Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
I wanted the six speed because I like to shift gears. And I never learned how to drive an automatic (kidding). I would not have purchased this car if it came in 'automatic only.'

I think the manual transmission is much more fun to drive. The clutch in these cars is very light, so it isn't an issue in traffic for me.

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself which way you want to go.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you plan to race the stock clutch won't last and ones that do are definitely not light. I'm running a SPEC 1700ft/lb clutch and the thing is HEAVY even with the hydraulic clutch. After a day of racing my left leg definitely feels it.

Tom

I wanted the six speed because I like to shift gears. And I never learned how to drive an automatic (kidding). I would not have purchased this car if it came in 'automatic only.'

I think the manual transmission is much more fun to drive. The clutch in these cars is very light, so it isn't an issue in traffic for me.

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself which way you want to go.

·
Super Moderator
15,738 Posts
Like everyone else said, if you enjoy shifting gears (even in heavy traffic) get the manual. However, if you are primarily interested in 1/4 times, get the auto. You will also be able to upshift and downshift gears when you want to play, by using the autostick.

I have a 6.1 and really enjoy the convenience of the auto and the torque multiplication for quick launches.

Basically, it is an individual decision.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I used to have a 6 speed, but I really got confused on which pedal to depress. Now I have an automatic in the short bus I ride in. Much happy now.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I like Auto tranny's now. had all the 6 speeds I wanted. Now I do wish the auto tranny in this was like the one in my vette a 6 speed auto instead of a 5 speed auto. the gas milage would be so much better.

Auto's are so much easier at the 1/4 mile track and you are less likely to break a clutch or rearend.

I drive in downtown rush hour traffic daily so the auto is best for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts