Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get some more advice/opinions...

I know the motor dif, and most of the package dif.

Is the 2011's updated suspension on par with a 2010 SRT-8s? With a tuner can u get close to the HP differnce basicly stock?

Is their a big enough difference n the two to even debate?

I'll apperciate all input! Not trying to bash either just shopping around and see a couple deals on 2010 SRT8 and some decent deals on the 2011 R/T's

·
Registered
411 Posts
When my 09 R/T Classic died I looked at both. Personally I thought the 11 R/T handled better but thats subjective. I did not have a chance to really hammer the brakes which I would think would be a SRT strong point. The SRT was faster but not all that much and no where near the difference the 392 brings to the table.

I made the decision to get the 11 R/T Classic. One I like the looks of the Classic and two the price difference was 6 grand. I just could not see spending the extra 6 k on what is going to be a 2 year old model soon.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
I am not aware of any "hard numbers" concerning actual improvement vs improved "feel" for the R/T suspension. Which do you like better? have you driven both? cost? I think if you are planning to race the SRT would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't drove a 11 rt yet... Drove the 6.1 but don't know if the extra 6000 or so is worth it... Seen a couple srt's for 37000... And a couple rt classicz for 31000... Can't really afford the 392! Not gng to race just don't wanna regret the purchase

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard! If you can swing it, go 392. If not, I went through the exact same thing you are going through now two months ago. Check out my other threads on this topic for more detailed explanations. I drove all V-8 08-10 models of the Challenger from R/T to R/T Classic to SRT-8, both manual and automatic. There are some awesome deals on 2010 SRT-8s right now. You can find them for around 37K. A good deal on a 11 R/T Classic depending on options should be between 32-33K. That is a 4-5 grand difference, and the SRT is very compelling at that price point. Have you considered a 2010 leftover? You can get them for around 30K now, and the color selection is much better than 2011. If you do go with the R/T get the $400.00 Super Track Pack option since it upgrades the suspension and makes it handle basically on par with the SRT. Otherwise, it is mushier with more body roll. I drove one with and one without, and it was a deal breaker for me. Now the SRT is faster but mostly in the upper RPM range. It's braking is definitely better with the Brembos as are the seats. It is also more exclusive. The R/T Classic looks more retro and gets much better MPGs with an automatic (13-19 vs 16-25) not as much with a stick (14-22 vs 15-24) and is almost as fast in a straight line. I would say drive both with the transmission you want. Do not drive one with a stick and the other auto. You will know which one you like better. I did, but then bought the opposite because 7+ grand at the time was not worth the admission to the SRT-8 experience for marginally better performance. Do I wish I would have bought one? Yes, but now I am waiting for the 392s to come down in price because that car erases all doubt about the price difference between it and the R/T.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have never driven an SRT but I'll give you my reasons that I didn't buy one and bought my 2009 R/T instead. I have never regretted not buying an SRT8.

1-Price Difference
2-Gas guzzler tax
3-Didn't like the Suede on the seats
4-Sure it's got more horsepower, better suspension, and brakes but how fast can you go really, the suspension isn't a bad thing, but the cost to replace Brembo brake components isn't cheap either.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now that the 392 is out, the 'old' SRT8 is the middle child of performance, marginally more power than the R/T, with the worst gas mileage of the three. I would step up to the 392 if you can afford it. I couldn't justify the purchase and in the same position as you, ended up with an '11 classic.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I went through the same debate in my head when I got my 2010 SRT. It came down to 3 things:

1. Brembos: I drove a 2008 charger srt8 and fell in love with those brembos. I've never been in any car with brakes that I've liked better, including supercharged Range Rovers, Porsche 996s, Porsche carrera 4s, and SL63 AMGs. The brembos make you feel like youre 4000+ lb car weighs 25 lbs. My friend has an '06 WRX STI and his 60-0 is 108 feet, 2 feet less than the monstrosity that is american muscle.

2. Seats: I've never been more comfortable in any car, as a driver or passenger, than in the SRT seats.

3. Envy: I'm guilty of wanting to be "in the club" with an SRT.

As you can see, its all personal preference. No one is going to look down on you for getting an R/T or an SRT. The challenger is an awesome car. Go with what feels right for you. If you care that much about speed, the money you save on an R/T can be sunk into bolt-ons that'll get you close to the 2010 SRT anyway.

As others have said: Drive both. Drive them multiple times. Buy what suits you!

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I was looking @ the SRT8 leftovers and their are some good deals. The crappy part here their not enough local inventory for me to do a comparison of the 2010 SRT8(no one local has one). And I still dont know if the 5k is worth the difference to get a SRT8 or the new RT. I'd love to step up for the 392 but the Leftover 2010 is pushing my budget anyways.

Thanks for the info... I do wish the color options were better on the 11's cause I seem to only like the Toxic orange(me and red cars end up wrecked, so the red is out)

I appreciate the input, keep it coming!

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
If you want good advice on which YOU should buy, take the advice of the people including me that say drive them both (or all three including the 392) and buy what you like and can afford.

If you want my preference, buy the 392 SRT and if you can't afford that buy the 6.1 SRT. Heck my real preference ignoring other factors would be forget the Challenger and buy a 2010 Viper or wait, maybe the 2012.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You didnt specify what you would be doing with the car. I have a 2010 SRT and love it. When I bought it the price was just a bit higher than an RT Classic so it made sense.

If you are looking for a daily driver I would not get the 2010 SRT though. It is incredibly fun to drive, but the mileage will make it incredibly expensive to drive also if you have a commute of more than a few miles. The RT mileage is markedly better if you keep your foot out of it.

I agree with the others though. Take a drive in each if you can and make the call. I drove an RT before I purchased, but my first drive in an SRT was heading home in the car.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Daily driving wise, the brakes on the r/t are great, I'm sure brembo's are fantastic on a track, just not sure why you really need them on the street, and when the time comes to change pads and rebuild/replace parts, you'll feel a bite you probably will regret every couple years.

I drove both the 6.1 and the R/T prior to ordering mine from an out of state dealer. The 6.1 6spd is a very fun car to drive, but it does use premium where you can use regular in the r/t Plus you can get mds with the automatic r/t. I personally am satisfied with my choice of the r/t over the srt8, i could have gotten either, at the time, the srt8 6.1 was only marginally faster in a straight line than the r/t, but it came with most of the mods you'd normally install yourself on an r/t and the seats are more comfortable in an srt8. Given the choice today, i'd probably get a 392 srt8 auto, given the mods I've done to mine, i've already spent most of the difference i saved by buying the classic r/t. I've yet to see any deficiency in the brakes on mine, i do wish i was able to get the STP on mine, but it wasn't available at the time mine was built for 2010. It seems to handle just fine for what i use it for, which is daily transportation to and from work, and running errands, and taking to an occasional car show on the weekends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a similar decision to make between a 2010 SRT and an 11 R/T Classic with the STP. The SRT was $4k more, but I preferred the handling on the R/T. I drove both and the SRT unquestionably had more "oomf", but the additional cost, the better handling the on R/T, and the lifetime additional cost of premium gas with lower mileage pushed me towards the R/T. This is my DD so the incremental expenses of gas and regular maintenance add up, something I had in mind when I traded in my Audi.

I've been happy with it since!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I owned a 2009 6 Speed SRT8 and now own the 2011 R/T Classic Auto with STP; see my signature. The 2009 and 2010 SRT8s are the same, so here is my .02 cents...

The 2009/2010 SRT8 handling/suspension could be better, I changed mine to the Mopar Stage II; it's the way the car should have come from the factory. The 2011 R/T with STP handles better than all of the stock SRT8s including the 392, better rear sway bar. I have driven the 392... The brakes on the R/T feel the same and stop as good, the only thing is they will fade faster than the SRT8; so if your not racing you won't know the difference. (They do look nicer though...) The 2011 R/T Classic has a nicer steering feel as well.

In the speed and power department they are not that far appart stock or modded...

I like the classic looks of R/T and the wheels are very nice and forged just like the SRT8 wheels. I also like the cleaner front without the RAM on the hood and on the steering wheel. The new steering wheel is nicer and the overall refinements on the 2011 was a nice welcome.

If you wan't really fast get the 392, otherwise it depends on what you want...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Bear in mind the new R/Ts with the Super Track Pack pull better skidpad numbers and figure 8 times that the 08 SRT did. Check Motortrend's website. It is also only about.3 sec off in acceleration in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile departments too. Personally, if money is not a huge issue and you don't care about fuel economy, get the 2010 SRT. The deals on them put them within a couple thousand dollars of a 2011 R/T. If I'd have waited until next year, I would be driving a 392, but I bit the bullet and got a great deal on a leftover R/T. I love the car, but I am already looking forward to upgrading as soon as Dodge brings some high impact colors back.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think as far as balancing looks and performance the R/T Classic is by far the biggest bang for the buck, as long as knowing there are faster models of the Challenger out there doesn't bother you. I just wanted a hemi, didn't care if it was the biggest hemi, and when I saw the R/T Classic with those forged retro wheels and the classic stripe, that made it for me.

For me, I'm very very happy with my R/T Classic. If I wanted something more though, I would go for the 392, not an older SRT. That's because I think the motivators to buy an SRT would soon eat at someone that purchased the previous year model knowing the 392 is out there.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think as far as balancing looks and performance the R/T Classic is by far the biggest bang for the buck, as long as knowing there are faster models of the Challenger out there doesn't bother you. I just wanted a hemi, didn't care if it was the biggest hemi, and when I saw the R/T Classic with those forged retro wheels and the classic stripe, that made it for me.

For me, I'm very very happy with my R/T Classic. If I wanted something more though, I would go for the 392, not an older SRT. That's because I think the motivators to buy an SRT would soon eat at someone that purchased the previous year model knowing the 392 is out there.

My 2 cents.
He is right. People who bought the 2010 SRT-8 when the 392 was out did it for the price difference. I am one of those people that gets driven nuts knowing there was a better car out there I could have bought had I just waited a little longer. Wait until next year when they are discounting the leftover 2011s like they are the 2010s. It'll be like people who bought the 2011 Wranglers. The 2012s will come with the Pentastar V-6 and 90 more horsepower. We'll see a lot of traded 2011 Wranglers sitting on the lots I suspect. The resale is awesome on those anyway, so the hit would not be too bad.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oh and if it matters to you, I get alot more compliments and looks driving the R/T Classic then I ever did with the SRT8... The car really looks sharp...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think the R/T Classic looks the best of any of the Challenger models and is, in my opinion, the best value based on MSRP. That written, $10,000 off a 6.1 SRT is a great deal. I love my R/T Classic with the Super Track Pak, but if I wanted more power I'd upgrade to the 392, as the 6.1 isn't that much better than the 5.7 with the Super Track Pak, based on my side by side test drive experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts