Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger Classic Rt 6sp
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of doing a single to dual fan upgrade on a 2010 RT 6sp. I have an oil cooler kit from HHP. I'm trying to find a parts list . I'm lost with the radiator and fan choices . For the radiator, I've read Severe Duty 1 and 2 and a Maximum Duty Cooler. Also the aftermarket like Mishimoto, Flyidyne and others. If it's just a matter of changing hoses to accommodate different inlet and outlet sizes, for a much better radiator that would be great.
For fans, could a Dorman 620-039XD dual fan unit be wired to work or are they junk ? Should I go with a factory dual fan if there is one for my car ? Is there is a harness for single to dual fan conversion ? My single fan has a 4 wire connector with 3 prongs. Is there any other relays that need to be added or removed for fan functions ? Are the fan speeds just low and high or can there be low, med and high. Any insight would be great !!

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
605 Posts
On the LXForums is the epic Frankencooler thread started back in 2007ish which you may find VERY informational. Was the HHP oil cooler you bought the factory block-mounted oil-to-water 392/POC (police oil cooler) unit, the factory Hellcat passenger side stacked plate cooler, or some other aftermarket offering?

They address radiators a bit in the Frankencooler and there is a difference in SRT inlet/outlet (1.6"?) vs the R/T (1.4"?) and thus the hose sizes. Between the Fluidyne and Mishimoto I'd chose the former...every single time. Read the reviews out there on the latter and come to your own conclusion - you'll probably get to use the lifetime warranty!

I think I already addressed this in another thread of yours, but the Mopar dual fans from SRT8s & Charger Pursuits will mount up no problem (at least that's the case for my 2010 Challenger R/T). I specifically got one from the same year so I knew there'd be no connector issue. You can usually find unbroken take-offs on eBay for less than $150. Either here or LXF was a recent thread with "Overcooling" in the title which covered the 3 different fan motors Mopar used. It persuaded me to buy a couple of the 3090 rpm motors to put in mine.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
I got a MOPAR dual fan cheap from a salvage yard and purchased new MOPAR fan motors coming in cheaper than a new MOPAR dual fan setup.

You will need different hoses.

From Rockauto page. Pricey $356.79 but probably the best quality.
MOPAR 68050131AA
For Vehicles Built Up to 06/28/2010; Severe Duty II Engine Cooling; 2 Door Sedan

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the LXForums is the epic Frankencooler thread started back in 2007ish which you may find VERY informational. Was the HHP oil cooler you bought the factory block-mounted oil-to-water 392/POC (police oil cooler) unit, the factory Hellcat passenger side stacked plate cooler, or some other aftermarket offering?

They address radiators a bit in the Frankencooler and there is a difference in SRT inlet/outlet (1.6"?) vs the R/T (1.4"?) and thus the hose sizes. Between the Fluidyne and Mishimoto I'd chose the former...every single time. Read the reviews out there on the latter and come to your own conclusion - you'll probably get to use the lifetime warranty!

I think I already addressed this in another thread of yours, but the Mopar dual fans from SRT8s & Charger Pursuits will mount up no problem (at least that's the case for my 2010 Challenger R/T). I specifically got one from the same year so I knew there'd be no connector issue. You can usually find unbroken take-offs on eBay for less than $150. Either here or LXF was a recent thread with "Overcooling" in the title which covered the 3 different fan motors Mopar used. It persuaded me to buy a couple of the 3090 rpm motors to put in mine.
The HHP oil cooler is
MOPAR Police Package Oil Cooler Kit (2005-2012 5.7L/6.1L HEMI Vehicles)
I ordered the fan motors you used (dual 3090 rpm) and new blades.
I found a dual fan assembly with harness on EBAY from a 08/09 charger. No damage.
Im going to look into a Fluidyne. My company carries the Mish. for just over $500.00. What radiator are you running ?
I also want to thank you for all your insight and information ! Been extremely helpful !!

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
I upgraded it as you are doing your Challenger to my 2013 Charger, dual fans, thicker radiator, factory oil cooler. I got a Spectra Premium radiator from Rock Auto. Its been fine but no longer available.

They are known to sell API radiators in heavy duty or severe cooling thicknesses. Stock & MFG brands change periodically.

The fan motors are different p/n for left and right on some year models. And the nuts that hold the blades on are left hand thread. Don't use an impact gun on them.

I had to find the hoses and add the thermostat housing with the hose nipple for the oil cooler hose. The hoses can be a maze to find. Your year model might use the barbed nipple from the WP to the oil cooler.

Its a nice upgrade. The difference is she very rarely runs the fans on high even in the Atlanta summer heat. Temps recover much faster after romping. Cruise temps are cooler.

One difference I noted in peak summer heat is sitting in a drive through line I hit regularly in the city. I'm doing this on the way to work so I'm navigating spirited and when I get there.

With the single fan she will eventually run it on high speed and cycle in and out of high a few times.
With the dual fans because I was dogging her before pulling in she will hit high speed fans just once for about 20 seconds and maintain the temps @196-199°F on low fan speed.

Also, save the little rubber or plastic strip flap seals on the sides of the old radiator, and you will need to replace the top and bottom radiator seals as the old ones will not clip on the thicker unit. All these seals make sure you are pulling all the air through the radiator.
They are a pita but insures you are getting all you can from your system. Pictured below.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I upgraded it as you are doing your Challenger to my 2013 Charger, dual fans, thicker radiator, factory oil cooler. I got a Spectra Premium radiator from Rock Auto. Its been fine but no longer available.

They are known to sell API radiators in heavy duty or severe cooling thicknesses. Stock & MFG brands change periodically.

The fan motors are different p/n for left and right on some year models. And the nuts that hold the blades on are left hand thread. Don't use an impact gun on them.

I had to find the hoses and add the thermostat housing with the hose nipple for the oil cooler hose. The hoses can be a maze to find. Your year model might use the barbed nipple from the WP to the oil cooler.

Its a nice upgrade. The difference is she very rarely runs the fans on high even in the Atlanta summer heat. Temps recover much faster after romping. Cruise temps are cooler.

One difference I noted in peak summer heat is sitting in a drive through line I hit regularly in the city. I'm doing this on the way to work so I'm navigating spirited and when I get there.

With the single fan she will eventually run it on high speed and cycle in and out of high a few times.
With the dual fans because I was dogging her before pulling in she will hit high speed fans just once for about 20 seconds and maintain the temps @196-199°F on low fan speed.

Also, save the little rubber or plastic strip flap seals on the sides of the old radiator, and you will need to replace the top and bottom radiator seals as the old ones will not clip on the thicker unit. All these seals make sure you are pulling all the air through the radiator.
They are a pita but insures you are getting all you can from your system. Pictured below.

View attachment 1015614
Awesome info ! Thank you !!

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
You can find oil coolers used or factory take-offs on e-Bay. You have to pull your OE filter adapter stud and replace with a longer one. Its in there tight with thread locker. With a good allen socket break it loose, then work it back and forth a couple times as you remove it.

Oil Cooler: 5037523AB, This one has the correct block adapter to use the same oil filter (M22-1.5), some older ones had an English size thread. Check ebay, there are some new takeoffs from crate motors there.

Cooler to thermostat housing hose: Gates 12050
Thermostat housing: Dorman 902315 - Mopar 53022168AD

Mopar lower Rad hose with oil cooler branch. 5039042AG
Gates T-Stat Housing to Oil Cooler Hose. GATES 12050

·
Registered
605 Posts
What radiator are you running ?
I have a dual pass aluminum unit from joelvan on LXF. Joel VanDiver was a NASA Champion road racer down south who had them custom made several years back. Unfortunately, he no longer offers them. A couple other race quality aluminum rads for our Hemis are available from Ron Davis and C&R but they list at over $1k!

That oil cooler kit from HHP is indeed the POC and includes everything needed to install it on your R/T - cooler unit, 22x1.5mm stem, hose clamps, lower T'd hose, upper hose with plastic retainer, and t-stat housing with nipple. By the way, that plastic piece on the upper hose fastens to the fan shroud in order to keep the hose away from the serpentine belt.

The cooler & stem come packaged together and the part number ending in -AB indicates it'll be M22x1.5 threaded which is for 2009+ Hemi blocks. The -AA unit had a stem threaded for 3/4”-16 filters found on the '05-08 Hemis (so it'd still work for you but you'd have to change filters). Don't fret about the horror stories of removing the stud from the block - that was just for '05-08 ones which had no real means of grasping it. Your 2010 will have the hex head on the stud making it much easier to remove - it'll still require some elbow grease though.

While your at it, now would be a great time to put in a 180F t-stat if you haven't done it already. I had a Jet that didn't open at the correct temp when test boiling it so I went with a Stant SuperStat which has been perfect. Just be sure to adjust your fans settings down 20F as well (from 210 low/220 high to 190/200 or thereabout).

Hemissary on LXF has a thread about a Swagelock purge valve for the water pump you may want to look into. Makes burping any air out of the system much easier than using that notoriously awful hex plug.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a dual pass aluminum unit from joelvan on LXF. Joel VanDiver was a NASA Champion road racer down south who had them custom made several years back. Unfortunately, he no longer offers them. A couple other race quality aluminum rads for our Hemis are available from Ron Davis and C&R but they list at over $1k!

That oil cooler kit from HHP is indeed the POC and includes everything needed to install it on your R/T - cooler unit, 22x1.5mm stem, hose clamps, lower T'd hose, upper hose with plastic retainer, and t-stat housing with nipple. By the way, that plastic piece on the upper hose fastens to the fan shroud in order to keep the hose away from the serpentine belt.

The cooler & stem come packaged together and the part number ending in -AB indicates it'll be M22x1.5 threaded which is for 2009+ Hemi blocks. The -AA unit had a stem threaded for 3/4”-16 filters found on the '05-08 Hemis (so it'd still work for you but you'd have to change filters). Don't fret about the horror stories of removing the stud from the block - that was just for '05-08 ones which had no real means of grasping it. Your 2010 will have the hex head on the stud making it much easier to remove - it'll still require some elbow grease though.

While your at it, now would be a great time to put in a 180F t-stat if you haven't done it already. I had a Jet that didn't open at the correct temp when test boiling it so I went with a Stant SuperStat which has been perfect. Just be sure to adjust your fans settings down 20F as well (from 210 low/220 high to 190/200 or thereabout).

Hemissary on LXF has a thread about a Swagelock purge valve for the water pump you may want to look into. Makes burping any air out of the system much easier than using that notoriously awful hex plug.
Im confused on Mopar radiator choices. Im seeing
Radiator (Severe Duty 2 Version)
5170742AA at $190.00
and a
Engine Cooling Radiator
68050126AB at $340.00
Isn't the severe duty 2 supposed to be the better option ? Thicker and more of a capacity ? The price is throwing me way off. I called the dealer to get measurements, however the dealer was no help at all.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Um, whatever the SRT/Hellcats get which I believe is the Severe Duty II although something in the back of my mind tells me it also went by another name. I know it's not the Maximum Duty as that was an export only radiator with proprietary return outlet fitting. I'd PM SteveWhiteParts (aka Luke) here or call his parts department who will be more than capable of getting you the right part number.

Beware you'll have to play around with hoses if putting a 6.1/6.4 radiator in a 5.7 car - which is further complicated by the Mopar oil cooler...

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
Yes look at this 2010 SRT list. #26 for the seals. 2010 SRT list. #26 for the seals.

And several radiator and hose options.
I had lots of fun navigating parts lists both on Gates and Continental sites finding the right hose sizes. Once you get away from the standard cooling stuff they are the same. The Water pump ends are the same for all of them.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes look at this 2010 SRT list. #26 for the seals. 2010 SRT list. #26 for the seals.

And several radiator and hose options.
I had lots of fun navigating parts lists both on Gates and Continental sites finding the right hose sizes. Once you get away from the standard cooling stuff they are the same. The Water pump ends are the same for all of them.
Thank you ! Do you mean number 27 ?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

View attachment 1015614
Ok . I received my dual cooling fans assembly. Its not a 2010 like I have. Its from a 2008 charger. Different wiring harness on the fans. The car harness is female. The fan harness is female also. Any clue what the wiring should be ? What colors go to what ?

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
If you want plug and play harness and OE reliability, get a salvaged set of fans and install new MOPAR motors. Swat I deeid.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
Ok . I received my dual cooling fans assembly. Its not a 2010 like I have. Its from a 2008 charger. Different wiring harness on the fans. The car harness is female. The fan harness is female also. Any clue what the wiring should be ? What colors go to what ?

2008 Charger

2010 Challenger
Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering Electric blue

A Guy

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts