Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been gone a while!

While trying to drive my Challenger from Bryson City, NC to Charlotte 3 days ago, we were driving on ice and I suddenly started getting lights all over the dash. Shortly thereafter she died, on icy roads with snow blowing. I found the alternator hot and discolored and had to disconnect the battery cable at the battery to get the battery to take a charge so i could drive it one mile at a time until I got it to a Dodge dealership.

They called today and confirmed that the alternator was bad. They want $440 for the part and $225 to replace it.

I ordered one for $280 with a $40 core charger and plan to drive back out to Waynesville, NC this Thursday (providing the new alternator arrives as scheduled) to replace it myself.

Here's the deal, I'll be working in 30-40 degrees in their parking lot (or nearby if they kick me out) with only the tools I bring.

Can someone give me a COMPREHENSIVE LIST of every conceivable tool I'll need to replace it. I'd appreciate any addition tips or tricks. She's lowered so going underneath will be hard to impossible unless i bring ramps. Will I need them?

Thanks guys for any advise.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
You can take it out from above...definitely disconnect the battery of course.

You'll need a pry bar / extension to get the tensioner off the serpentine belt. There's a square hole to insert the breaker bar into the tensioner to push against the spring tension.
A regular ratchet won't give you enough leverage. Keep note of how the belt is routed - its a long drive belt.

Removing the air tube off the TB will give you room to get at all the stuff.

Three long bolts secure the alternator from left side to the front engine cover and there's a nut that holds the large cable to the post on the back of the alternator and one electrical connector for the field connection.

IIRC, the bolts are either 10mm or 13mm heads.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound too bad, maybe 30 minutes... I'll try to keep the belt in place as best I can.

Is the connector easy to get to, or will I need a small flathead to pry it off?

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad, maybe 30 minutes... I'll try to keep the belt in place as best I can.

Is the connector easy to get to, or will I need a small flathead to pry it off?
There's a small red locking tab you slide out [but not completely] (away from connector) then the connector will pull off. Small flat head will do the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts