Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gear swaps are always great for seat of the pants fun. Am thinking about a 3.55 or 3.73, and I think I may have to swap out the entire diff right? Can I reuse most of the other parts? I don't really drag race, so it's mostly for street fun. Not too worried about hooking hard with sticky tires. Currently have a 3.06 but not sure about much else???

·
Registered
639 Posts
Gear swaps are always great for seat of the pants fun. Am thinking about a 3.55 or 3.73, and I think I may have to swap out the entire diff right? Can I reuse most of the other parts? I don't really drag race, so it's mostly for street fun. Not too worried about hooking hard with sticky tires. Currently have a 3.06 but not sure about much else???
Keep in mind there are people on this MB that know a lot more about this than me.
That being said, I would put in a new unit that is a closed diff (posi) like a SRT or R/T manual comes with. Then I would go with 3.92 gears. My 10 R/T six speed has 3.92 gears and I enjoy it. Makes the car come alive. I would not do all the work that is needed to jump to a 3.55 or 3.73 gear set up. If you are going to do it, go with 3.92 gears.

Just my two cents

5,134 Posts
If you are going to do it, go with 3.92 gears.
Don't forget the autos have very steep gears to work with the 3.06, so going to a 3.92 would be quite radical.

To the OP, you have the 215mm open diff. Swapping the entire rear assembly, axles and hubs for a 6-speed 3.73 unit may be your best bet since you get the gear, bigger diff and LSD to boot. Quite a few on here have done it, and they may chime in.

Otherwise, I do believe a 3.55 gearset is available for the 215mm unit. Since you're not into racing, this could be a good route as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't forget the autos have very steep gears to work with the 3.06, so going to a 3.92 would be quite radical.

To the OP, you have the 215mm open diff. Swapping the entire rear assembly, axles and hubs for a 6-speed 3.73 unit may be your best bet since you get the gear, bigger diff and LSD to boot. Quite a few on here have done it, and they may chime in.

Otherwise, I do believe a 3.55 gearset is available for the 215mm unit. Since you're not into racing, this could be a good route as well.
Ok, if you go with a 3.92 setup, and have the "steep gears" for an auto what would the be similar to? 4.10 or 4.56 you think?

Something else, can the OP put in a closed diff from an SRT or manual tranny R/T?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You are going to need to change the pinion gear setting on the TCM otherwise, the car will go into limp mode as soon as you drive off. Swapping out the rearend is not like it used to be. The PCM and TCM have to work together.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Quaife makes a locker that will go in your differential. 3 of our vendors on here sale them. I am getting ready to put the Quaife in my 09. If you are not going to put over 550hp to the rear wheels this will be your least expensive set up for a LSD. I have been told by 2 of the vendors the 215 axles are good to about 600rwhp.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To install a Quaife carrier into a 215mm rear, you are looking at around $1400 for just the unit.
Then the rear has to be removed to install.
That means axle shafts have to be pulled also.
Then tear into the rear to install the Quaife.
Hope pre-load and backlash are OK as there is no adjustments.
And this cost is based on using the same gears.
Add 3:55 Richmond gears for $500 more.
Now you have to set-up the pinion gear also.

For around $1500-$1600 you can purchase the Getrag 226mm rear, axles, & hubs.
You would have a beefier rear with stronger axles and Limited Slip.
Plus you could get 3:73 or 3:91 gears already installed in the unit.
A complete bolt in set-up.
You could then sell the 215mm rear, axles, and hubs to a LX owner for about $500.
This is an upgrade to their units.

As far as the gear ratio change, a Predator is capable of making the different change to the PCM.

I have the Getrag 3:91 in my auto and they are quite low of a ratio.
But I race mine.
For the street, the 3:73 are a better choice.

Brad

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For around $1500-$1600 you can purchase the Getrag 226mm rear, axles, & hubs.
You would have a beefier rear with stronger axles and Limited Slip.
Plus you could get 3:73 or 3:91 gears already installed in the unit.
A complete bolt in set-up.
Brad
So this price is used parts if I can find them, or is this price for new stuff?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts