Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my 2010 challenger rt yesterday and I was pulling out of a drive through and I didn’t remember or realize to release my parking break because music was so loud, girls in the back seat and just my stupidity. So I dumped the clutch and did a small burn out and heard what sounded like explosion. Everything was still working after that and no lights or check engine light came on. But now when ever I put the car into gear it just made a grinding noise and didn’t move much. After coming the next day and putting it on my trailer I saw and took pictures of my cv axel that I will attach, if you can’t see the two pictures my cv axel basically exploded/broke. But my 2 main questions are would anything else have been damaged or what else should I check to make sure nothing else is damaged. Second should I just replace both cv axel at this time and should I upgrade them to performance ones, because I like to have a little fun with my car, but again it is my daily driver. Also I did upgrade the clutch to a stage 2 lsd clutch and flywheel. Replaced input shaft, pilot bearing and slave cylinder. After my stock clutch was not good anymore.
A3D03984-9EA8-41D4-86E2-32F02EF64051.jpeg
0DE1A79D-9141-4EC7-AB54-076FD6287B1B.jpeg

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well you will have to pull the shaft and inspect the splines of the shaft as well as the ones in the diff to ensure you didn’t mess those up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Yeah, that could be bad news for more than just a new axle’s worth of parts...to be safe you’ll want to check out (or have checked out) the parking brake on the other side and the rear end housing’s input splines on this side. Draining any gear oil on the carrier and replacing it with fresh is probably good, but be sure to look at drained fluid for anything that shouldn’t be there.

As for upgrading the axles, that’s your call. I don’t believe the upgraded axles provide much extra until you are really putting the torque to them (normally, not with parking engaged at the same time 😉), like what going forced induction might add.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
... pulling out of a drive through and I didn’t remember or realize to release my parking break because music was so loud, girls in the back seat and just my stupidity. So I dumped the clutch and did a small burn out...
Yeah, broken axle would be the least of my problems. Why do people admit this stuff?
Get new axles and be done with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts