Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 2010 Hemi Challenger for 8 years and love it. one thing that has always bothered me is the ECO mod which makes a noise engaging and disengaging at certain (lower) speeds. Is this normal and can the ECO feature be defeated, turned off?
Regards,
HarryO

·
Banned
98 Posts
This is your best option. Sport mode will reduce if but not turn it off on your year. Good news, your ECU is unlocked so this will work. Just plug it into your OBD2 socket and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have owned a 2010 Hemi Challenger for 8 years and love it. one thing that has always bothered me is the ECO mod which makes a noise engaging and disengaging at certain (lower) speeds. Is this normal and can the ECO feature be defeated, turned off?
Regards,
HarryO
The ECO mode (cylinder shut off which is also referred to at least in more recent models as MDS (multiple displacment system)) noise you complain about I would think if it has not progressed to some clear failure of the MDS system by this time the noise is normal.

The ECO/MDS system can probably can be "defeated" given the fact the car is an older model and doesn't have the "locked" PCM that is the case with the newer models. Someone else I'm sure will respond with more info in this.

Are you running the right oil? Are you running the oil too long? I have read posts here and elsewhere that the MDS system is sensitive to the oil used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rockster. I'll check into the unlocked PCM. My oil is full synthetic Mobil good for 7000miles. I change it at 4000.
Thanks Again.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Thanks Rockster. I'll check into the unlocked PCM. My oil is full synthetic Mobil good for 7000miles. I change it at 4000.
Thanks Again.
You have an unlocked ECM already as I said. I had a 2012 5.7 Challenger. I researched this endlessly. I provided your solution. I now have a 2017 that's how I know Sport mode doesn't turn off MDS on your year but does on my 2017. Also your ECM is not locked and my 2017 is.

·
Registered
2016 plum crazy purple R/T Scat Pack
1,091 Posts
If money is tight buy a used Diablosport Predator. If you like fancy buy a Diablosport Trinity. You can turn MDS off with both. PCM's weren't locked until 2015. You can also just move the shifter to manual mode to turn it off.

·
Banned
98 Posts
You could buy a Diable i3 if cost is not a problem and it will allow more than just turning off MDS. If you are just focused on MDS, The Diablo DCX SPRINT MDS MODULE - S1000D is cheap and will accomplish this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts