Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of days this past week, due to my truck being out-of-service, I had rented a 2013 SE Challenger from Enterprise, giving me a chance to compare it to my wife's 2010. Frankly, I liked the 2010 better for these reasons:
1. I actually like the RAM logo in the hood of the 2010.
2. The 2010 had smoother styling, uninterrupted by the chrome gas filler door.
3. The tutti-fruity colored lights around the console and dashboard on the 2013 are a distraction.
4. The 2010 offered a nice, deep, house-shaking exhaust rumble, while the 2013 had a higher-pitched gay-sounding Euro squeal.
5. The steering wheel on the 2013 contained some hidden buttons on the back that would change the radio station when inadvertently touched.

Only one thing where the 2013 seemed better - that was the instant feel of 50 more horsepower.

These are my own personal opinions and observations.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I feel just the opposite, having looked at 10, and even driving it all weekend I just wasn't sold, I could not get comfortable, no matter how I set the seat. The car seemed way under powered, and after that experience I pretty much wrote the Challenger off. When I ended up buying my 12, I pulled into dealer to look at Camaro, but seen the Challenger, and it just called me, after driving it all over Bham, I couldn't believe it, the car felt so much better, even though I got the base version, I am extremely pleased with my car, and I am glad I waited to get it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Them Ralley Redlines ...

My 2010.

My 2013.

No comparison for me but mine are apples and oranges. My 2010 was one of the most basic SE you could by and the 2013 Rallye Redline is one of the most loaded SXT you can get.
.....Are sharp looking. The bigger wheels seem to fill the wheel well better.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah this is why they say "to each their own". Everybody has their own thoughts and opinions and that's why it's cool to go to car shows because you get to see all kinds of different tastes and likes/dislikes.

I personally wouldn't touch a 2010 or older model with a 10 foot pole. The interiors are just plain awful. It looks like Rubbermaid designed the dash, door panels, switches, and seats. The engine is weak. The lack of chrome fuel filler door makes an already incredibly plain car even more plain and blah looking. No dual exhaust tips. The quality during those years was some of the worst Chrysler ever produced. The wheels were ugly. Basically, the entire car was very unappealing. If they hadn't made all the changes they did, I would have never bought my SXT.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
great now we get V6'rs trashing other V6's, what's next? should have stopped at "to each their own"

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yeah this is why they say "to each their own". Everybody has their own thoughts and opinions and that's why it's cool to go to car shows because you get to see all kinds of different tastes and likes/dislikes.

I personally wouldn't touch a 2010 or older model with a 10 foot pole. The interiors are just plain awful. It looks like Rubbermaid designed the dash, door panels, switches, and seats. The engine is weak. The lack of chrome fuel filler door makes an already incredibly plain car even more plain and blah looking. No dual exhaust tips. The quality during those years was some of the worst Chrysler ever produced. The wheels were ugly. Basically, the entire car was very unappealing. If they hadn't made all the changes they did, I would have never bought my SXT.
The Dashes are the same. Are you referring to the instrument cluster gauge faces? or the center stack treatment?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Dashes are the same. Are you referring to the instrument cluster gauge faces? or the center stack treatment?
I'm referring to everything. The radios, switches, seats, materials, gauges, all of it. The basic dash is the same...but it's been very much improved. The added LED lighting is fantastic. The steering wheel is now leather wrapped. So is the shift knob. There are additional chrome accents. The climate controls are different and auto climate control is now standard too. The door panels are different. If you get into a 2009 SE and then get into a 2013 SXT it's like night and day. And that's just the interior. There's a laundry list of things they changed on the exterior too.

Basically, now days the SXT and R/T are the exact same car, minus the Hemi engine and spoiler and minor suspension tweaks. You get a whole lot more for the money with the base model than you used to.

And for the record, I'm not "bashing" anybody. He gave his opinion and I gave mine. I think we're keeping this very civil actually. :hippy:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I'm referring to everything. The radios, switches, seats, materials, gauges, all of it. The basic dash is the same...but it's been very much improved. The added LED lighting is fantastic. The steering wheel is now leather wrapped. So is the shift knob. There are additional chrome accents. The climate controls are different and auto climate control is now standard too. The door panels are different. If you get into a 2009 SE and then get into a 2013 SXT it's like night and day. And that's just the interior. There's a laundry list of things they changed on the exterior too.

Basically, now days the SXT and R/T are the exact same car, minus the Hemi engine and spoiler and minor suspension tweaks. You get a whole lot more for the money with the base model than you used to.

And for the record, I'm not "bashing" anybody. He gave his opinion and I gave mine. I think we're keeping this very civil actually. :hippy:

well because something was "improved" (which can be subjective) doesn't mean the previous version was crap.
you used terms like "just plain awful", "weak", "incredibly plain" (a term I have never heard used when describing a challengers looks btw), "blah" (again go figure), "worst quality EVER produced", "entire car unappealing".

I'd hate to see how you describe something that you ARE bashing.

Not even sure how to address the "SXT and R/T being basically the exact same car" other than lot's of V6 owners try to wrap themselves up in that blanket.

:dunno:

·
Registered
387 Posts
well because something was "improved" (which can be subjective) doesn't mean the previous version was crap.
you used terms like "just plain awful", "weak", "incredibly plain" (a term I have never heard used when describing a challengers looks btw), "blah" (again go figure), "worst quality EVER produced", "entire car unappealing".

I'd hate to see how you describe something that you ARE bashing.

Not even sure how to address the "SXT and R/T being basically the exact same car" other than lot's of V6 owners try to wrap themselves up in that blanket.

:dunno:
Actually I don't feel as bad with my V6. If I lose a stoplight race, so what? Now, on the other hand, if I had spent $30K or more on a R/T knowing that a V6 Mustang or Camaro would still whip my ***....THEN I'd be looking for a blanket to wrap myself up in. That would just be miserable. As it is now...at least I've got something to show for it when I'm not the fastest car around.

But thanks for the kind words... that's the best way to make positive change is to lead by example, right? :spineyes:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Actually I don't feel as bad with my V6. If I lose a stoplight race, so what? Now, on the other hand, if I had spent $30K or more on a R/T knowing that a V6 Mustang or Camaro would still whip my ***....THEN I'd be looking for a blanket to wrap myself up in. That would just be miserable. As it is now...at least I've got something to show for it when I'm not the fastest car around.

But thanks for the kind words... that's the best way to make positive change is to lead by example, right? :spineyes:
exactly...what you have to show is the same thing EVERY other V6 challenger owners has...an awesome looking cruiser, with acceptably decent performance, that makes for a great daily driver. the rest of your analysis of the 09/10 challengers was less than worthwhile reading but I do give you props on picking the best color :burnout:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Not true....

None of the current V6 Camaros or Mustangs are as fast as a V8 RT. And none have anywhere near the Q that the V8 RT has....And Q is what counts in most short races. The only people who believe this nonsense are a few 19 year old Mustang V6 owners. Everyone else, Motor Trend, C&D, Hot Rod Mag, the owners....I mean "Everyone".... know that this is total BS.

As for newer models being better than previous models....they should be, it's called progress. When I bought my 13 RT, it had so much stuff that the previous models didn't have...notably Radar Red interior. When I traded the 13 in, I noticed that the 14 RT's had SRT seats...and read articles about SCAT PAC's and Shaker Hoods.

Criticizing an early model car is silly. The cars are supposed to improve. When the buyers bought them...they were the best thing going.

I did NOT like this article. I responded with a "Nasty Gram" to the author. You can to (it invites comments). But, as BAD as the article is...it is not nearly as UNINFORMED as the aforementioned comment. http://www.torquenews.com/108/would-you-swap-dodge-challenger-hyundai-genesis-coupe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another beef I had with the 2013 is that my right foot could not retain its purchase on the gas pedal. Turns out that the floor mat lacked the rubber pad that the 2010 had.

However, my complaints are relatively minor in that I would rather have any year or model of the Challenger than any other new car available today.

Still, I find the clean and simple styling of the 2010 to be an example of understated elegance. Less is more. And it is the best quality new car I have ever owned. No defects have surfaced.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
great now we get V6'rs trashing other V6's, what's next? should have stopped at "to each their own"
Just wait till the 2015 Mustang 4 Cylinder Eco Boost comes then those guys will come and bash...bwahaha. Now I love the 2015 Mustang but I Will never accept that Turbo Four.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
1,079 Posts

Hmm a magazine racer has joined the forums....see V6 guys talk trash about R/Ts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9v9WIJdsU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I owned a 2011 Mustang V6 non performance pack and it was not even close to my R/T even after doing all the mods to make it a under 5 second car about..$2000 in mods I could only pull maybe a 5.9-5.8 With Auto and an aggressive shift tune. Not even the guys that had the manuals with the performance pack were coming near the elusive 5 sec 0-60. Video above is proof.

Now my R/T on the other hand has $400 in mods and 4.9 all day with the M6. Stay classy magazine racer.

Oh well 2015 Mustang GT here I come.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 2013, with the Sinister Super Sports package... And I adore it. I do like the sound of a 3.5 more.. But I'll take the extra horsepower instead. All in all, I'm extremely happy with her !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Sith R/T
1 - 20 of 21 Posts