Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2011 Black Challenger SE rallye package SST group on order since October. The military new car sales program supposedly had a promised delivery date to port of 2 Feb, it is now a month late and stuck on a railcar in OH. I am getting very impatient, so I went to my dealer and he told me of a few 2010 R/T's they have in stock with 8K in discounts and 1k in loyalty/college grad cash, so I went and checked them out. They are all RT classics, and they don't have any extra features added to the packages, all and all it would have been cheaper then my SE with every feature added, so as you can see I had a tough choice to make; I am getting $2750 in discounts on my SE. I was very tempted, but I choose to wait for my dream car, instead of sacrificing the amenities I wanted (remote start, nav, keyless entry, ipod, etc) for the bigger engine. The RT sure would have been fun to drive, but with all the niceties I wanted, plus the extra $70 a month I would have paid insurance, I decided that I will be happier in the long run by waiting. I am sure many on the forums would have went for the bigger engine, but I just thought I would share my story. Wish me luck as I prepare to wait at least another month ( its 22 days on a ship once it reaches port), instead of driving an RT right now. It was a very hard choice to make.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Those days go by slowly don't they? Well as long as you're satisfied with your choice, enjoy.

I'll admit, as a purely visceral thing, the Hemi is a kick in the pants, and I can take or leave the amenities; but the new '11's do get 300 HP, which is nice.

Thanks for serving Sarg!

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you're happy with your choice than you made the right one. The Hemi is nice, but so is getting your car equipped exactly as you want it. Congratulations on a great car!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yep, your call. I'm guessing you wanted opinions since you posted the issue, so here goes:

Both vehicles being brand new and cost being equal, I would never substitute a V6 for the Hemi. The other options just aren't that important to me, but that's me. I would carry a higher deductible on my insurance if needed.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
hope you don't have to wait much longer
That overseas AAFES purchase is a pretty good deal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is looking like the railcar in OH finally is on the move again, so hopefully it wont be much longer.

I figured most guys on the forums would prefer the V8, but insurance is much more expensive in Germany. The $70 increase would put my premium at $240 a month; you have to carry 7 million euro in liablity insurance in Germany, versus the 50 to 100k most people carry in the states.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It is looking like the railcar in OH finally is on the move again, so hopefully it wont be much longer.

I figured most guys on the forums would prefer the V8, but insurance is much more expensive in Germany. The $70 increase would put my premium at $240 a month; you have to carry 7 million euro in liablity insurance in Germany, versus the 50 to 100k most people carry in the states.
OMG, is that the Autobahn factor? Before I would pay that much I would first pee down both legs, and then I would go buy a bike. We have a Challenger, a Lexus, and a Ford F-150, full coverage on all 3, homeowners insurance to the tune of $400K, and my monthly premium is $142.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would take the V8 R/T Classic in a heartbeat...(as you can tell, I'm not a big fan of V6-powered "musclecars"):bigthumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG, is that the Autobahn factor? Before I would pay that much I would first pee down both legs, and then I would go buy a bike. We have a Challenger, a Lexus, and a Ford F-150, full coverage on all 3, homeowners insurance to the tune of $400K, and my monthly premium is $142.

No it's the high liability requirement in Europe. The 7 million euro in coverage is to cover potential medical bills and what not. Contrary to popular belief, large portions of the autobahn are capped at anywhere from 100 - 130 Km, or 60-85 miles per hour. There are parts that are unrestricted though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The newest wrinkle in my agonizing wait for my 2011 SE, is that my dealer found me a 2010 R/T with all the same features for 31K. I would have jumped on it except that it is currently in PA, and now my car has finally moved from OH to MD. I think that if I made the switch now, I would have to wait longer for the R/T since now it would have to be moved to MD for shipping to Germany. I really just want my car.

·
Banned
484 Posts
^^^^ I would wait for this car. u know u want the hemi, it has the options u want, and a comprable price. Probably can get it cheaper than that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Move

There is a host of changes to the 2011. Suspension is all redone as well as brakes and steering. That is the most important but there are others. They are offering good incentives for the 2010 but I think you will be pleased with your decision. I'm holding off till the V6 and 8 speed auto mate up:).

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
464 Posts
But imagine a nice 2010 R/T Classic with the Heritage wheels and a modern Hi Impact Paint color! Furious Fuchsia, Detonator Yellow, Plum Crazy Purple, B5 Blue, Hemi Orange, TorRed, oh my!

And under the hood, a HEMI. (I contemplated it and made the upgrade from SE to R/T.)

In any case, enjoy your Challenger--whatever the engine, color or year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts