Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has been covered before with previous posts with a lot of different speculations about what the "tick" could be in the 3.5 motors. I have an annoying tick in my engine on cold start ups that gets louder when you rev the motor. From reading other posts I believe the rocker arms need to be replaced but there is no recall on these so far, at least not that I have seen. Everytime I take my car to the dealer for an oil change I remind them of it and they always tell me either they don't hear it, or its just normal. This irritates the crap out of me because I can hear it clearly!!!:mad: I don't know what else to really do other than maybe get a second opinion from another dodge dealer? This tick is loud at times but is not noticeable during warm or hot weather. Any input would be much appreciated....

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
never heard this tick in my 09 SE

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea some guys never hear a tick in the 3.5 and thats what makes me not believe its "normal"

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I never had this issue with my '09 either.

Just out of curiosity, are you using something other than the recommended 10W-30 oil?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running the recommended oil...I always get my oil changes at the dealership too since they are no more expensive than any of the other legitimate shops in my area.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think this has been covered before with previous posts with a lot of different speculations about what the "tick" could be in the 3.5 motors. I have an annoying tick in my engine on cold start ups that gets louder when you rev the motor. From reading other posts I believe the rocker arms need to be replaced but there is no recall on these so far, at least not that I have seen. Everytime I take my car to the dealer for an oil change I remind them of it and they always tell me either they don't hear it, or its just normal. This irritates the crap out of me because I can hear it clearly!!!:mad: I don't know what else to really do other than maybe get a second opinion from another dodge dealer? This tick is loud at times but is not noticeable during warm or hot weather. Any input would be much appreciated....
There is no recall, but there are some threads detailing what rocker arms/parts need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2009 V6 Challenger
465 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I would recommend to seek a 2nd opinion from another dealer to review the ticking noise you are hearing on a cold start up. Keep us posted on the results.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would recommend to seek a 2nd opinion from another dealer to review the ticking noise you are hearing on a cold start up. Keep us posted on the results.
Thankyou...I will try that soon and let everyone know what I find.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My dad's 3.5 had the rocker arm change because of this.

2012 Challenger SXT Black-out, SRT Wheels

1996 Caprice LT1 B4U, Hotchkis coil, Bilstein Shock, Dick Miller Brace, Air intake, Pypes Cat back. 180deg

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I am seeing this has been a common problem like I thought...guess I will keep nagging at them til they finally do it. In the meantime I will get a second opinion as well...thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
09 Challenger SE
29 Posts
Interesting. After finding this thread it makes me want to do some more digging. My 09 3.5 has had this same problem on and off for a while now but last week I started it up after sitting for several days and it knocked like an old diesel. I was thinking it sounded like hydrolic lifters wernt holding pressure but I haven't had time to look into it yet. Anyone have any links to any other threads that detail the problem and how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sometimes I hear a rattling noise when I'm accelerating. It sort of sound like little rocks in a can when you shake them. Anyone experienced this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Come over to the thread. DEAR DODGE CARES. We have a group that is fighting Dodge over this mow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts