Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started the transformation of my 2010 furious fuchsia R/T Classic. It is at Drop Top Customs in High Springs, Florida. just got a couple of progress photos. I will post more of them here as I get them. Kinda scary to be dishing out that kind of cash to see someone torch the roof off, but I'm sure all will be well. They are a great bunch down there. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have started the transformation of my 2010 furious fuchsia R/T Classic. It is at Drop Top Customs in High Springs, Florida. just got a couple of progress photos. I will post more of them here as I get them. Kinda scary to be dishing out that kind of cash to see someone torch the roof off, but I'm sure all will be well. They are a great bunch down there. :smile:

Kinda like getting your wife breast enhancement surgery - costs a lot, scary to see her go under the knife, but you’re excited to take her top down after it’s all over.

Good luck, it’ll be over before you know it. One of my big frustrations is the lack of a convertible option, super cool that you’re going this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's finished. Before and after photo collage attached. Can't wait to get it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
This is the way Challengers were meant to be. If they don't come out with one soon, I may have to get the torch out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
That turned out great. I'm a hard top guy, but it looks great :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks fantastic! Love FF too. Have only seen one on the road. I would consider a drop top if they ever made it an option.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you don't mind....how much dinero, out the door (not counting the hood....just the drop-top conversion) and how long did it take.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Not a drop top fan but it looks great! Also curious how they reinforced the undercarriage and what about roll-over protection???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what did they do to reinforce the undercarriage once the roof was removed? BTW Looks nice.

They put a ladder frame style setup with welded box tubing under the car. They also add 2 pieces of tubing between the rear shock towers and a fancy crossmember painted body color between the front shock towers. It weighs about 40-50 lbs. more than the roof, but drastically lowers the cg of the car, making it handle even better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do they handle the rear quarter windo glass? Is it attached to the top?

The glass is replaced and made fully functional with switches on the dash. Placed right by the top up/down switch. they also move the GPS antenna to the trunk and the CHIMSL light to the spoiler. Only issue is I now have 3 sunroof switches that do nothing. Maybe I can use one for a nitrous button.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't mind....how much dinero, out the door (not counting the hood....just the drop-top conversion) and how long did it take.
$18K out the door complete. $9K up front and $9K when it is done. Takes 4 weeks. You are responsible for transport to and from, but we drove down from Michigan as we have kids and grandkids in Florida that we visited and made a spring break trip out of it. Having it trucked back. $1200 to truck to Michigan in an enclosed truck for the ride back. If you pick up the car at their shop, you have to pay FL sales tax of 6 1/2%. Comes out about the same as trucking it, so I took the lazy route.

My "old" ride was a '71 panther pink / black challenger convertible. Put a 440 in it, drag raced it for years and won the Mopar Nationals bracket 1 class in 2000. My 15 minutes of Mopar fame. Had to sell it many years ago. Always wanted another one of that similar color. Along came this one still new, but 1 year old sitting at the dealer. Got it for $32K out the door in 2011. Stickered for $40K. Paid it off last year. had to have another convertible, so... Now I have one that is more modern. Still a stock 5.7L in it though. Maybe one day I will supercharge it or find a beat up hellcat to transplant the drivetrain from.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That looks awesome!

I saw one in Rhode Island this week with the top down, but it was not fuchsia. That is such a great color.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think my black R/T with the red leather would look great with no top. If it's still mechanically sound when I'm in a position to drop $20K I don't need.....and FCA hasn't created a Convertible Cuda by then......this might happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts