Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes according to plan, I'll acquire a 2011 SRT8 392 Turn Key Crate at the end of summer. It comes with a manual as well for added coolness points. However, I have a 2012 SXT Plus and I plan on swapping this turn key crate into it.

The Turn Key Crate Comes With:
6.4L ENGINE
6 SPEED MANUAL TRANS
BELT DRIVEN ENGINE ACCESSORIES
ENGINE HARNESS
ENGINE COMPUTER
UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX
TRUNK MOUNTED FUSE BOX
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE UNIT
SPEEDOMETER
PEDAL ASSEMBLY
FUEL TANK WITH FUEL PUMPS
SHIFTER
STEERING COLUMN
DASH HARNESS
BODY HARNESS WITH BATTERY CABLES
CATALYTIC CONVERTERS

I've provided my planned build sheet below, If there's anything that needs to be accounted for swapping a 392 into an SXT that's not listed, please let me know. Also feel free to leave potential suggestions on better parts or if you've had experience with such parts. I'm trying to go for an unique build all around here, something similar to a road course car.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
24 Posts
Always been interested in seeing what the 454 sounds like and if their claims of 600whp are accurate, but I think you're the first to actually do it. You mentioned you'd acquire the 392 crate by end of summer.. When do you plan on having the actual build done? Seems pretty expensive too. Just gonna write a check and get everything done all at once?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Since you’re going so extreme, any chance you can opt. for an aluminum block? 100 lbs, or so, off the nose would be nice on a road course.

Any consideration to oil & trans. cooling? Going to get hot out there. On my stroker, I went with a 160 degree t’stat with good results.

I’d also consider a roll cage in lieu of harness bar. Hope you are ready to have your fillings shaken out with solid motor mounts :) . One piece driveshafts have gotten a reputation of vibrating on our cars. There is this funky angle between the trans. and diff. I’d stick with a beefed up 2 piece myself.

Good luck on the build. Sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Since you’re going so extreme, any chance you can opt. for an aluminum block? 100 lbs, or so, off the nose would be nice on a road course.

Any consideration to oil & trans. cooling? Going to get hot out there. On my stroker, I went with a 160 degree t’stat with good results.

I’d also consider a roll cage in lieu of harness bar. Hope you are ready to have your fillings shaken out with solid motor mounts :) . One piece driveshafts have gotten a reputation of vibrating on our cars. There is this funky angle between the trans. and diff. I’d stick with a beefed up 2 piece myself.

Good luck on the build. Sounds like a blast!
It does not look like Modern Muscle Performance offers an aluminum block option, they have a race-only block option but they don't really specify what that changes. In terms of oil & trans cooling, I still have yet to find anything high level for cooling. If I remember right my car being an SXT Plus came with an oil cooler, not sure about a trans cooler.

I've heard about the 160-degree thermostats before, the only thing I heard is that they can be too cold for the car. But considering I live in New Mexico that's probably the better option. I have not really researched roll cages, if there are any suggestions you got I'd be happy to hear them!

I understand the ride will become pretty roughed up, but I figure if I'm going this route, I might as well sturdy the engine up with the torque it'll likely put out. I've heard carbon fiber one-piece driveshafts are good for safety purposes when they shatter/break.

Thanks for the ideas and support, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always been interested in seeing what the 454 sounds like and if their claims of 600whp are accurate, but I think you're the first to actually do it. You mentioned you'd acquire the 392 crate by end of summer.. When do you plan on having the actual build done? Seems pretty expensive too. Just gonna write a check and get everything done all at once?
The closest I've heard of what a potential 454 would sound like is 448_svgscat's 448 engine on Instagram. The swap would hopefully be done in August, that is if the crate is still for sale. In terms of the rest of the build, if my current pay rate stays the same and I move from part-time to full-time. I could probably have the full build nearing completion in maybe 1-2 years? More than likely I'll just buy parts as I go on, but more than likely I'll buy the categories all at once, such as the Mishimoto cooling parts altogether. I don't know for sure how I'll go about it, but I'll figure it out!

Thanks for the interest and support, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
619 Posts

Thats mine. I swapped out the 3.6 for a 5.7. Along with the manual. I see your list, but you didnt say anything about the diff. V6 diff isnt going to cut it with the v8. Way too small of parts to handle hp. Im considering going with a solid diff instead of the independent thats currently there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thats mine. I swapped out the 3.6 for a 5.7. Along with the manual. I see your list, but you didnt say anything about the diff. V6 diff isnt going to cut it with the v8. Way too small of parts to handle hp. Im considering going with a solid diff instead of the independent thats currently there.
Hmmm, I figured the diffs were all the same strength. I've heard that the SXT plus is basically an RT without the engine, so I figured I'd be good there. If that's the case, I found a complete rear end from a 2010 Challenger with 3.92 LSD Diff and axles for about a grand.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Nice job on your build btw!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,828 Posts
If I remember right my car being an SXT Plus came with an oil cooler, not sure about a trans cooler.
The V6 oil cooler is under the manifold, so will go with the V6

The Condenser And Trans Cooler are an assembly

A Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts