Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smell gasoline when I get in the car and detect it outside near right rear wheel well. The must be a gas leak in the system near top of the gas tank? I don't see any spill or leakage underneath the car. What is the cause?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,481 Posts
You can access the top of the saddle tanks by pulling up the rear seat bottoms. Check there for any obvious leaks. You'll probably have to crawl up under it and check the bottom of the saddle tanks for any obvious leaks too.

Have you recently run over anything like a curb or hit some road debris that might have come up and punctured the gas tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can access the top of the saddle tanks by pulling up the rear seat bottoms. Check there for any obvious leaks. You'll probably have to crawl up under it and check the bottom of the saddle tanks for any obvious leaks too.

Have you recently run over anything like a curb or hit some road debris that might have come up and punctured the gas tank?
Thanks Nuke. I took my Challenger to a local Dodge dealer. After putting it on the lift, they determined the fuel filler tube was leaking, especially when the tank was filled and checked again. The sock was wet. They advise to replace it with a new filler tube and gas cap. Unfortunately, they were not able to locate the part nationwide. It requires part # 4578989AB, which has been discontinued, and their search turned up none available. I had same experience online with ebay, MoparPartsGiant.com and others. It is a 2009-2010 part. Do you know of a source for the part?
The last option is to get it at a salvage yard, with no guarantees.
I did not run over a curb or otherwise damage the tank..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts

4578989AB superseded 4578989AA, you can include that in any searches

Above doesn't say discontinued, but I'd call them

A Guy

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Thanks Nuke. I took my Challenger to a local Dodge dealer. After putting it on the lift, they determined the fuel filler tube was leaking, especially when the tank was filled and checked again. The sock was wet. They advise to replace it with a new filler tube and gas cap. Unfortunately, they were not able to locate the part nationwide. It requires part # 4578989AB, which has been discontinued, and their search turned up none available. I had same experience online with ebay, MoparPartsGiant.com and others. It is a 2009-2010 part. Do you know of a source for the part?
The last option is to get it at a salvage yard, with no guarantees.
I did not run over a curb or otherwise damage the tank..
That's good they were able to identify the leaky part, but it shows discontinued on the local Mopar parts site i use too. You can hit up member @stevewhite on here to see if he can locate one possibly (his dealership is a supporting vendor here and they can be quite useful in helping resolve unique issues like this).

I didnt drill down into the links @A Guy provided, but that is probably the next beat option it sounds like.

I did a quick search (using car-part.com) for the fuel filler tubes just to see how easy they were to find at a salvage yard and how much they are asking for them, and i was a little surprised at the results. It returned a total of 10 in all of the US, but the prices were all reasonable thankfully. So if you end up going that route, it looks like you won't have to pay thru the nose at least...one positive in all this mess :D

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,420 Posts
..I did a quick search (using car-part.com) for the fuel filler tubes just to see how easy they were to find at a salvage yard and how much they are asking for them, and i was a little surprised at the results. It returned a total of 10 in all of the US, but the prices were all reasonable thankfully. So if you end up going that route, it looks like you won't have to pay thru the nose at least...one positive in all this mess :D
I would start with junkyards myself, if not a warranted part. The problem with car-part and junkyards in general is not ever (most) yards don't inventory every single part on a car, they will inventory typically body panels, drivetrain, and then interior based on color. Anything after that is a crap shoot. What I do, if I am looking for a specific part, I look for something generic like the rear window, that will probably be inventoried on just about every one, and typically intact. That will let me know of local cars, then just online chat/email/call them and ask for the exact part you need.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
i hear ya, it can be a crap shoot. One way to tilt the odds in your favor if using car-part's search is to look for the items with pictures (of what you are searching for) in the result set it returns. If they took the time to take a pic, you know its there and you can tell its condition since you can check it in the photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

4578989AB superseded 4578989AA, you can include that in any searches

Above doesn't say discontinued, but I'd call them

A Guy
Thanks A Guy! I was able to order it from MoparPartsGiant.com, today. Oddly, I called them a couple days ago and they didn't have it. Discontinued. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
37 Posts
I had this on my 2015 SXT Plus. I took it to two different dealers (one never found the issue). It took them doing a pressure test to finally find out it was a bad connection somewhere in the fuel line. If you can't locate it yourself, the dealer should be able to do it fairly easily if you specify where the smell is coming from and they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would start with junkyards myself, if not a warranted part. The problem with car-part and junkyards in general is not ever (most) yards don't inventory every single part on a car, they will inventory typically body panels, drivetrain, and then interior based on color. Anything after that is a crap shoot. What I do, if I am looking for a specific part, I look for something generic like the rear window, that will probably be inventoried on just about every one, and typically intact. That will let me know of local cars, then just online chat/email/call them and ask for the exact part you need.
I can't locate a new part, so looks like salvage yards is a possibility. Hopefully I can get one locally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts