Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2011 challenger srt8. My car recently began to tick on drivers side. It is rpm dependent. Anyone else expirence this? I currently have 38,000 mi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was out of factory warranty but took it in ...good thing it was covered under motor and power train warranty.. Turns out they ordered a lifter and cylinder head gasket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: back from the dealership and it still sounds the same. They said to drive it for a week if it still sound the same to take it back...not good for any others out there having some of these issues.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For me, I've always had the tick. I'm sure there is a normal one and one that is not normal, but when this first strated back in the day, think there was even a discussion on here, it was determined that it's normal and won't hurt anything, again assuming it's the normal tick. I had it in the 5.7 and have it in the 6.4.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Update: back from the dealership and it still sounds the same. They said to drive it for a week if it still sound the same to take it back...not good for any others out there having some of these issues.
Fresh oil will sometimes quiet them for a while. There is also a lifter pump up procedure.
Hold her at 2200 RPM for 20 to 30 seconds (not in gear) and that will pump up all the lifters. If this doesn't quiet it down, it could be a slightly bent pushrod. If it does quiet it for a moment, it is most likely a lifter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Fresh oil will sometimes quiet them for a while. There is also a lifter pump up procedure.
Hold her at 2200 RPM for 20 to 30 seconds (not in gear) and that will pump up all the lifters. If this doesn't quiet it down, it could be a slightly bent pushrod. If it does quiet it for a moment, it is most likely a lifter.
Funny you say that…I never noticed mine ticking until right after I had my last oil change. And yes, the dealer changed it (it was free)….but they used Pennzoil synthetic this time. Seems to happen on and off…not all the time. Never heard of the lifter pump up procedure…no one should need to do that should they? I just turned over 11K miles….my factory warranty expires this October. It runs fine though… how does one determine if it's a "normal" tick or an "abnormal" tick?

Reading this makes me wonder if I should take it in and complain about it….

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Both my 5.7s and the 392 have some tick. A bad lifter is much louder than the niormal tick of the lifters and injectors. I take the half covers and engine covers off of my engines which tends to make them a little louder.
Most likely your's is normal but hearing it from the dealer may help to put your mind to ease.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it back to dealer today, they had replaced all the lifters both sides, even though drivers side is the noisy side, last visit. Unfortunately the sound is still there they are going to replace them all again. They recognize its not a normal tick, its all bring covered though the 5yr/100,000 mi warranty if anyone is having the same problem. You just risk them screwing up your car. I just couldn't stand the sound. Its not obnoxiously loud but it still bothered me so i took it in.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If it's not the normal tick,and they replaced the lifters,could be a worn cam lobe.
My 06 5.7 has always had a tick since new.In cold whether my 6.4 has a tick. Since I'm used to the 5.7,and it still runs strong,I haven't gave it any thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish mine was just in cold weather, unfortunately it's there all the time
, and it is rpm dependant the more revs the louder and more repeatative it is.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Funny you say that…I never noticed mine ticking until right after I had my last oil change. And yes, the dealer changed it (it was free)….but they used Pennzoil synthetic this time. Seems to happen on and off…not all the time. Never heard of the lifter pump up procedure…no one should need to do that should they? I just turned over 11K miles….my factory warranty expires this October. It runs fine though… how does one determine if it's a "normal" tick or an "abnormal" tick?

Reading this makes me wonder if I should take it in and complain about it….
Your factory warranty on the power train is 5 years 100.000 miles.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Your factory warranty on the power train is 5 years 100.000 miles.
Thanks for the reminder! I totally forgot about that part. I also have a lifetime warranty on the car….but of course after reading the "fine print" on the lifetime warranty after I already bought the thing, it also says it doesn't start until all the factory warranties expire, there's a 100 dollar deductible AND they are allowed to use reconditioned parts instead of new if the reconditioned parts are cheaper (and when aren't reconditioned parts cheaper than new?)….so typical…

jc_109 - I'm honestly surprised your dealer changed all the lifters and even more shocked that they'll replace them again!! You'd think they'd be looking for another cause for the ticking…as mentioned, bad cam lobe or an exhaust leak…something different. Either way, hope they figure it out for you...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GSMC- that's what I told them why do something you already did, but according to the GM he said that is a lifter tick not an exhaust noise , but I'm crossing my fingers, maybe they will get tired of messing with it and I'll get a new motor jaja... Wishful thinking. But I'll fight it if they want to give it back to me with the tick. I have been running mobile 1 since I bought it. Changed at 3 or 4k . I have been researching this issue on other forums seems a reoccurring issues on a couple of challengers, issues with lifters.

·
Registered
611 Posts
GSMC- that's what I told them why do something you already did, but according to the GM he said that is a lifter tick not an exhaust noise , but I'm crossing my fingers, maybe they will get tired of messing with it and I'll get a new motor jaja... Wishful thinking. But I'll fight it if they want to give it back to me with the tick. I have been running mobile 1 since I bought it. Changed at 3 or 4k . I have been researching this issue on other forums seems a reoccurring issues on a couple of challengers, issues with lifters.
Well, sounds like they are dead-set that it's a lifter then. I would think a new engine would only be offered if there were some type of defect in the block itself....or a catastrophic failure occurred due to this issue. Having this issue does take the car out of your hands and ties it up in the shop...I would definitely remind them of this inconvenience constantly. I assume they are supplying a loaner car?

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 5.7's seem to have the Hemi Tick more. Last year my '13 R/T developed the tick after first oil change @ 3000 miles. The noise evolved over time but when I took it to the dealer it was nosiest @ 1800-2200 rpm's. They said lifters were unusually loud and replaced them all. It helped maybe 30% but the noise was still obvious and annoying. After they did the work I also had an oil leak problem. I sent Mr Gorlier an email about it all. You can find his email address in the threads about timing chain failure. Within 2 days I was contacted by Corporate Customer Service. They offered to replace the engine and I said no. They then offered to replace my car with a new '14 R/T at no cost to me. I gladly accepted. They treated me very well. So don't accept a noise that shouldn't be there. My '14 is great so far but first oil change coming up. Good luck and don't give up.

·
Super Moderator
17,312 Posts
The solution is the procedure outline in Star Case #S1309000013 'Ticking Noise from Upper End of Engine' published April 11, 2013:

It addresses trimming the (potentially distorted) tabs of the rocker shaft retainers - these can be removed one a time (there's five for each intake, exhaust rocker shaft). There's a total of 20 of the retainers on the V8 engines.

When the tabs are distorted or bent, it prevents the rocker shaft from sealing to the oil supply gallery and this allows the lifters' oil supply to bleed down more quickly at idle / low rpm.

This procedure simply requires removing the rocker covers, not removing the heads or lifters. If this procedure resolves the lifter tick, you're done...

If not, the next step would be to change the lifters after performing the service described above. If the lifters are changed w/o servicing the retaining tabs, the same symptoms can remain.

What can happen on engine assembly is the tabs get bent or distorted - and it creates the symptom of the lifter tick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No loner car yet. When I picked it up the first time I told them I was upset that they called me if the problem was still there and it sounded the same. The first night driving I got a check engine and the noise was as loud as ever. Drove it around some more. Took it back a few days later. That's when GM said he is going to replace lifters again. He said check engine was bad oxygen sensor . But no loaner car. I told them about the threads I've read about the 5.7s having the tick and he was like yeah they bring those in all the time. He said it like it was a very common occurrence.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts