Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound Group II - $910
368 watt amplifier; Seven upgraded speaker(s) Boston Acoustics; Disc autochanger dashboard, 6 and DVD; Audio system with Disc Autochanger and six-disc remote changer; If: [RER] Media Center 730N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV Radio And [AFC] Electronics Convenience Group; New Price 185.00: Requires: [2_J] Quick Order Package; Excludes: [AAX] Sound Group

Is the 7th speaker a subwoofer in trunk?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I heard/read somewhere that it is a sub.

I will know more in a weeks time once I get my new Chally as it has the sound group as well. Curious what the quality of those speakers/sub are.

Edit: Here's where I saw it, in the Build & Price on Dodge.ca

30GB Hard Drive w/6700 Song Capacity
368 Watt Amplifier
6.5" Touch Screen Display
7 Boston Acoustic Speakers w/Subwoofer
Radio: Media Centre 430 CD/DVD/HDD

This option features:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Feature: Radio data system
The audio system is capable of receiving a Radio Data System (RDS) sub-channel, broadcast by some radio stations, which contains identification and programming information.
Feature: DVD-Audio
DVD-Audio is a format for delivering high-fidelity audio content on a DVD disc.
Feature: External memory control
The vehicle can directly access and control digital memory stored on a hard-drive or memory card/stick. Digital memory can contain audio, video, pictures, or general files.
Feature: Internal memory
Digital memory storage permanently contained within the vehicle, associated with the audio system.
Feature: Internal memory capacity
The digital memory storage capacity associated with the vehicle's audio system, measured in gigabytes (GB).
Feature: Brand name speakers
Brand name speakers are provided by aftermarket audio equipment manufacturers and the system has typically been tuned and engineered specifically for the particular vehicle.
Feature: Regular grade amplifier
An amplifier increases the power, which in turn improves the sound of the audio system.
Feature: Voice activated audio controls
The audio system functions respond to voice command.
Feature: First row LCD monitor
One or more LCD screens are located in the vehicle's first row of seating.
Feature: Entertainment system with DVD and digital media
The vehicle is equipped with an entertainment system that plays media from DVD or a digital storage device.
Feature: Voice recorder
A digital voice recorder takes verbal notes for playback.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A picture of my 2010 RT Classic with Sound Group II if it helps. Ignore the water spots on the trunk. Pics were taken the first week I had my car and hadn't washed and detailed it myself at that time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A picture of my 2010 RT Classic with Sound Group II if it helps. Ignore the water spots on the trunk. Pics were taken the first week I had my car and hadn't washed and detailed it myself at that time.

It comes stock with a speaker box like that?

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
It comes stock with a speaker box like that?
That's not the OEM setup for RT SG II - the rear seat folds down - that speaker box would negate that feature/functionality of trunk space.

The OEM setup for RT SGII is 3 dash, 2 in doors, 2 rear deck and the 8" round sub is mounted in the rear parcel shelf between the 2 rear speakers.

There's a fiberboard cover that conceals the 3 rear speakers in the parcel shelf.

The OEM SRT Kicker uses the (single) 10" square sub in the left rear quarter of the trunk wall.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's not the OEM setup for RT SG II - the rear seat folds down - that speaker box would negate that feature/functionality of trunk space.

The OEM setup for RT SGII is 3 dash, 2 in doors, 2 rear deck and the 8" round sub is mounted in the rear parcel shelf between the 2 rear speakers.

There's a fiberboard cover that conceals the 3 rear speakers in the parcel shelf.

The OEM SRT Kicker uses the (single) 10" square sub in the left rear quarter of the trunk wall.
WHew... thanks for clarifying. I was about to cancel my sound group ii on my order. Im sure those speakers sound good, but I'll need the functionality of folding my seats down...

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I have sound group II and like Hal said the seat still goes down. It's not the first time I've seen pictures of a big speaker box in the trunk. It must be a popular mod but I think it's after market.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have sound group II and like Hal said the seat still goes down. It's not the first time I've seen pictures of a big speaker box in the trunk. It must be a popular mod but I think it's after market.
Nope - that's stock. I bought my Challenger new from my dealer that way and there was nothing on the paperwork to indicate they had added anything else. It was in there when I first test drove it.

I did have the understanding that Sound Group II for SRTs and RTs were different and assumed this was the RT style while the SRTs have the Kicker that attaches to the side of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I might be wrong but none of the stuff I've read say anything about SRT SGII being differant than RTs. Not sure what the kicker option is. Does the build sheet show anything except the radio and SG II

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Does the build sheet show something other than this.
RC7P 7 Boston Acoustics Spkrs w/Subwoofer
RDFP 368 Watt Amplifier
RDLS Integrated in Rear Window Antenna
RDZP Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls
RER Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
RSCP SIRIUS Satellite Radio
RSPP Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth
RSSP SIRIUS Traffic
RSTP iPod(R) Control
Mine is a 10 Classsic too. I don't know why you have that big box.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, here's what mine lists on the sticker under Optional Equipment. Looked around for my build sheet and can't find it, but will request one from Dodge if I can. I tried to list anything that might have been related to sound options.

Plum Crazy Pearl Coat Exterior Paint
Customer Preferred Package 28M
1-year SIRIUS Radio Service
(etc.)
276-Watt Amplifier
6 Boston Acoustics Speakers
(etc.)
R/T Group
SIRIUS Satellite Radio

Electronics Convenience Group
(details etc.)
Uconnect Phone with Voice Command
iPod Control
(etc, etc.)

Sound Group II
368-Watt Amplifier
7 Boston Acoustics Speakers with Subwoofer

High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps (ha! didn't even realize mine were HIDs until now)

Media Center 730N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV Radio
1-Year SIRIUS Traffic Service
GPS Navigation
SIRIUS Traffic

Then on to destination charge and total price.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't see it. Dodge should send you a build sheet. I emailed Dodge.com and ask for mine and had an email with it in it the next day. I like the looks of your speaker box but I don't know if I'ld want it taking up that much of the trunk.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't see it. Dodge should send you a build sheet. I emailed Dodge.com and ask for mine and had an email with it in it the next day. I like the looks of your speaker box but I don't know if I'ld want it taking up that much of the trunk.
It threw me off when I was at the dealer lot - I wasn't expecting something that big. I didn't mind it though - my daily driver is a 2003 Durango. Aside from road trips, I really don't need the trunk space for anything else.

Anyway, I've requested one to see if we can figure out where the different speakers are coming in. Hopefully will have it from Dodge in a couple of days :)

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I saw someone looking for this and it's about the same size but about $1K so I don't think they threw it in for good measure.
77KICK20AB

·
Registered
460 Posts
I might be wrong but none of the stuff I've read say anything about SRT SGII being differant than RTs. Not sure what the kicker option is. Does the build sheet show anything except the radio and SG II
Here's the Kicker option that mounts to the side of the trunk that Hal and I were referring to:

Next, here's the same box as mine on what appears to be a stock 300C:

W.P. Chrysler Executive Series 300C Rodeo Drive Plus 6

And found another post referencing the box mine has as a Mopar part:

"Well, I finally got time to install my new Kicker dual 10" sub box for my car. For those of you that don't know, this is a Mopar part. The part # is 77KICK20 Challenger."

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The ones I saw when I googled that part # showed 2 speakers in a box across the back. That one you show is what I thought was the normal kicker and that's mounted on the side of the trunk and not across the back.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll email you mine if you want it to compare with. PM me the address if you want it.
Cool - I'll drop you a line when I get mine from Dodge and we'll compare notes. I just have a hard time believing it's a separate option not listed on any of the paperwork that the dealer threw in while on their lot at no charge out of the goodness of their hearts :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts