Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Sounds like you have bigger issues than just an alternator. I haven't replaced my alternator yet, just received a letter regarding the recall yesterday. My car has been storage and I have been giving them time to get a supply . It also mentioned that its affecting cars with the electronic power steering. Not sure when the first year had it installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like you have bigger issues than just an alternator. I haven't replaced my alternator yet, just received a letter regarding the recall yesterday. My car has been storage and I have been giving them time to get a supply . It also mentioned that its affecting cars with the electronic power steering. Not sure when the first year had it installed.
Not sure what the first year that had electronic power steering was, but mine has it. The lights dim and flicker every time I turn the wheel because the power draw is too much for the alternator (im guessing...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alternator part numbers

So has anyone figured out which alternator parts numbers are bad?

I don't want to take all the time to go to the dealer just to have them say it's fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure what the first year that had electronic power steering was, but mine has it. The lights dim and flicker every time I turn the wheel because the power draw is too much for the alternator (im guessing...)

So I finally heard back from the dealer where I dropped off my car for the alternator recall (mine was completely dead)... I also had several other electronics that got fried including the wireless ignition switch, starter, ABS modules, and my battery. They have yet to determine if the alternator failure caused all of these issues, but I’m pretty annoyed that they aren’t covering the dead battery — which is a direct result of a dead alternator. $231 for a battery... seriously Dodge??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
So I finally heard back from the dealer where I dropped off my car for the alternator recall (mine was completely dead)... I also had several other electronics that got fried including the wireless ignition switch, starter, ABS modules, and my battery. They have yet to determine if the alternator failure caused all of these issues, but I’m pretty annoyed that they aren’t covering the dead battery — which is a direct result of a dead alternator. $231 for a battery... seriously Dodge??

Ouch. My 730N was fried by my alternator. I've been dealing with Dodge since September on it, I still don't have the replacement radio! I was told next week. The Dodge dealer and customer care network are a sad joke.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Dang…..Whats going on with Dodge and warranties then? Daughter had alternater go bad on her old car killing the battery. Auto Zone looked at it when it got towed there, said just needs battery which she then bought. Then same night car didn't make it home cause the bad alternator killed the new battery…..Auto Zone sold her a new alternator and replaced her battery that was toast with a new one free because they had missed the problem…..Auto Zone better than Dodge….? Thats sad Dodge…..very sad.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My car is going in for the alternator recall and an oil change tomorrow. They also sent me an email saying that while my car is there, they will be going over it and making me an offer to buy or trade it in for a new car. The answer is "NO" unless they are willing to give me a Hell Cat for next to nothing. Another big NorEaster is coming,they better be finished before the snow starts.:crying:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,566 Posts
I see a snow hostage situation coming!

"Buy a new car".

"No".

"Oh look, it won't be ready before the snow hits, darn"

A Guy :)

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,314 Posts
I've been through 4 alternators and 1 battery since the problem started, all replaced under warranty. While in for the last fix last December, the service advisor told me that the alternator had damaged the PCM. Then I was told that FCA would not warranty the PCM, because I had a "tuner" installed by their clueless case advisor, so I paid for the PCM. When they gave it back to me, the check engine light was on, and the service advisor used their scan tool and got codes P0032 & P0058, which he cleared. On restarting, the engine light came back on with the same codes. I took it home anyway, since it had been undrivable for 4 months, and have been trying to get it repaired since then. I went to the trouble to diagnose the problem, and have eliminated the O2 sensors and wiring, leaving the PCM as the culprit. I finally have an appointment next week to get it repaired, and I'm not holding my breath for that one.

What has happened is the letter I just got from FCA notifying me that case for the recall on my alternator had been closed since an alternator has been installed, even though the dealership told me at the time the last alternator was installed that the arrival of updated alternators was still months away, and the part number of the newest alternator was the exact same as the first alternator which had been used. If this alternator fails, the spit is going to hit the fan.

I'll save the story of the "tuner" for another time, since this doesn't have anything to do with a piano.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As stated in a previous post, FCA covered my battery. Last September (2017), I spoke to "Precious" in the recall group and asked about the battery. She said she would submit the claim, including the battery. My alternator died in December 2014 (vehicle is a 2011 RT with about 47k miles). It ate the battery also. FCA reimbursed me for the entire repair except for about $50 in California sales taxes.

Since this recall includes the 2014's and it happened near the beginning of the model year, did I get an old version alternator or the updated version? The replacement part number, from the work order) is 4801866AB.
can anyone tell me if this is an updated alternator? I've had no electrical problems since hten.

·
Registered
512 Posts
did I get an old version alternator or the updated version? The replacement part number, from the work order) is 4801866AB.
can anyone tell me if this is an updated alternator? I've had no electrical problems since hten.
4801866AB is not the updated alternator

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,314 Posts
As stated in a previous post, FCA covered my battery. Last September (2017), I spoke to "Precious" in the recall group and asked about the battery. She said she would submit the claim, including the battery. My alternator died in December 2014 (vehicle is a 2011 RT with about 47k miles). It ate the battery also. FCA reimbursed me for the entire repair except for about $50 in California sales taxes.

Since this recall includes the 2014's and it happened near the beginning of the model year, did I get an old version alternator or the updated version? The replacement part number, from the work order) is 4801866AB.
That's the part number for the original alternator, and I've had 4 of them fail so far. :soapbox:

·
Registered
342 Posts
From a related thread...

sorry wrong, inspection first

If the part number on the part number tag is xxxxx-0801, xxxxxx-7021,
xxxxxxx-7041, xxxxxxx-7042, xxxxxxxx-7051, or xxxxxx-7052, no further action is
required. Close hood and return the vehicle to the customer.

If the part number on the part number tag is not xxxxxxx-0801, xxxxxxx-7021,
xxxxxx-7041, xxxxxxx-7042, xxxxxxx-7051, or xxxxxxx-7052, replace the
alternator assembly. Continue with Section B. (LD, LX Models with 3.6L
Engine), Section C. (LC, LD, LX Models with 5.7L Engine) or Section D.
(WD, WK Models with 3.6L Engine).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where did you get it from. I'm also thinking of doing it myself to avoid the hassle of the dealership. I was also wondering if the new improved diode board was available and just replace that.

Are you the guy that lives in Yardley boro?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Where did you get it from. I'm also thinking of doing it myself to avoid the hassle of the dealership. I was also wondering if the new improved diode board was available and just replace that.

Are you the guy that lives in Yardley boro?
the one and only! What's up Paul :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just had mine replaced at the dealer. CSZET361AA is the replacement part number listed on the invoice.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,566 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Are you kidding me? No, I'm sure you're not, but you are being ridiculous. JMHO Prior to "hearing" about this recall, were you afraid to take your Challenger out and drive it? So what is different about your car now that you received a piece of paper in the mail? Nothing! The odds of anything going wrong are slim to none. Just drive the damned thing. My '12 had 5yrs and over 50K miles on it before the passenger side airbag device was replaced, nothing happened, nobody died and the car was thoroughly enjoyed. I have no intention of parking it before winter just because someone somewhere had a bad alternator.

And I don't think you need to continually remind Dodge Cares to not contact you, I'm pretty sure you won't be hearing from them no matter what happens to your car.
My Challenger, too, is parked until the recall repairs can be performed. Notice said that the failed alternator can cause the engine to stop (something I'm not interested in happening while I'm at highway speeds, in a turn). Airbag issue is also troubling. Not sure if it's not going to go off when it's supposed to, or if it's going to hurl shards of metal throughout the interior. Because deer collisions are high probability where I live, I'm not chancing an air-bag deployment either.

Called my dealer over a month ago to schedule the alternator repair. Part is still not in. Car sits in the garage.

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
To prevent a dealership service nightmare and to maintain my sanity, I'm doing my own T36.

this showed up today

my oem under the hood

thats not the recall part......
Luke

81 - 100 of 143 Posts