Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my car around 6 months and just recently started hearing the timing chain having issues. Looked it up and found the recall. Took it to the dealership and the guy said the recall has already been taken care of and there's no warranty on that for him to be able to service it at no charge. Is this true? Does anyone know how I can get this taken care of before it breaks on me? TIA

·
Registered
872 Posts
Welcome to the site. No worries, drove her like you stole her!! My '10 broke the chain at 42k, everything was fixed under warranty. Then a few years later I got the recall and they replaced the chain again. She tripped 159k a few days ago and is rolling strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does it have to completely break before they'll do the recall again? The guy at the dodge house here said it had already been done before I owned it. It scares me to drive it because the other day it started acting up in rush hour traffic and all of a sudden it wasn't shifting and pressing the throttle did nothing. So I switched to manual and drove home like that.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
it wasn't shifting and pressing the throttle did nothing. So I switched to manual and drove home like that.
This ^^ doesnt at all sound like a timing chain issue...or at least the chain itself
Timing chains break & sometimes (very rare) will stretch and then jump a tooth.
In an interference engine, if the chain/belt lets go, immediate catastrophic engine failure & damage will result.
If its non-interference (you didnt specify what engine) then it can be repaired without sustaining internal damage, but eitherway, the engine will no longer run. It happens rather quickly. In the case of a skip/jump, most every time, engine will run so poorly as to be undrivable. One would not be able to slip it over to manual mode and continue to drive home normally.
Both possible situations could be hazardous &/or leave you stranded on the side of the road far from help, so driving it like you stole it pretending there is no issue until it all goes boom and then have the dealer tow & repair it, umm, is certainly not the best of plans.
I suspect you have something else going on, but if it is the chain, get it done, far cheaper & easier to do now, than post boom...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,746 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk KChapman ;) If the timing chain recall was performed, a different design and part numbers were installed. This should be a long term fix, and no "second recall" should be necessary

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This ^^ doesnt at all sound like a timing chain issue...or at least the chain itself
Timing chains break & sometimes (very rare) will stretch and then jump a tooth.
In an interference engine, if the chain/belt lets go, immediate catastrophic engine failure & damage will result.
If its non-interference (you didnt specify what engine) then it can be repaired without sustaining internal damage, but eitherway, the engine will no longer run. It happens rather quickly. In the case of a skip/jump, most every time, engine will run so poorly as to be undrivable. One would not be able to slip it over to manual mode and continue to drive home normally.
Both possible situations could be hazardous &/or leave you stranded on the side of the road far from help, so driving it like you stole it pretending there is no issue until it all goes boom and then have the dealer tow & repair it, umm, is certainly not the best of plans.
I suspect you have something else going on, but if it is the chain, get it done, far cheaper & easier to do now, than post boom...
I have a 5.7 hemi. Im not completely sure what's up but I know it isn't good. It started out with, a periodic, sound like a card in bicycle spokes. So I looked for others having the same issue and the timing chain recall was the closest to what I was dealing with. But having drove it a couple times since, the sound is more constant than just at lower speeds and when I go to stop that sound continues a second and abruptly stops, causing the check engine light to come on, as well as the traction control and asp bas light. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,746 Posts
If it triggers a CEL, than it sets a code. Knowing what the code is would be the first step

A Guy

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A Guy nailed it, you need a code reader. They run about $30, but some auto stores will let you barrow one/rent them for next to nothing. Grab the codes and run them thru the internet, go from there.
Something tells me, its not the timing chain given the symptoms you stated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Guy nailed it, you need a code reader. They run about $30, but some auto stores will let you barrow one/rent them for next to nothing. Grab the codes and run them thru the internet, go from there.
Something tells me, its not the timing chain given the symptoms you stated.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,746 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts