Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, haven't been here in a while. How's it going?

Woke up this morning and moved the car. Went back through the garage and discovered this Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (if that isn't hyperlinked please copy and paste it into your browser). Oil I presume near the front of the car..... My car was bought dec of 2010 and has 27k miles. The warranty is something along the lines of 3 years 35k correct? I assume I just need 2 hit the dealer ASAP?

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Yep, that's oil on the floor.
Could be from anywhere......if you would of looked with a good light once noticed you might of found out from where the car sat. Like if it was under the crank and hermonic balance or leak down from cam sensor along side of the motor.
Best bet, take it in.
Flattop

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, that's oil on the floor.
Could be from anywhere......if you would of looked with a good light once noticed you might of found out from where the car sat. Like if it was under the crank and hermonic balance or leak down from cam sensor along side of the motor.
Best bet, take it in.
Flattop
Thank your sir. I assume this would be covered under warrant? Even it is I'm prepared to fight with the dealer if there is any pushback.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
It should be. I sure wouldn't let it go to long. The repair itself may take longer than you want.
FT

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Your oil lek is most likely from the oil filter, because of the belley pan it takes a while for the oil to drip on the ground. About 90% of engine oil leaks on Challengers and Chargers are loose or leaky oil filters, goood luck.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Your oil lek is most likely from the oil filter, because of the belley pan it takes a while for the oil to drip on the ground. About 90% of engine oil leaks on Challengers and Chargers are loose or leaky oil filters, goood luck.
Which is why I presume they hired that gorilla at the Saltillo Mexico engine plant

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Apparently the dealership didn't clean up properly or something along those lines last oil change. They apologized and I was in and out in about 30 minutes. Didn't get any paper work so not quite sure what they problem was but it's solved

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
UPDATE: Apparently the dealership didn't clean up properly or something along those lines last oil change. They apologized and I was in and out in about 30 minutes. Didn't get any paper work so not quite sure what they problem was but it's solved
Yeah, not sure either since there's not really any place for the oil to pool when doing an oil change. I will second the oil filter leak, though, as I had that same problem with multiple non-Mopar filters (Mobil 1, Bosch) and took it in to the dealer to have it checked out. Dealer said they won't diagnose it until a Mopar filter is installed and THEN if it still leaks they'll replace the filter adapter on the engine.

Well, installed a Mopar filter...and no more leaks. That was like 3 oil changes ago and still no leaks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, not sure either since there's not really any place for the oil to pool when doing an oil change. I will second the oil filter leak, though, as I had that same problem with multiple non-Mopar filters (Mobil 1, Bosch) and took it in to the dealer to have it checked out. Dealer said they won't diagnose it until a Mopar filter is installed and THEN if it still leaks they'll replace the filter adapter on the engine.

Well, installed a Mopar filter...and no more leaks. That was like 3 oil changes ago and still no leaks.
Something about the skid pan I think

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Something about the skid pan I think
That needs to come off to get to the oil filter. However, if the tech is lazy then they could just remove the 2 rear bolts from the shield, let it hang or bend it down a little, then pull the oil filter and let it drip onto the shield. If they don't clean it up then I can see it making its way into the indent and drain hole just below the oil filter and then dripping onto the ground.

One reason why I do my own oil changes... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts