Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

My Mom has a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T with 142,000 miles and her mechanic told her it was time to replace the car. She is struggling with this because she loves the car, but I also don't want it to become an endless money pit for her. She is retired in her 70s and its probably time, but she is looking for some advice. The car needs the front suspension completely replaced. It's causing her tires to go bald every 2 years and making lots of clunking noises. Has anyone with a high mileage Challenger done a suspension replacement and what was the cost? We would want to use Mopar parts, not aftermarket. Her mechanic also has noted over the past year that the engine has "blow-by" and to keep checking the oil, but not much else. Should we be concerned about an engine replacement down the road because of this issue?

We also have some rust going on above the wheel arch on the passenger side. Our mechanic is saying that we need to go to Dodge for all of this work but I think it will cost a small fortune. Any suggestions also for mechanics in the NJ area would be greatly appreciated. We are near Trenton, NJ. Thanks, appreciate any advice/suggestions!!

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,580 Posts
Sounds like you need a new mechanic. I traded in my 2010 R/T in March will 163k miles and they tires were still wearing evenly. The car still rode well but for giggles I checked with a local Firestone and they quoted $1100 for front struts, rear shocks, and an alignment. I highly doubt you need a "complete" new front suspension. You say two years the tires are bald. How many miles is that? Completely bald or inside or outside edge? As to blow by... how much oil is it using in how many miles? Could be as simple as need a new PCV valve. Yup more questions you need to answer to get answers.

Reactions: BlueChallengerRT10

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,580 Posts
Oh and welcome from NC.

·
Super Moderator
17,470 Posts
odds are its the front tension arms - common wear item and at 142k, the bushings are pretty far gone

with the blow-by - that's an engine rebuild replacement.

I'd probably suggest looking for a newer Challenger there's probably '13 / '14 models or some '15s with many miles of life in them for just a bit more than trying to rebuild the '10, especially when there's rust appearing. There's been a lot of Challengers sold, so plenty to pick from as used.

Odds are there's a lot more rust in places on the undercarriage that's further along - and the subframes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I think so on the new mechanic. The outside and inside part of the tires are already bald. 2 years was about 20,000 miles and first noticed about 6 months ago they started showing signs so after 15,000 they were already showing excessive wear. Once she hits 70mph the car becomes very unstable. As far as how much oil it's going through, she says since her last oil change in April she has gone 2,000 miles and the car hasn't needed any extra oil.

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. I traded in my 2010 R/T in March will 163k miles and they tires were still wearing evenly. The car still rode well but for giggles I checked with a local Firestone and they quoted $1100 for front struts, rear shocks, and an alignment. I highly doubt you need a "complete" new front suspension. You say two years the tires are bald. How many miles is that? Completely bald or inside or outside edge? As to blow by... how much oil is it using in how many miles? Could be as simple as need a new PCV valve. Yup more questions you need to answer to get answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, she might go with a Charger this time and an AWD V6 one. She doesn't need all that HP anymore. LOL. :) I'm going to get under the car tomorrow to look for more rust, I don't think she has had the underside checked.

odds are its the front tension arms - common wear item and at 142k, the bushings are pretty far gone

with the blow-by - that's an engine rebuild replacement.

I'd probably suggest looking for a newer Challenger there's probably '13 / '14 models or some '15s with many miles of life in them for just a bit more than trying to rebuild the '10, especially when there's rust appearing. There's been a lot of Challengers sold, so plenty to pick from as used.

Odds are there's a lot more rust in places on the undercarriage that's further along - and the subframes.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
This may not be relevant, but check the tire pressure in your Mother's car. Low tire pressure can make the outsides wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts