Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got to spend a day with a 2015 Scat Pack RT with the 6.4 and it made my 5.7 feel slow! Only problem is I don't think I can quite afford a 2015+ model. Will the 2011-2014 SRT8's with the 6.4 feel just as fast as the 2015 and newer models? I know there is a 15 HP difference and I won't get the nice active exhaust, but I need that engine! Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think a used 2015 R/T Scat Pack which has the 392 Hemi would be in the same price range as the SRTs during the time you mentioned plus easier to finance a newer car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To me one of the biggest differences is the A8 vs A5 transmission. If I was you, I would try and test drive a car with an A5 6.4l, then one with an A8 6.4l, and see which you like best.
This. It's not just the engine, it's the quantum leap forward with the A8.

Unless you are just considering manuals.

Edit: Never test drive a 6.4L if you have a 5.7L and you're not ready to upgrade lol

·
Registered
694 Posts
This. It's not just the engine, it's the quantum leap forward with the A8.

Unless you are just considering manuals.

Edit: Never test drive a 6.4L if you have a 5.7L and you're not ready to upgrade lol
couldn't agree with you more. still have my '09 r/t with the a/5 for my daughter to drive. when i got my sp shaker w/a8 i thought i would drive my '09 when i could to keep mileage down on the sp. but once you drive the sp w/a8 in manual & sport mode you'll be hooked. she's a torque monster at the low end & exhaust sounds as close to my old 70's glasspacks as i've ever heard. just flat out love the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have zero interest in the auto. I've drive. The A8 and it's an awesome transmission, but I would go manual 100%.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
I have zero interest in the auto. I've drive. The A8 and it's an awesome transmission, but I would go manual 100%.
I was saying the same thing not long ago. However I took a chance and chose the A8 and here's what I found: the paddle shifters are amazing! Banging shifts with the A8 in manual mode is like a drug, partly because of the tight spacing of the gear ratios. I've always enjoyed downshifting rather than braking and I've been pleasantly surprised with my 392 A8.

But of course, to each his own. :|

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Well if you insist on a manual then there really isn't much difference between the older and newer models.

The motor is unchanged.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I was saying the same thing not long ago. However I took a chance and chose the A8 and here's what I found: the paddle shifters are amazing! Banging shifts with the A8 in manual mode is like a drug, partly because of the tight spacing of the gear ratios. I've always enjoyed downshifting rather than braking and I've been pleasantly surprised with my 392 A8.

But of course, to each his own. :|

I've had both... flappy paddles are not amazing....sorry. You're not banging shifts. The transmission is amazing though....if you leave it in D. ;)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I recently got to spend a day with a 2015 Scat Pack RT with the 6.4 and it made my 5.7 feel slow! Only problem is I don't think I can quite afford a 2015+ model. Will the 2011-2014 SRT8's with the 6.4 feel just as fast as the 2015 and newer models? I know there is a 15 HP difference and I won't get the nice active exhaust, but I need that engine! Any help is appreciated!
Forget about Active exhaust... it is a gimmick. Either you like loud exhaust or you don't. It's worth nothing power wise.

Some of the extra 15 h.p. are the result of electric power steering and some tuning revisions. Part of the increase could also be attributed to the fact that Dodge upgraded their dyno cell for the Hellcat. I believe the previous cell was limited to right at 475 h.p. or so.

For me, the upgraded interior would be worth getting a 2015 over a 2014.

I would be shocked if you couldn't find a 2015 Scat Pack for under 30k.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
11-14 6.4 and 15-17 6.4 are identical in terms of parts used and power output. 11-14 392s dyno the exact same as the 15-17 392s.

Also the 11-14 and 15-17 6 speed 392s run identical times in the 1/4.

Dyno used on the 6.4 in 2011 could only go up to 470 hp, no cooincidence they rated it exactly at 470.

Deciding between the two generations should be based more on what your looking for in terms of looks and interior. If you want an automatic the 8 speed is a huge plus for the 15-17.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts