Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Mustang GT with manual transmission being bought back as a lemon. There are a TON of 2010 SRT8's here in CA but they all have automatic transmissions. Haven't driven the auto yet but am terrified I'll get bored as I love stick.

Any thoughts? How is the SRT8 with auto?

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I have the auto on my SRT and really like it. It is the best of both worlds- auto mode for cruising in heavy traffic and drag racing, and "auto-stick" fun mode when you feel like winding out the gears (upshifting) or downshifting. I suggest that you drive an auto to see if it is for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine's a 6.1 auto. Very easy in heavy traffic but yet is still fun in manual mode. I use it all the time to downshift and upshift on winding and hilly roads or to just hang on to a gear a little longer for better acceleration.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if you think your going to be bored you probably will be

there's a bigger rebate on 6 speeds for 2010....i think you need to widen your search...i did a 100 mile search when i bought mine

i changed my mind to Auto after originally ordering a 6 speed....and yes its more boring...having the car be as fast as possible is important to me....Auto's are faster and easier for the novice to drive faster........the cool thing about the stick is its from the Viper...

i think you need the stick

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Have an auto in my STR and very happy with it. Also have a Corvrtte with a six speed and get tired of shifting in all of the traffic. That being said, if you really love the six speed in your Mustang you may wish you had the manual if you change to automatic.

·
Registered
978 Posts
First, there was a big auto vs manual debate that just happened, i suggest you read that thread as this one will have the same responses.

Second, of course people who purchased autos will defend it to the death, nobody wants to look like they don't enjoy their car (even though some auto drivers probably do enjoy it)

This car isn't a Honda Accord or a Prius... You need the manual!

The auto-stick is boring and IMO retarded, I sold my Chargers for the very reason that they were auto's! (well, the first one was returned @ the end of the lease, the second sold because it was boring)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Second, of course people who purchased autos will defend it to the death, nobody wants to look like they don't enjoy their car (even though some auto drivers probably do enjoy it)
... people on this board never cease to amaze me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 2010 SRT auto, it's fine, but have an IE 6er on deposit. I have plenty of fun with the auto. Either way, you will love the Challenger.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Drive both - then decide. Been a manual guy for ages - all I owned since '92. Went with an auto in the SRT8 this time for a little more convenience associated with my driving environment. Personal preference - so try both and choose what works best for you. Like one of the other posters mentioned, if you expand your search, you may find a manual you can test drive. I drove one of each before I decided.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If there is any need to "defend it to the death", it is simply to clear the record of all the incredibly DUMB things said by those on the other side. Do you not see how your comment fits perfectly to that profile? You don't see how poorly that shows on you to imply that only manual drivers are able to enjoy driving their car? I bet you don't.

·
Registered
100 Posts
IMHO, slush boxes are OK for daily driving in traffic but I can't imagine them ever being "fun".

·
Registered
157 Posts
Auto with the auto stick, best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I have a Auto in the 2010 for my wife, I have a 6 speed in my 2009 as I like the fun of shifting, these are not grocery getters but true sports cars, if you are a driver get the stick.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Auto with the auto stick, best of both worlds.
do you use autostick for daily driving?

i cant imagine using it unless im racing around

i think autostick is more of a gimic(i have an automatic)...doesnt the car know when its best to shift by itself?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you love the 6 speeds, you should lean that way. I would still test drive both though.

The novelty of the auto might wear off quicker than you might like if it's shifting you enjoy and are use to. Nothing wrong with either choice. Personal preferance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If there is any need to "defend it to the death", it is simply to clear the record of all the incredibly DUMB things said by those on the other side. Do you not see how your comment fits perfectly to that profile? You don't see how poorly that shows on you to imply that only manual drivers are able to enjoy driving their car? I bet you don't.
haha... this is so true. sometimes ignorance is bliss!

op... get what you really want!

·
Registered
157 Posts
do you use autostick for daily driving?

i cant imagine using it unless im racing around

i think autostick is more of a gimic(i have an automatic)...doesnt the car know when its best to shift by itself?
Sometimes I use it for daily driving to downshift or keep the car driving in a certain gear just for fun. But I really use it when I go to road courses. and its a great feature to have for that purpose. the car knows the when to shift but on a road course, you don't want the car to upshift while you are cornering. at least, it let me choose which gear I want to drive on.

Sometimes I wish I had the stick, and sometimes I seriously think of replacing the auto with the stick. But that can only happen if I have another car for daily driving.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I grew tired of shifting gears as I had manuals for about 20 years. I got the auto/autostick in my '08 Charger (because there was no manual option) and really liked it. I considered getting a 6 speed but I knew there would be times that I would pure hated to be shifting gears (stop & go, redlight to redlight, etc.) I have a lot of fun with my automatic.

OP - That being said there are those that really prefer a manual and you sound like that type of person to me. You'd probably end up disappointed with the automatic.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I grew tired of shifting gears as I had manuals for about 20 years. I got the auto/autostick in my '08 Charger (because there was no manual option) and really liked it. I considered getting a 6 speed but I knew there would be times that I would pure hated to be shifting gears (stop & go, redlight to redlight, etc.) I have a lot of fun with my automatic.

OP - That being said there are those that really prefer a manual and you sound like that type of person to me. You'd probably end up disappointed with the automatic.
I would agree, the OP should probably stick with the 6-speed manual. I did as some have mentioned and drove both the auto and manual. For my daily driving needs, the auto made it a bit more hassle free in traffic and for me was a more controllable transmission.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.