Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new here but I?ve been trying to do research on a cam and headers.
1st let me say, I know there are better options...but for my application I cannot justify the extra $$$. Not hitting the track, will never be boosted. Just like having fun on my local streets.
My thought is to try a hellcat cam in my 5.7 (non-boosted) with JBA shorties.
Why shorties someone is bound to ask, so again...my application I would not see a signifificant enough difference over long tubes to justify cost and custom install.
I was able to purchase a brand new hellcat cam from someone for $75, and the JBA?s are around $450.
Very budget friendly for what I?m hoping to be 50ish whp gain.
1st, assuming it?s just a cam and 392 springs does anyone see a downside or risk? Not a lot of info out there on this that I can find.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi everyone, new here but I?ve been trying to do research on a cam and headers.
1st let me say, I know there are better options...but for my application I cannot justify the extra $$$. Not hitting the track, will never be boosted. Just like having fun on my local streets.
My thought is to try a hellcat cam in my 5.7 (non-boosted) with JBA shorties.
Why shorties someone is bound to ask, so again...my application I would not see a signifificant enough difference over long tubes to justify cost and custom install.
I was able to purchase a brand new hellcat cam from someone for $75, and the JBA?s are around $450.
Very budget friendly for what I?m hoping to be 50ish whp gain.
1st, assuming it?s just a cam and 392 springs does anyone see a downside or risk? Not a lot of info out there on this that I can find.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
The 392 springs will not work without doing some work to the heads. I have no experience with the hell cat cam but I did put a 392 cam in my ram and a mm custom cam in my challenger. You would be the first to do this n/a. You would need a spring kit to run this cam which is another $500 added to the price. Another thing is are you a m6 or a5? I don?t know the specs of this cam but you should be able to still use the mds lifters. 50 maybe a stretch but we won?t really know until you put it on a dyno. With a cam and long tubes I only picked up 45 so it could happen. Good luck with it

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Go talk to Jay Green at Green Racing about a cam kit and a tune. I used his 1.5 HL cam and picked up 38 HP, I also have JBA shorties. You don't know if the HC cam will work, will the cam be too big and cause valve to piston interference, or will it need a phase limiter. I'd slow down a bit and do some research

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
The Hellcat cam wouldn't be a good choice for a N.A. engine.

The duration, overlap are shorter than the N.A. 392 cam is.

The installed height of 392 springs won't work for a 5.7. There are aftermarket springs that will do the job.

Forced induction cams are designed around different parameters vs. N.A. cams. What works best for N.A. isn't the best approach for forced induction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts