Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but my searching hasn't turned up many hits.

I have a 2011 RT six speed. I just changed the oil the other day with 5w20 mobil 1 synthetic. Before this, I had always been having the dealership do it since I moved from my old home and no longer have a nice garage to work in.

Anyway, I noticed my oil psi climbed a bit from what it was. Cruising used to be 53psi, now at 70 it's around 55-56. In thinking because it's fresh oil perhaps. Long 4th gear pulls can get the pressure up to 65psi, and long idles bring it down to 35psi or so.

In my research this seems much higher than what others are reporting. Any cause for alarm?

Car has 8k miles on it, so it's still fairly new

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
the PSI readings will vary with oil temperature as well whatever rpm range the engine is running in.

Higher temps (i.e. over 215*F) and the average PSI will drop down.

At cruise [1,500 rpm] I'll typically see 50-51PSI on fully warmed up oil. Hot days, long grades, it will drop to ~ 48PSI (temp is 221-225*F)

At idle, about 30-31PSI is typical, but in hot weather, stop and go, its gone to 27.

I use 5W-20 full syn oils in my 5.7 6-speed. My typical oil temps run 204-210*F.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.