Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
You may have to have someone read with a scan tool any faults in system to see if that's causing a "lockout" of the ESP system. Make sure they are able to read body/chassis system faults not just P codes. I take it you have no other warning lamps on?

Also if your steering wheel sensor is not "initialized" it can prevent ESP...

Being its been in an accident there could be many things going on.

Just best to start with making sure there are not any codes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may have to have someone read with a scan tool any faults in system to see if that's causing a "lockout" of the ESP system. Make sure they are able to read body/chassis system faults not just P codes. I take it you have no other warning lamps on?

Also if your steering wheel sensor is not "initialized" it can prevent ESP...

Being its been in an accident there could be many things going on.

Just best to start with making sure there are not any codes.
First of all thank you so much for all that info! Do you know how I would initialize the steering wheel sensor? Is that when you soon your wheel all the way to the left and then to the right? If so, I have done that. My esp/bas light is on as well as my traction control light. However. it's weird because they both work...?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
No, the abs/esp has to be "initialized" this requires a scan tool and a drive cycle with the tool connected to the v vehicle. Its done using a "pod" a "laptop" and as far as I know the Dealer can only do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the abs/esp has to be "initialized" this requires a scan tool and a drive cycle with the tool connected to the v vehicle. Its done using a "pod" a "laptop" and as far as I know the Dealer can only do it.
Wow thank you so much. I have researched my butt off and found nothing.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
NP :)

As long as there are no other faults in the system, such as wheel speed sensors or other ABS faults that should take care of your problem. When I do it it takes about 10-15 minutes to complete, but most likely they charge a flat fee to do it as they will run codes and such first.

If the steering angle sensor is off it does not know where center is and will not allow ESP as it needs this info, so if it shows 15% while you are driving straight (based on other info) it locks it out by logic.

Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts