Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am not car savvy at all. I will tell my father any details that is giving here. He owns a bunch of Mopars but he told me to post here to make sure we do the right thing first.

Anyways,
The error code P0462 comes up in my car every now and then. Usually I just clear it. When this code comes up, the gas gauge usually is on empty. After I clear it, it usually goes back up to where it should be over a span of minutes.

However, this week my gas light has been on every time I turn my car on. After a few minutes it will go to where it should be. it doesn't give a check engine light. That went on for a few days. Today it was the same except the check engine light finally came on along with the low fuel light. After I cleared it, it went back to normal.

In all, we are wondering what should be ordered. It's obviously on it's last leg and we just want to make sure. Looking on amazon we seen things like passenger fuel pump assemblies? That doesn't sound right, but here is the link to that: Amazon.com: Fuel Pump Assembly Passenger Replacement for Chrysler 300 Dodge Challenger Charger Magnum 5136023AE E7264A: Automotive

Here is the link to the fuel pump that we think is what we need to order: https://www.amazon.com/CUSTOM-Electric-Assembly-Installation-Challenger/dp/B01G1XVIOG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dodge+challenger+2010+fuel+level+sensor&qid=1578788692&replacementKeywords=fuel+level+sensor&s=automotive&sr=1-2&vehicle=2010-40-286------------&vehicleName=2010+Dodge+Challenger

Here is a post that I read that details the P0462 error: P0462 Dodge - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit Low

thanks for any insight on the issue!!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Your gas tank is under the rear seat and is draped across the transmission hump in the shape of an upside down U. Underneath each seat bottom is a fuel sending unit and the fuel pump (drivers side has the pump, passenger side has the sending unit IIRC).

From the sounds of it, the sending unit on the passenger side is your problem, but that’s only an educated guess. They are not terribly difficult to replace, but you are working with gas and gas fumes once you pull the units out of the tank, so appropriate precautions must be taken.

One more thing, there was a recall for the Chargers’ fuel pump/sending units, it would worth it for you to check to see if yours qualifies for that. If it does you might could get this fixed for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your gas tank is under the rear seat and is draped across the transmission hump in the shape of an upside down U. Underneath each seat bottom is a fuel sending unit and the fuel pump (drivers side has the pump, passenger side has the sending unit IIRC).

From the sounds of it, the sending unit on the passenger side is your problem, but that’s only an educated guess. They are not terribly difficult to replace, but you are working with gas and gas fumes once you pull the units out of the tank, so appropriate precautions must be taken.

One more thing, there was a recall for the Chargers’ fuel pump/sending units, it would worth it for you to check to see if yours qualifies for that. If it does you might could get this fixed for free.
ok I will. did you mean to say chargers had a recall or challengers? thank you!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
ok I will. did you mean to say chargers had a recall or challengers? thank you!
Charger, but they essentially the same so recalls often affect both

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm very bad with cars. My father owns a ton of Mopar vehicles, so what you guys refer to me here...I can tell him and we can get going on fixing the issue.

I just want to make sure that I am ordering the right part. I get the P0462 code. I was getting it every now and then. I would clear it and go on with my day, and it wouldn't return for a while. Now, it's getting more and more frequent. Here lately, when It comes up my fuel gauge goes lower than what it is. Sometimes I'll get in and it'll be on E and have to work it's way back up to the correct reading. Sometimes when it starts on E it'll trigger the code, and sometimes it won't.

anyways, when I look up the part for the code I find different parts at very different prices. From my readings, I understand that there is a passenger side and driver side fuel pump? There is a instrument cluster that sends the readings. I believe that my issue is a sensor shorting or has gone bad. I don't think I have replace both sides, rather than just the sensor or a pump?

Idk, I am unsure and that's why I am here. If you could, please send me links of the correct part!

Btw, the 0462 is the only code that I get. I have read where other people are getting other codes along with this one, but this is the only code that I get.

Thank you everyone so much!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
I tried to look up the relevant part numbers, but all of the options returned managed to confuse me too.

Maybe someone else will chime in with the correct info soon.

Meanwhile, I will say that I am not so sure your problem will be solved by component replacement alone. While the code does mention the low voltage fault is on at the fuel level sensor’s circuit, the problem could be the result of bad wiring connections or a corroded plug on the sending unit. There are just too many possibilities...

Before it’s all over, you may have to buy (and learn to use) a digital multimedia device so you can pinpoint the problem component.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to look up the relevant part numbers, but all of the options returned managed to confuse me too.

Maybe someone else will chime in with the correct info soon.

Meanwhile, I will say that I am not so sure your problem will be solved by component replacement alone. While the code does mention the low voltage fault is on at the fuel level sensor’s circuit, the problem could be the result of bad wiring connections or a corroded plug on the sending unit. There are just too many possibilities...

Before it’s all over, you may have to buy (and learn to use) a digital multimedia device so you can pinpoint the problem component.
thank you for the help! Yes, it's very confusing lol. I know my father has a reader that will hook up to the computer, just haven't used it on my car yet. Not sure if that's what you meant by multimedia device.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Assume you mean a digital multimeter?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes, danged auto correct!

I meant a DMM, like what would be used for a voltage drop test, or in this case, to test for the presence of voltage on the wiring harness pin(s), etc

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
P0462-Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit Low

Go to the Chilton site

2010 Dodge Challenger> Repair> In search box

P0462

P0462-Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit Low

Diagnosis and Testing

Good luck

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
You have to sign in and go through the site

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Cookies?

If all snacks are verboten on his browser, I bet the observed behavior is expected...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello,
I am having a p0462 issue. I made a post about this issue a while ago and got some great help. I've been reading up on it on the chilton's website. I'm still confused on what's wrong.

I've changed out the fuel pump sending unit. this here....the 19 gallon one for the R/T. My challenger is a 2010 R/T.
The old sending unit's lever wasn't reading the right voltage. When we would move the lever from top to middle it would read. Once it got to the middle it wouldn't read anything.That also made sense, because it was around the time the gas stopped reading correctly in the car (around a half a tank). Sometimes it would mess up before, but the car would always reset to a half a tank after I reset the P0462 code.

Anyways, when the new part came in, we tested the lever on that on too. It worked from low to high.

Side note: We did have to use the top from the old unit (with the connection end that comes with the lid). The new part had a different type of top. All the plugs was the same though.

This is the link to my old post I made over this issue.
Fast forward til now...
I replaced that part last night. I went to get gas because it said I was on empty..and I was.I let alot of the gas run out before replacing this part.I put $20 , which was 9.052 gallons...that should put me around a half a tank. When i cranked up the car from the gas station it read 1/4th.That isn't correct, but I thought maybe since it's new and it's first reading it would take a second. Sure enough, by the time I pulled out from the station it was 2 ticks from half...and stayed that way til I got home. I thought it was fixed.

Today, I went and got in my car to go to work. I cranked it and it read a nearly full tank. I was alarmed, but I was parked on a hill facing forward so I thought no biggy. By the time I backed up and started to pull out of my drive way it read 1/4th. Okay, now I'm worried because that isn't correct. It stayed at a 1/4th for about 5 minutes of 10-15 minute drive to work. When I pulled into work it was half way between 1/4th and a half. I was thinking "Okay, that's a little bit of gas used from last night, but maybe that's still right?"

Then...the engine light came on and it threw the P0462 code.

So, I'm not sure what I should do at this point. The Chilton's book says the 0462 code is a level 1 sensor. The level 1 sensor is located on the left side (driver side). Maybe I should open it back up and make sure the connection to the top of the sending unit (that was different and how to mix and match tops) is getting the right voltage?

If not that, i'm really unsure on what to do at this point...

Thanks everyone for at least taking the time to read this post. I'm not good with cars at all, and i'm positive you could tell by the way i worded all of this. My father, who is a mopar guy, has helped me with a lot of this. This particular issue isn't something he's ran into.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:
I tried pressing the mileage knob on the cluster and held while turning car on (but not starting up) to do the instrument cluster test. The fuel gauge went all the way to full then back down. stopped at every 4th on its way. I don't think its a short or issue to the cluster.

I just left to go do something and I cranked the car up and it was on E. The P0462 error code went off. I cleared it and it's now at a half of a tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts