Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newb here with a serious dilemma. New Challenger coming in short order, but unsure about which model. I was initially debating between RT and Scat. Car will not be a racer, but I'm a car/truck guy and it's hard for me to stomach the thought that I can get more car for about 5K more with the Scat vs. the RT. Car will be daily driver. I make plenty of money, but am not the type to waste needlessly and the fuel economy/general maintenance of the RT is appealing.

If I'm being honest though, I want the 392 and am willing to wait find the right deal on a 2015-2017 Scat. However, I was thinking about a low mileage SRT8, which is actually considerably cheaper than 2015+ Scats right now...like 5-7K cheaper. What are the key differences (Other than updated interior) of the 2011-2014 SRT8 and the 2015+ Scats? What would you all do in my situation?
EDIT: Either model I purchase will not be brand new...will be low mileage (sub 40K) and as clean/unmodified as I can find it.

TIA

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
SRT's are the least sold (most rare) since 392 Scat Pac R/T's and Hellcat's entered the scene, in which case they also appear (to me) to be way over represented in these forums for the number sold. This tells me the true enthusiast (moneys allowing) prefers the SRT. Well that's my math on it. :freak5:

The SRT's come with all the bells & whistles, some that aren't even options on other models, if you want a striped down (race) version go for the Scat, they have the same running gear and will be lighter, they have slightly smaller brakes but obviously still get the job done.. your call.

I would say go for the one you find that appeals the most to you and fits your budget, you might find the colors and interior you desire in a Scat wins over an not so desirable combination SRT for similar $$$.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
if fuel economy and maintenance is something to consider then maybe the scat pack with the 4 piston instead of 6. you can also opt for the 6 as it is an option. it's cheaper if you have to replace the 4, and not that noticeable in difference. Better gas milage as well. i personally like the naturally aspirated engines, the whine of the supercharges is preferential. i'm worried it's more maintenance down the line

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Outside of the styling changes between LC series ['11-'14 SRT 392] and LA series ['15+ SP, SRT]

* +15 hp
* +5 lb.ft. torque
* more robust ZF differential vs. Getrag in earlier series [watch out for whining diffs!]. If you find an older car with a noisy diff, pass on it - they aren't cheap to replace.

The '12-'14 SRTs have adjustable shock settings (exc. '13/'14 SRT Core - not a whole lot of those built)
-look out for warped, or cracked rocker covers - this is a common problem on the earlier series.

There's some more comfort / convenience features in the newer series

Reactions: ewillis

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I don’t know where you are located, but I just listed my fully loaded 2016 Scat Pack 8-speed with 7,500 miles for sale. Feel free to PM if interested.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
If you get a SRT 392, get the 2012+ with dual mode suspension. It’s the only thing a fully loaded Scat Pack won’t have, and it’s worth it.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
The '12-'14 SRTs have adjustable shock settings (exc. '13/'14 SRT Core - not a whole lot of those built)
-look out for warped, or cracked rocker covers - this is a common problem on the earlier series.

459 SRT 8 Core built in 2013

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

459 SRT 8 built in 2013
Cracked rocker covers as in rocker panel?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts