Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger left the car sitting for about a month was perfectly fine before i left when i came back after the month CEL came on and ESP came on cannot get out of first or rpm past 2500 plugged a scanner it said TCM malfunction baught a new TCM and it still does not work I currently get code U0101 TCM is not receiving or transmitting messages on the CAN bus. I checked all fuses and relays nothing any have any ideas on what to check next?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure if you know about this but a member here found a link to the chilton's online manual that most of us have been using.

As for your issue. Below are some possible causes but if the car has been sitting, I would check wiring harnesses for signs of chew marks. Not uncommon for critters to chew up wiring...in fact there are several folks here that had issues pop up only to find chewed wires.

BTW if ESP continues to be lit, could be a bad sensor but usually a code will follow.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I have a 2010 Challenger left the car sitting for about a month was perfectly fine before i left when i came back after the month CEL came on and ESP came on cannot get out of first or rpm past 2500 plugged a scanner it said TCM malfunction baught a new TCM and it still does not work I currently get code U0101 TCM is not receiving or transmitting messages on the CAN bus. I checked all fuses and relays nothing any have any ideas on what to check next?
How many miles on the car?

Any recent work done prior to this that could be related, e.g. battery replacement, trans fluid drain and fill, uConnect upgrade, airbag recall/replacement, etc?

Who did the TCM replacement? Was it a new unit or a used one or refurbished or what?

No change at all in behavior after TCM replacement? No new behavior observed or old behavior no longer observed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on the car?

Any recent work done prior to this that could be related, e.g. battery replacement, trans fluid drain and fill, uConnect upgrade, airbag recall/replacement, etc?

Who did the TCM replacement? Was it a new unit or a used one or refurbished or what?

No change at all in behavior after TCM replacement? No new behavior observed or old behavior no longer observed?
25k on the car it was a refurbished u jt and yhe job was done by myself prior to replacement car would not go out of first or iver 2500rpm when shifting from park reverse or Drive a very bad jerking motion once tcm was changed it still had the same issue cleared the obd2 and one code came back up which was u0101

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
25k on the car it was a refurbished u jt and yhe job was done by myself prior to replacement car would not go out of first or iver 2500rpm when shifting from park reverse or Drive a very bad jerking motion once tcm was changed it still had the same issue cleared the obd2 and one code came back up which was u0101
Also the care is bone stock

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
If no tunes have been flashed over stock one, the problem almost certainly has to be wiring related and/or due to a bad/poor ground.

Assuming the battery is fully charged and neither post has any corrosion, start checking and testing wiring harness plugs at TCM and on transmission itself. That big plug on the front right side is known for leaking fluid into its loom and allowing it to wick upwards and cause problems.

Also, the replacement TCM would need to be programmed for the car’s rear-end ratio. If it has the incorrect ratio, that could cause the limp mode irrespective of the u0101 code. Do you have a way to verify the new TCM has the correct rear-end ratio?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If no tunes have been flashed over stock one, the problem almost certainly has to be wiring related and/or due to a bad/poor ground.

Assuming the battery is fully charged and neither post has any corrosion, start checking and testing wiring harness plugs at TCM and on transmission itself. That big plug on the front right side is known for leaking fluid into its loom and allowing it to wick upwards and cause problems.

Also, the replacement TCM would need to be programmed for the car’s rear-end ratio. If it has the incorrect ratio, that could cause the limp mode irrespective of the u0101 code. Do you have a way to verify the new TCM has the correct rear-end ratio?
I do not have a way to verify. And what would be some ways to verify i highly appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I do not have a way to verify. And what would be some ways to verify i highly appreciate the help
You could set it with a handheld tuner like the Predator or inTune/Trinity. Beyond that, you would probably have to take it to a dealership service department.

Depending on where you purchased it, they may have made sure it was already programmed with the correct axle ratio. If they asked for a VIN, that might have been why.

While the axle ratio is certainly important to have correct, it may not be the reason the transmission is stuck in Limp mode if you never even drove it after replacing TCM. As far as I know, an axle ratio mismatch wouldn’t cause the Limp mode until you tried to drive it and the PCM/ECU became aware of something wrong with the expected speed of the car versus actual. It would also cause a corresponding trouble code to be set I believe.

So if you haven’t even driven the car since TCM replacement, and especially if no trouble code is set indicating axle ratio mismatch, that is unlikely to be the root cause of the current Limp mode issue.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
For what it’s worth, if it were me trying to troubleshoot this on my car, I would probably put original TCM back in before continuing the diagnosis. The reason being, there are just too many new variables introduced by another TCM, especially since it does not appear to have made any difference in the original problem(s).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
Nuke
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing