Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 R/T that developed a separation to the dash padabove the center vents; see pics. The car has 116 miles on it and I live inPhoenix AZ. Has this happened to anyone else?
I figure I can use some contact cement and clamp the edge of the pad to the plastic 'liner', but am wondering what other options are outthere.
Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Weird. I assume that with the low miles, you keep it in the garage.

I suggest that you start driving it more. With the amount of people preserving these in garages, they will never be collectible or valuable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oregon - I thought you were being sarcastic, until I re-read my post. I meant to say 116K miles!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Is that like a ridged foam backing? This forum is great, but I think I would go to a professional trim shop and see what they say. Getting an adhesive that will bond with a foam can be tough and you absolutely do not want anything that could react with the backing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would get some good silicone and put a bunch in there,put a book with some weight on it on top of the area,clean up the excess silicone that will splooge out,leave it for a couple of days.I have used silicone for issues like this and it has never failed.Just give it a good 2 days to fully cure.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
the backside of the dash pad is smooth vinyl. I had cut out a section (in glovebox area) to install the OEM glovebox light. That piece of padding was smooth vinyl on the backside.

I had a similar thing start to happen with another car I owned - glue the padding down to the rigid plastic structure and clamp it until the glue has set. It will work.

I've seen this happen on GM cars over the years, not uncommon to see the pad warp / pull away from vent openings - especially in hotter climates.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Hal - since its not open foam, maybe I'll try some double-sided emblem tape.
you can try that - you'll want the thin tape.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T that developed a separation to the dash padabove the center vents; see pics. The car has 116 miles on it and I live inPhoenix AZ. Has this happened to anyone else?
I figure I can use some contact cement and clamp the edge of the pad to the plastic 'liner', but am wondering what other options are outthere.
Thanks for your replies.
Look over this thread.Should help.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/dash-lifting-above-air-vent-511378/index2.html#post7580649

·
Registered
97 Posts
You might try a product called E600 or Shoe Goo. They are a silicon type clear adhesive and they dry very fast and very strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts