Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does it take to get a 2010 Challenger to handle as good or better than a 2014 challenger with STP? I’m currently planning to buy a challenger in the near future and I’ve driven a manual 2014 R/T with STP and loved the way the car rode. It felt very flat in the corners and seemed like it would corner fairly well. I'm comparing the Challenger to my previous car a fourth Gen T/A with strano suspension parts. I really liked the planted feel the challenger had over bumpy surfaces which was something the T/A lacked.

The catch 22 I have is there’s an R/T classic B5 blue challenger for sale with 12k on it for $29,000. So while the B5 blue is my personal favorite challenger color I’m not sure what that car would need suspension wise to bring it up to par or better than a 2014 STP R/T challenger. Part of the pros and cons of the new vs used debate I’m having. Searching I'm thinking ST coil overs would be a start but I wasn't sure if there was a complete all in one package to get a feel price wise what would get it to the same level. My impression is after 2011 the suspension mods changed the camber of the tires which wouldn't be easy to replicate on the 2010 car?

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a '09 R/T, bought it used just for the B5 (the color is sick), so I am in the same boat. My future plans are for this suspension.

Mopar Performance Suspension 05-10 300, Challenger, Charger, Magnum 5.7L

It is the SRT8 suspension, so it should match the STP version on the R/T's. It drops the car 1" and adds the SRT8 springs and shocks. I'm sure there are other aftermarket suspensions that are better, but this is the one I want.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
*firmer rate sway bars (larger dia. front & rear sway bars)

*lowering springs (firmer rate, and lowers center of gravity = better handling)

*firmer shocks front & rear

-coil overs can accomplish the same effect as the lowering springs, but cost is significantly higher.

When the '08-'10s are lowered it will increase negative camber...I lowered mine 2" and my specs are in line with the '11+ R/T values for OEM suspension for that year for front & rear.

The steering ratio is different on '11+ (faster ratio) than the prior years, but the rack could be changed over...what that costs, I'm not certain. I expect steering racks probably run $375-450?

The mid-year '10s first offered STP, but it wasn't a widely know option and caught on as time went by.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hal did the 2" drop require additional changes to compensate for your pinion angle? Did you need to get additional parts besides the springs and shocks (panhard bar, LCA's, etc)? It looks like the SRT package and whiteline front and rear sways would be close to $1000.00 which doesn't seem too bad for getting a 2010 challenger up to snuff. How noticeable do you think the steering ratio changes would be? I'm thinking that the ratio difference could be lived with in order to get B5 blue but I'd have to take the 2010 car out for a drive to find out. Rut Roe looks like it just got bought.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For 29K, you could just buy a 14 R/T. Add a couple grand for STP.
But repainting it B5 Blue would be expensive.... It's a trade off my favorite colors for the challenger would mean buying a used car. I was pricing ordering a 2014 R/T Blacktop with stripe delete 6spd and sunroof and was quoted 31,300 which I thought was pretty reasonable but my favorite colors that I've seen are 1st B5 Blue and 2nd Toxic Orange which would require buying a used car hence wanting to see what cost wise upgrading a 2010 suspension would be like vs. the 2014 car new. Just part of weighing the pros and cons.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
But repainting it B5 Blue would be expensive.... It's a trade off my favorite colors for the challenger would mean buying a used car. I was pricing ordering a 2014 R/T Blacktop with stripe delete 6spd and sunroof and was quoted 31,300 which I thought was pretty reasonable but my favorite colors that I've seen are 1st B5 Blue and 2nd Toxic Orange which would require buying a used car hence wanting to see what cost wise upgrading a 2010 suspension would be like vs. the 2014 car new. Just part of weighing the pros and cons.

Take it easy
Jay
Sorry man, I'm not really a "It's gotta be this color" kind of guy. It's a color. I'll say this though. I'd spend 6 grand painting a new car before I'd spend 3 or 4 upgrading the suspension on a used one. But again, I don't believe for one second that one color is ever going to be worth more than another and I'll always be able to find a color I like from the current available offerings. I used to have a Saturn Sky Redline and I thoroughly offended like 80 percent of the older people on that board when I said "just get a color you like, color has absolutely nothing to do with value or raity on a modern car." I was right, but it still offended a bunch of people. Good luck man, whatever you decide. Challengers are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Hal did the 2" drop require additional changes to compensate for your pinion angle?
Did you need to get additional parts besides the springs and shocks (panhard bar, LCA's, etc)?
It looks like the SRT package and whiteline front and rear sways would be close to $1000.00 which doesn't seem too bad for getting a 2010 challenger up to snuff.
How noticeable do you think the steering ratio changes would be? I'm thinking that the ratio difference could be lived with in order to get B5 blue but I'd have to take the 2010 car out for a drive to find out. Rut Roe looks like it just got bought.

Take it easy
Jay
No need for add'l parts - like one of the following posts mentioned, the diff is mounted to the IRS cradle, so the driveshaft doesn't change its orientation.

The steering ratio from the reviews mentions faster steering response, turn in and more active 'feel'. But you could certainly run with the OEM rack and see how that feels.

I haven't driven an '11+ to see what it feels like.
Another member from the forum test drove my car to try out the G&K mod / Hurst short throw shifter [He had a new '12 SRT8 Challenger] as he was contemplating how the Hurst shifter would be vs. OEM...he commented on how the cars had a different feel and the steering felt differently - this was before I did the lowering springs and shocks on mine...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry man, I'm not really a "It's gotta be this color" kind of guy. It's a color...
Off topic, but im complete opposite of you. When i was buying, i only wanted one color. Its something that i look at every day so it had to be exactly what i wanted. This limited my choices, but i ultimately found one in Blackberry Pearl with every option I wanted `cept for LSD. Thats gonna be added soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Off topic, but im complete opposite of you. When i was buying, i only wanted one color. Its something that i look at every day so it had to be exactly what i wanted. This limited my choices, but i ultimately found one in Blackberry Pearl with every option I wanted `cept for LSD. Thats gonna be added soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Did you buy your car new? If so you picked an available color on a new Dodge Challenger.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
NP I'm not thinking of color from a resale point of view I'm mainly thinking of how I'd like to customize the car. For example blue arr cuda vs sam posey in silver etc aftermarket spoilers, srt chin spoiler, louvers, etc.. I don't mind buying used if I can find one that seemed babied. So if $1000.00 + labor was going to get a similar handling for a 2010 that gives me price point to consider while weighing my options looking at cars.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
118 Posts
My understanding of the Challenger is that the 2011 and up cars have a vastly improved front suspension and steering system, geometry wise, and that upgrading the previous models with great suspension parts will not be capable of equaling the improved geometry of the newer cars can do, handling wise.

I could certainly be wrong, but I would want to start with the best suspension design of the two if I was going to spend a lot of cash on upgrades as well.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
NP I'm not thinking of color from a resale point of view I'm mainly thinking of how I'd like to customize the car. For example blue arr cuda vs sam posey in silver etc aftermarket spoilers, srt chin spoiler, louvers, etc.. I don't mind buying used if I can find one that seemed babied. So if $1000.00 + labor was going to get a similar handling for a 2010 that gives me price point to consider while weighing my options looking at cars.

Take it easy
Jay
I mean absolutely no offense to owners of 08-10 cars, but my understanding is 11 and up equals a better car. How deadest are you on B5? All the things you mentioned can be added to any Challenger regardless of color, and they do have other blues currently available. I bought white, but if I had it to do over again, I may have gotten Jazz Blue.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No need for add'l parts - like one of the following posts mentioned, the diff is mounted to the IRS cradle, so the driveshaft doesn't change its orientation.

The steering ratio from the reviews mentions faster steering response, turn in and more active 'feel'. But you could certainly run with the OEM rack and see how that feels.

I haven't driven an '11+ to see what it feels like.
Another member from the forum test drove my car to try out the G&K mod / Hurst short throw shifter [He had a new '12 SRT8 Challenger] as he was contemplating how the Hurst shifter would be vs. OEM...he commented on how the cars had a different feel and the steering felt differently - this was before I did the lowering springs and shocks on mine...
Thanks for the info Hal I'm used to the discussions at LS1tech where once you started looking at dropping you were also looking at an additional cascade of suspension and drive line geometry changes.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mean absolutely no offense to owners of 08-10 cars, but my understanding is 11 and up equals a better car. How deadest are you on B5? All the things you mentioned can be added to any Challenger regardless of color, and they do have other blues currently available. I bought white, but if I had it to do over again, I may have gotten Jazz Blue.
I'm not if I was I'd already have made an offer on the car. I've been lurking here for a bit before joining and posting and had read about the 2011 upgrades. I figured it was worth getting opinions and researching my options prior to making a decision thus why I posted.

Take it easy
Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts