Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been lurking...but I need some help...

I am looking at a challenger...I can get the 2010 for about 5k less then the 2011...both brand new...

So am I going to miss the 3.6L and newer features of the 2011 for that 6.5k? Not really planning on racing, but for sure romp on it around town...

What would you do? Any help would be awesome!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
My 2 Cents

I am looking at a challenger...I can get the 2010 for about 5k less then the 2011...both brand new...

So am I going to miss the 3.6L and newer features of the 2011 for that 6.5k? Not really planning on racing, but for sure romp on it around town...

I am not much into putting mods on cars. I ordered a Challenger to be my daily driver. For me, I wanted to get the best stock that I could. There will always be something better that comes along. Look both cars over choose what best suits you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
BEST ADVICE: TEST DRIVE BOTH (if you can). There are alot of difference between the 2011 and the 2010 besides the motor. There is much better suspension and steering. Also the brakes have been improved. I'm not sure exactly how much it would cost to bring the 2010 to the capabilities to the 2011, but it would get near the same price tag. And if you want to romp on it, the 2011 might be a bit better.

But like I said, test drive.....you really need to, we can tell you all the differences,but all the little things like the new steering wheel vs old and ride quality is mostly opinionated. You need to see for for yourself what car you really want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're trying to save some money, either get a 2010 R/T or a 2011 SE. If you're not trying to save money, get a 2011 SRT. A 2010 SE will be the lowest cost option, but it has the weakest engine of all, and essentially the same mileage as the R/T. Options play a big part in the price too and I would rather have a less optioned R/T than a loaded SE any day.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Remember one thing when you title either car and drive it off the lot it loses 10% or more of its resale value, new 2010 already should be lower because of it being a year older, I would go 2011 JMO

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My take is the differences between the 2010 and 2011 are nice, but the single biggest difference is in the V6. Like someone else stated, you may be able to get a 2010 R/T for near the same price as a 2011 SE. If that's the case, it's a no-brainer.

If you must have a V6/SE then I would think hard about the 2011, and do some shopping around. You may be surprised that some dealers may be willing to sell near invoice. I have no personal knowledge of this, just 40 years of buying cars, and a V6 Challenger is not exactly a collector's item. A 300+ HP V6 is quite nice, and you get the updated steering, suspension, steering wheel, hood struts, etc.

My personal opinion is nothing new on the 2011's makes up for the difference in a 2011 SE and a 2010 R/T. I would go R/T every time, especially if pricing is close.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts

when you sell the car in lets say 5-8 years the 2011 will probably sell for $1,000-$2,000 more because it will be 1 year newer....that should be part of your equation...also the 2011 has more power/better handling...that has a bit of value even if power doesnt matter much to you

if it were me id go for a 2010 RT instead of a 2011 SE...resale will be higher in 5-8 years than the SE and the car will be more fun to drive....ive heard of 6-7k off RT's

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess more info is needed...I can get an 2011 SE for right around 23k or I can get the 2010 SE for 17k both brand new (I think a couple of dealers order one to many challengers for the hugely green state I live...Oregon and are dumping them because they are sitting on a lot)...the cheapest I can find a 2010 RT is 27k...and that is just out of my price range...

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
New math?

Title: 2010 or 2011 7K difference in price
Text: I can get the 2010 for about 5k less then the 2011...both brand new...
Text: I can get an 2011 SE for right around 23k or I can get the 2010 SE for 17k both brand new = 6K difference

All kidding aside, if it were me, since you can't afford the R/T, I'd probably go with the 2010 and use the savings for mod money (assuming you can realize the difference as cash in your pocket). If you're going to finance the whole thing, either way, I'd go with the 2011, since you will not reap the true benefit of the cost reduction in terms of cash you can use to add mods.

Mike

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Color. Just make sure that you get the color that you really like.

The right color is PRICELESS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if your making payments, the difference is about $140 a month on a 60 mo loan
...$140 a month =
free gas for the life of the car, or thousands in mods, cosmetic or otherwise...if money isnt
an option, buy the 11 or look at it this way...a 2010 srt8 for price of a loaded 10 rt, or a 2010 rt for the price of an se...u get the picture.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If it's the SE's your looking at? I'd go with the 11. I'm not sure how many mods there are for the SE's truthfully.

The 11 comes with the 50 more hp. Has dual exhaust now. If your financing, (depending on your term) what's the difference on 5 - 6 grand over time? If it's reasonable, I'd go there.

Trade in value is another consideration. The 5 - 6 grand is kind of what I'd expect driving off the lot when it was a current year. 7 to 10 off would be a game changer. You might want to even hold off till the 11's start getting parked more on the dealership. With the factory additions done for the 11's.... they might lower the price more when they're side by side.

A few years down the road, when you may want to trade it in..say 5 years, the difference between the 2 years may only be 3 grand on trade. So you could be ahead, but If it were me, I'd go for the 11. 50 hp and the factory dual exhaust would justify the price.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Have you driven both a 2010 and a 2011? I think that would answer your question. Below are my thoughts on the differences:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/i-drove-2011-se-today-52153/

There is no question that the 2011 is the better performing SE, but $5,000-$7,000 is a lot of money considering the purchase price. I'd go for the 2010 and pocket the money or wait for the new 2011s to be discounted to around $17,000, which will probably happen around Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
R/T I'd go with the 2010 at a discount in a heartbeat
v6 SE... I would wait a few months, save up some more scratch, and then buy the 2011 hands down.

If you look out a few years the 09-10 3.5L v6's are going to be the ugly ducklings of the resale world.
Not putting the older previous gen v6 down... just stating a fact.
In 2015 anyone looking for a older v6 is going to look at cars with the newer v6 1st.
That is... unless they turn out to be problem laden turds...
If that's the case (not likely, but possible) then the time tested 3.5L might shine.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would go with a nicely equipped 2010. The changes for 2011 that you will be able to discern noticeably are minor.
I agree all of the sudden our 2010 and older are junk because they changed a few things:notallthere: where do these guys get thee info?
go with the 2010 save $$$$$ as most guys replied soon as you leave the lot they drop trust me i'm on my third one

·
Registered
276 Posts
From a fellow SE owner, IF you are serious about sticking with the SE, IF you don't care about power, take the savings on the 2010.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you prefer DWB or TorRed go for the 2010. Toxic Orange or Redline only on 2011. 2011 has some cool updates and some changes I don't like. Test drive both and decide the best deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts