Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just returned from my local Dodge Dealer inquiring about trading in my 2009 Torr Red SRT8 for a new 2011 392 Hemi SRT8. I was told the ONLY color available for a build is ORANGE! Due to the nuclear disaster in Japan, the vendor of the paint pigment is no longer able to ship their product. Holy crap!:(

·
Registered
254 Posts
There's already a couple threads on the subject, but yes, the only colors unaffected are Toxic Orange, Stone White and Tungsten (not all of which are available on all models/trims).

Production is rumored to resume in June, but it'll take a while to get where it's needed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've long been an opponent of "limited production" "average man" production cars... well Dodge, it's biting you in the arse isn't it?!?!

·
Registered
411 Posts
What amazes me is that they simply cant immediately offer other color selections so that they can continue to sell cars.

To be honest the color selection overall was lame to start with. To lose customers because they can only offer a single color SRT is pathetic.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,804 Posts
I've long been an opponent of "limited production" "average man" production cars... well Dodge, it's biting you in the arse isn't it?!?!
The Challenger is far from an "average man" car IMO. Maybe the SE is within many people's reach, but for many, that's where it ends.
I do think this year's color offerings are on the dull side compared with last year when HO, DY, B5B, PCP, and FF were all available in plentiful supply.
Hopefully, 2012 will be better.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Challenger is far from an "average man" car IMO. Maybe the SE is within many people's reach, but for many, that's where it ends.
I do think this year's color offerings are on the dull side compared with last year when HO, DY, B5B, PCP, and FF were all available in plentiful supply.
I hear that, but let's face it, unless its a Viper or a Corvette, of the big 3 companies, anything they make is generally considered to be attainable by most Americans, even if it would stretch their bank accounts too much. Heck, there are millions of $40,000+ cars on the road... Challenger's just one of many... its unique because of it's looks and engine... the price and brand, not so unique.

·
Registered
386 Posts
To be honest the color selection overall was lame to start with. To lose customers because they can only offer a single color SRT is pathetic.
I agree with you 110%!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
You'd have thought they would find an American source by now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not sure of this.....I haven't "Googled it" or anything but i believe the Japanese pigment is some of the best available worldwide due to it's purity in processing. Remember, they can do a whole lot more than we can because of the environmental issues. Lots of great chrome parts and bumpers still come out of Japan when American companies can't do it because it is such a :"dirty" process. I think other sources in India and China for the pigment are available but their production techniques and purity is not that of the Japanese stuff. What I've heard, that's all.

·
Registered
284 Posts
.....~I have waited since summer of 2010 to order a 2011 392, but wanted Hemi-Orange, or a true Orange Color such as 70's Vitamin C, or another Heritage color. Since the 2011 selection was sooo lame...I am still waiting. Hopefully 2012 will offer a lot better selection. I don't think Dodge realizes the lack of choices are hurting their sales. When ordering starts in a month or so, maybe we will have an idea of whats in store...if they can get the pigments!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only thing they are lacking is a pigment that is used for the pearl effect. This comes from a second tear supplier, meaning Chrysler's supplier buys this pigment from the Japanese pigment maker which is still down.

I think we'll see an increase of colors in 2011, but they will be more "standard" base + clear type colors without the pearl effect.

·
Registered
386 Posts
.....~I have waited since summer of 2010 to order a 2011 392, but wanted Hemi-Orange, or a true Orange Color such as 70's Vitamin C, or another Heritage color. Since the 2011 selection was sooo lame...I am still waiting. Hopefully 2012 will offer a lot better selection. I don't think Dodge realizes the lack of choices are hurting their sales. When ordering starts in a month or so, maybe we will have an idea of whats in store...if they can get the pigments!
I agree, I too am waiting for 2012 and hopefully better color slection. If not than I will wait for 2013.

Please Dodge offer some good colors for 2012!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The only thing they are lacking is a pigment that is used for the pearl effect. This comes from a second tear supplier, meaning Chrysler's supplier buys this pigment from the Japanese pigment maker which is still down.

I think we'll see an increase of colors in 2011, but they will be more "standard" base + clear type colors without the pearl effect.
We should be so lucky...go back to torred instead of a one thousand dollar red and I would order tomorrow if I could get a REAL black SRT 8.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Give me Hemi Orange and I'm in on a new 392. Not until then.

·
Vendor
5,685 Posts
I'm waiting on my GWE 392.

·
Registered
15 Hellcat
39 Posts
I had thoughts myself of trading my 09 Hemi Orange SRT8 for a new 392 until I found out no more Hemi Orange. The plan now will be to keep her and start doing mods. First up will be a supercharger! I think about 525-550hp will keep me satisfied for another couple years.

·
Registered
398 Posts
With all the paint manufacturers in America there has to be some way to paint these cars and keep production going. The supply in stock nation wide should be able to cover the limited production of Challengers.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A friend of mine is probably going to buy a BB with red striped R/T today. He was saying he wished it was "really black" without the metal flake in it. He had a black Roadrunner and wanted a Challenger in the same color. It's close but not the same.

·
Registered
891 Posts
With all the paint manufacturers in America there has to be some way to paint these cars and keep production going. The supply in stock nation wide should be able to cover the limited production of Challengers.
It's all smoke and mirrors. Like when Katrina hit, and my gasoline price jumps 20 cents a litre at the pumps, and I'm IN CANADA where all the gas comes from in the first place!!!! Japan has nothing to do with anything here...they are using it as an excuse for something deeper. Cash flow problems? Production delays? Etc, etc.

Some of us are a little more intelligent, and know that it's a ruse, but the reality is that MOST of the population are gullible and will swallow it up. Think about it for a second...Japan has an earthquake and the production of paint is halted around the world? Yikes, I was born at night but not last night....

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's all smoke and mirrors. Like when Katrina hit, and my gasoline price jumps 20 cents a litre at the pumps, and I'm IN CANADA where all the gas comes from in the first place!!!! Japan has nothing to do with anything here...they are using it as an excuse for something deeper. Cash flow problems? Production delays? Etc, etc.
Sure, and Ford and GM are going along with the ruse why?

It isn't just Chrysler that's affected, the Xirallic shortage is hitting multiple vehicle lines from multiple manufacturers.

... and everyone knows that white and orange cars (the colors you can still order) are easier to build and ship than black and purple ones...

This isn't at all like gas where there's multiple suppliers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts