Dodge Challenger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
The flicker is probably more noticeable with halogen headlights vs. HIDs.

It wasn't uncommon to see cluster flicker when you applied the brakes - I noticed this on the '09 but the headlights (HIDs).

I'm aware that the '11 - '14s would put a greater electrical load when you turned the steering wheel - on many, you could hear the p/s pump motor if you were outside and the driver was turning the wheel.

The main thing is getting the newer alternator that has the newer diode design. The old ones didn't handle the load and would fail (V6 versions were first to get this issue by '12/'13) and eventually it was found that some of the units for V8 applications were affected as well.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Well this really sucks ! It is very noticeable. As soon as I apply any movement to the steering wheel, the light goes from normal to a very noticeable dim, then bright again. I think I want my old alternator back!! I need a oil change and when i go in I will bring it up with my service advisor.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well this really sucks ! It is very noticeable. As soon as I apply any movement to the steering wheel, the light goes from normal to a very noticeable dim, then bright again. I think I want my old alternator back!! I need a oil change and when i go in I will bring it up with my service advisor.
After awhile you won't even notice anymore.... Maybe try to do all your driving during the daytime and only go drag racing if you're out at night. :grin2:

All kidding aside..., if you (they..., the dealer) find out what's causing this issue I'd really appreciate if you passed along any findings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alternator Recall

For the dimming lights, I enabled the extended EVIC settings and watched the battery voltage drop from about 13.5V to about 12.7 with any movement of the steering wheel. This is on a 2011 RT with 5.7 and A5. I haven't noticed any dimming of the lights, although I have the HID headlights. I had the alternator and battery replaced (reimbursed for both) in late 2104 at 48k miles, for this issue. This was way before the recall, so I got a new 'old-style' alternator. Since then I have had no electrical problems. Now at 91k miles.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
For the dimming lights, I enabled the extended EVIC settings and watched the battery voltage drop from about 13.5V to about 12.7 with any movement of the steering wheel. This is on a 2011 RT with 5.7 and A5. I haven't noticed any dimming of the lights, although I have the HID headlights. I had the alternator and battery replaced (reimbursed for both) in late 2104 at 48k miles, for this issue. This was way before the recall, so I got a new 'old-style' alternator. Since then I have had no electrical problems. Now at 91k miles.

Good luck.
that reading is a bit on the low side - with engine running? Both of mine generally run 14.2 - 14.4v.

With ignition off, I'd see 13.2 unless there's other items on or have the ignition on/ engine off for a while.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had my alternator replaced a couple weeks ago. I never had any problems with the old one and have no problems with the new one. There is no flicker in the headlights when I turn the wheel. Maybe I'm fortunate... 2013 R/T Classic. So far, best car I've ever owned. I would buy it again. Great experience with the dealer in getting the recall done. No complaints.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Finally got my recalled alternator replaced. No headlight flicker under any circumstances (steering, braking, accelerating,....nothing). Old alternator never had any issues. I hope the new one is just as good. It's really pretty and shiny too!

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Finally got my recalled alternator replaced. No headlight flicker under any circumstances (steering, braking, accelerating,....nothing). Old alternator never had any issues. I hope the new one is just as good. It's really pretty and shiny too!
Lets hope there's many trouble free miles ahead!

·
Registered
217 Posts
So, my battery died twice this week and I had to buy a new battery, but it happened again with the new battery so I brought it into the dealer and he replaced the alternator, it was a recall. Do you think that may have caused my battery dying cuz it wasn't charging up good enough during driving?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,196 Posts
So, my battery died twice this week and I had to buy a new battery, but it happened again with the new battery so I brought it into the dealer and he replaced the alternator, it was a recall. Do you think that may have caused my battery dying cuz it wasn't charging up good enough during driving?

Yup...

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts

That alternator is a suspect item. If you have any further issues with the battery draining / going dead - the next step is to test the system for current draw when the vehicle is shut off.

if there's any modules or CANBUS that doesn't power down after shut off, that will run a good battery down as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it necessary to have the alternator diode replaced?

Is it necessary to have the alternator diode replaced when so far after 25,000 miles I've had no issues at all?

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
In some instances an alternator failure resulted in wire harness burnt up, damaged to TIPM (power module in engine bay) and in some instances the PCM module was damaged.

Another point is the '11 - '14 have electro hydraulic steering on SXT and R/T models and if the electrical system goes out, no p/s assist.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Is it necessary to have the alternator diode replaced when so far after 25,000 miles I've had no issues at all?

It should be done, it's a safety issue and the replacement is free to you. My 2012 had over 60K miles on it when the parts became available. The entire alternator is replaced, not just the diode.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,196 Posts
In some instances an alternator failure resulted in wire harness burnt up, damaged to TIPM (power module in engine bay) and in some instances the PCM module was damaged.

Another point is the '11 - '14 have electro hydraulic steering on SXT and R/T models and if the electrical system goes out, no p/s assist.
I was one of them with the damaged PCM... :soapbox:

·
Registered
120 Posts
So, I have a 2012 SRT8 6.4L and entered my VIN on the Mopar sight, expecting info on a alternator recall. It appears that only an airbag recall was listed and completed, but it's not entirely clear. I got the car used and the only info on the carfax and dealership records is about an airbag replaced and tested.

Edited to add: I called the dealership and my vehicle is not in the alternator recall. Weird they would use different alternators or wiring but apparently that's the case. I read more carefully the recall and here's what it says in part: "FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2011 through 2014 model year Dodge Durango, Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger and 2012 through 2014 model year Jeep® Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator."

121 - 140 of 143 Posts