mah:

I may have to resort to some 'Stones to calm my nerves while I wait for everything to arrive...no, not Rolling Stones (though they would be much preferred actually), I'm talking about large cases of Keystone Light beers! They got smart and embraced the Stones nickname I saw recently - the local RaceTrac is selling a "30 Pack of 'Stones" for a very reasonable price, and that's the first time I've seen "'Stones" actually printed on the box :wink3:

Nuke

* - that's where I succeed in doing whatever the original mod idea was, but I ultimately fail because I damaged/broke/busted something else unrelated to the mod while trying to put the mod on. These are the worse kinds of outcomes for automotive mod projects IMO!!

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
So when you pulled the original non-filter-holding assembly off the car, did you try to clean the evaporator at all before installing the new filter-holding assembly and filter element?

Was cleaning the evaporator even possible given its location/orientation?

ugh...I'm starting to obsess about this deal now...I want to make sure I start off with the cooling system in the best possible shape once I get the new assembly on the car and buttoned up. However, it occurred to me yesterday that there is likely going to be some dust/dirt build-up on the evaporator already - the same gunk a cabin filter would have filtered out if one had been installed on the car originally. And after 7 dust-filled years of nothing but a screen door to filter the air coming in, I imagine things could be quite cruddy in there as a result.

CRAP, CRUD, HECK!!!

Sorry to use such foul language, but my temper flared up for a sec...

Anyway, in an ideal world, I would be able to clean the fins of the evaporator before installing the new filter assembly. But heck, I have not been that far into my car's innards yet (not going in from the outside, anyway), so I don't even know if it will be possible for me to access the evaporator well enough to clean the crap that's built up in there...

HECK, CRUD, CRAP!!!

Sorry, sorry...temper again...

Anyway, I would be much obliged for any info, details, warnings, words of encouragement, etc. you can send over, as the only thing worse (in my head anyway) than having an inaccessible evaporator which cannot be cleaned is having one that was accessible and thoroughly cleaned, only to find out it now had a pin hole or something in one of the fins from over-zealous cleaning...

I tell ya, I just cannot shake this nagging feeling of an impending successful failure* with this project...I feel it in my bones!. :mah:

I may have to resort to some 'Stones to calm my nerves while I wait for everything to arrive...no, not Rolling Stones (though they would be much preferred actually), I'm talking about large cases of Keystone Light beers! They got smart and embraced the Stones nickname I saw recently - the local RaceTrac is selling a "30 Pack of 'Stones" for a very reasonable price, and that's the first time I've seen "'Stones" actually printed on the box :wink3:

Nuke

* - that's where I succeed in doing whatever the original mod idea was, but I ultimately fail because I damaged/broke/busted something else unrelated to the mod while trying to put the mod on. These are the worse kinds of outcomes for automotive mod projects IMO!!
Nuke - I put mine on my '09 when I just took delivery of it - so mine was brand new when I installed it.

Probably the stuff you'd use is the foaming stuff - the heavy duty version that shops use to clean evap & heater cores. Probably not a bad idea to get all the dust, pollen that's built up over 100k of driving through all the seasons.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nuke - I put mine on my '09 when I just took delivery of it - *so mine was brand new when I installed it.*

Probably the stuff you'd use is the foaming stuff - *the heavy duty version that shops use to clean evap & heater cores*. Probably not a bad idea to get all the dust, pollen that's built up over 100k of driving through all the seasons.

I see...so you couldn’t have held off a little while, say 100K miles or so, and THEN installed it, you know, so you’d be able to help your ole buddy Nuke out when he did his??

Interesting...I was not aware a product already existed to address this specific issue...I must look into acquiring me some of it, poste haste!!

I might be jinxing myself by saying this, but I suddenly feel as though the worm will soon turn for me, although i’m far from sure about it...just a feeling right now, just a feeling :grin2:

Many thanks!
Nuke

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2010 Challenger did NOT come with a cabin air filter from the factory (not just the element, but also the assembly that holds it), and I would really like to fix that. So I've found an assembly from a Mopar parts place (AIR FILTRATION - INTERIOR ASSEMBLY), but their online configuration tool is giving me some conflicting info.

It says the assembly (part number 82209548) will NOT work for a 2010 Challenger:
https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-filtration-interior-82209548

...but that it WILL work for a 2010 Charger:
https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-filtration-interior-82209548/?c=Zz11bmRlci1jYXItYW5kLWhvb2QtYWNjZXNzb3JpZXMmcz1haXItZmlsdHJhdGlvbiZhPWRvZGdlJm89Y2hhcmdlciZ5PTIwMTAmdD1zZSZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Basically I am thinking that's a bunch of hooey and that it WILL work on my Challenger just like it does on the 2010 Charger. But I figured I better ask just in case...so here you go:
"Anyone know for a fact that the cabin air filter assembly is not interchangeable between the two models??"

Nuke

Don't know if this is relevant, but the 2009 year was "split" by the bankruptcy and from what I understand the "late 2009" stuff was actually "early 2010". I've got a 2009 Challenger SRT six speed and on couple of occasions found different parts numbers, that were a 2010 number vs a 2009. Haven't had any real problems with it. My parts guy at the dealer where I bought the car is a top notch guy when it comes to keeping up with things like this. Just my .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts