Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Everything I've seen is remanufactured alternator. From $150.00 up to $600.00. I'm not a fan of refurbs...

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
The service writer at my dealership called this morning. He told me that the current eta for the alternators is July of 2018.

My Shaker has been at the dealership for almost 5 weeks now waiting for the upgraded alternator. It's not drivable any more, and they've already installed two new, pre-recall alternators in it. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The service writer at my dealership called this morning. He told me that the current eta for the alternators is July of 2018.

My Shaker has been at the dealership for almost 5 weeks now waiting for the upgraded alternator. It's not drivable any more, and they've already installed two new, pre-recall alternators in it.
I will guarantee you that the problem is not the alternator, think about how many other Challengers that are still on the road with pre recall alternators. Ask them this question "find another Challenger on the lot that runs perfectly with a pre recall alternator and swap the alternator over to your car, what's going to happen?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I will guarantee you that the problem is not the alternator, think about how many other Challengers that are still on the road with pre recall alternators. Ask them this question "find another Challenger on the lot that runs perfectly with a pre recall alternator and swap the alternator over to your car, what's going to happen?
True, the problem is actually the voltage regulator, which in in the alternator. I don't think I can get them to yank an alternator off of one of the R/Ts they have for sale, but it is an idea.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I have to agree, there has to be something that is destroying these alternators. My pre-recall is working just fine in my 2012 with over 60K miles on it. I suspect the electric steering unit is overloading the system and you can replace the alternators till hell freezes over, but if the source of the overload isn't corrected the problem will continue. It makes no sense that a new alternator will fail immediately just because it has the "faulty" diodes when so many of us are driving cars with those diodes and are having no issues after years and miles of service.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have to agree, there has to be something that is destroying these alternators. My pre-recall is working just fine in my 2012 with over 60K miles on it. I suspect the electric steering unit is overloading the system and you can replace the alternators till hell freezes over, but if the source of the overload isn't corrected the problem will continue. It makes no sense that a new alternator will fail immediately just because it has the "faulty" diodes when so many of us are driving cars with those diodes and are having no issues after years and miles of service.
I agree, but this is a warranty repair, and I figure they don't want to throw money away. That's why I'm leaving it up to their mechanics. The thing is, when I got my 2014 service manual from them, I found out it is lacking wiring diagrams, so I have no idea what might be causing the problem.

BTW, what exactly is an electric steering unit? That one is new to me.

·
Registered
537 Posts

My Shaker has been at the dealership for almost 5 weeks now waiting for the upgraded alternator. It's not drivable any more, and they've already installed two new, pre-recall alternators in it. :icon_eek:
Are they providing you with a loaner vehicle until next July ?? :|

·
Super Moderator
15,087 Posts
I agree, but this is a warranty repair, and I figure they don't want to throw money away. That's why I'm leaving it up to their mechanics. The thing is, when I got my 2014 service manual from them, I found out it is lacking wiring diagrams, so I have no idea what might be causing the problem.

The '11+ SXTs and R/Ts went to Electro-hydraulic p/s systems. (they use a motor to pump the fluid when wheel is turned). SRTs still used conventional hydraulic p/s.

For '15+ this changed to an all-electric p/s, where there's a motor on the rack that provides the assist. The Hellcats still used hydraulic p/s - this changed for '18 and the Hellcat and Demon has electric p/s now.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts

Since others have already explained the electric steering I will add that I am only speculating that that is the cause since the motor company insinuated it as a possible cause. It could be any thing in the electrical circuitry that could cause an overload of the alternator.

I'd like to see some data that includes driving conditions for the cars that are having these failures. Are most or all of them occurring on cars that spend most of their time driving in town? That would subject the system to much more low rpm tight turns like at stop signs and stop lights. My environment is in the country, long winding roads where I can go mile after mile and barely move the wheel while keeping the rpms relatively high so the alternator is making more power, and rarely have to stop and make actual left/right turns. Could this be a factor? I wonder.

It's a mess, and those of us that are unable to drive our cars should have an avenue for monetary compensation. Collectively there have been millions, if not billions of dollars spent on these cars and we have a reasonable expectation of being able to use what we are making payments on, like paying child support and expecting to see your children. I feel that any month or portion thereof that you cannot use your car, the company should be required to reimburse that months payment, insurance premiums and provide similar loaner vehichles. It needs to hurt them, not us.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I feel that any month or portion thereof that you cannot use your car, the company should be required to reimburse that months payment, insurance premiums and provide similar loaner vehichles. It needs to hurt them, not us.
Class Action Lawsuit

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Class Action Lawsuit
Well, that's probably what will happen eventually, but they only make the lawyers rich. That's why it should be handled individually, each customer's loss recovered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i filed the paperwork with FCA in mid-September. I got a call from them last week. They are reimbursing me for both the alternator AND th battery it ate. Happy to hear that. I expected to have to argue about the battery. The person I talked to indicated sometime in Feb. 2018 for replacement units.

My 2011 RT has been running fine since the alternator died in Dec. 2014. Vehicles from 2011 through 2014 were affected so I probably got an older version for the replacement unit (part number: 4801855AB is listed on the repair order).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,727 Posts
My 2001 RT has been running fine since the alternator died in Dec. 2014. Vehicles from 2011 through 2014 were affected so I probably got an older version for the replacement unit (part number: 4801855AB is listed on the repair order).
He had the alternator replaced. A Guy

·
Registered
14 Posts

My 2014 RT became a paperweight last night. Luckily the dealer was only 1/2 mile up the road. I'm curious, did your instrument panel and radio flicker on and off like it was Possessed? Followed by a non stop ticking coming from the fuse box under the hood? Cause that's what mine was doing. Didn't know if that's expected behavior based on this recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2014 RT became a paperweight last night. Luckily the dealer was only 1/2 mile up the road. I'm curious, did your instrument panel and radio flicker on and off like it was Possessed? Followed by a non stop ticking coming from the fuse box under the hood? Cause that's what mine was doing. Didn't know if that's expected behavior based on this recall.
I was showing off the car to some visiting engineers from France where there is NOTHING with a 'big' engine with a lot of horsepower. Anyway, We left my office started to get on the freeway for a short drive to their hotel. All sorts of lights were flashing, some I had never seen on before, especially while driving. Chimes. Got to the hotel, turned it off to let them out of the car and said 'see you in the morning'. Went to start it and nothing. no clicks, no lights, no dome light. After a hotel mix-up with AAA, got to the dealers just as the sales department was about to close the gates for the night. $1000+ later, I had a new battery and alternator. Don't remember hearing any clicking sounds.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dealing with the alternator recall has been a complete nightmare due to the lack of competence by Dodge Customer Care and dealership network. My RHR 740 Nav system died this summer at 20k miles so I had my charging system tested at O'Rilley Auto Parts. It turns out the alternator voltage regulator failed and fried out my radio. Since they didn't have the replacement part for the alternator yet, the replaced it with the existing model. Dodge forced me pay $600 out of pocket and file a reimbursement claim. This normally wouldn't be an issue but the complete incompetence by Dodge Care led me me to make about 12 phone calls over 60 days to them to to process the claim and cut the check.

Dodge is paying to replace the radio but made me get a $90 "diagnostic test" done on it at the dealer before they would cover it. They refused to reimburse me the $90 or pay for any labor associated with my claim. It's now February and the Radio finally came in. The service adviser told me I could swing in and pick it up (I'm going to install it to save $). I had planned on swapping the hard drive to retain my songs but when I arrived they told me they needed the old unit and were confused why the adviser did not tell me that. On Saturday I made a 2nd trip to the dealer with the dead radio, they opened the box from Dodge and inside was a replacement LCD display, not a complete unit! What a waste of time, I now have to go back on my 5th dealer visit to take care of the crap from this whole ordeal and I'll have to go in again in the spring to get the new alternator installed...

I don't have any plans of selling my Challenger, but Dodge Care sucks and I will probably never purchase a new $40,000 Dodge again.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Dealing with the alternator recall has been a complete nightmare due to the lack of competence by Dodge Customer Care and dealership network. My RHR 740 Nav system died this summer at 20k miles so I had my charging system tested at O'Rilley Auto Parts. It turns out the alternator voltage regulator failed and fried out my radio. Since they didn't have the replacement part for the alternator yet, the replaced it with the existing model. Dodge forced me pay $600 out of pocket and file a reimbursement claim. This normally wouldn't be an issue but the complete incompetence by Dodge Care led me me to make about 12 phone calls over 60 days to them to to process the claim and cut the check.

Dodge is paying to replace the radio but made me get a $90 "diagnostic test" done on it at the dealer before they would cover it. They refused to reimburse me the $90 or pay for any labor associated with my claim. It's now February and the Radio finally came in. The service adviser told me I could swing in and pick it up (I'm going to install it to save $). I had planned on swapping the hard drive to retain my songs but when I arrived they told me they needed the old unit and were confused why the adviser did not tell me that. On Saturday I made a 2nd trip to the dealer with the dead radio, they opened the box from Dodge and inside was a replacement LCD display, not a complete unit! What a waste of time, I now have to go back on my 5th dealer visit to take care of the crap from this whole ordeal and I'll have to go in again in the spring to get the new alternator installed...

I don't have any plans of selling my Challenger, but Dodge Care sucks and I will probably never purchase a new $40,000 Dodge again.
Actually I would have traded it in and let them deal with it...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Oh yeah, the lights go nuts when the battery gets low, and anything electrical quits working. I'm now on my fourth alternator, and a new battery. The alternator also fried the PCM, and I had to pay to have it replaced, because according to Precious (case manager) at FCA, "It has a tuner in it." :2232censored: The good news on that is that I got employee pricing on the PCM and half off the labor charges from my dealership. The first thing I saw was the engine light on when I got it back, throwing codes P0032 & P0058, which I'm still working to get rid of. I showed the service writer the engine light immediately, and he cleared the codes with a Mopar scan tool, but they came right back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm really hoping this alternator recall fixes my issues once and for all... When I first bought my 2011 R/T Classic, the alternator failed driving off the lot and had to be replaced on Day 1 of owning the car. 3 Months later, the alternator failed again, but this time I was going 85mph on the freeway. My dash lights lit up like a christmas tree, speedometer started moving sporadically up and down, and my power steering cut off. Paid to have the alternator and battery replaced because both were completely dead by the time I got to the stealership. I submitted a reimbursement claim after this recall was announced for the alternator and battery that I had to pay for out of pocket. It was approved and I received the reimbursement. This morning when I got into my car, I saw the same flickering dashboard lights including ABS, Trac Control, BRAKE and a few others and the speedometer did the sporadic movement again. Looks like my alternator is failing... for the 3rd time in 2 years. Hopefully this recall replacement that I will be requesting on Monday will be the last one.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts