Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put on the '11 Charger intake tube.. the
"Clean Air Duct" and the K&N drop in for the 2011. I noticed a bit snappier throttle response, but nothing astounding.. But more noticeable is the added intake noise.The Resonator definitely reduces noise. It might be so noticeable because my exhaust is still completely stock. It really cleans up the look of the engine bay and sounds great. Pics, before and after.

Attachments

Reactions: judgeschambers

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Looks nice Brian, where did you get the Charger tube from and approx. how much? Looking to do the same thing to my car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice Brian, where did you get the Charger tube from and approx. how much? Looking to do the same thing to my car.
OEM part for the 2011 Charger 5.7L and here is the part number: Mopar Part # 4861940AC CLEAN AIR DUCT.

It was around 65 bucks if I remember correctly. I will have to check which MOPAR online site I purchased it from. It comes with a new air temp sensor that just connects right up. Fits perfect, quick install.

Reactions: judgeschambers

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Thanks Brian, certainly looks better without the intake resonator and the price is not that bad.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I did this mod as well,to me just as good as any $300 piece of aluminum!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
A little more "noise" under the hood??? Mostly at WOT????

That might just be cool.
No, It was louder right at start up. It fires up and idles with more volume also.
Not astounding, but you definitely hear it. I have a totally stock 2011 auto exhaust though. If you have a catback, exhaust might make any change hard to hear.
But it makes sense.. they put that tumor resonator thing on there to lower noise, so it must do something in that regard. My 05 Hemi Grand Cherokee had an
elaborate "air resonator" on the intake to quiet it also, with baffles, etc.

Good Riddance, I say!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does this thing work with the 09 airbox or do I need to get one of those as well?
I would ask RTRETRO what year is put his on.. but I think it would.
The 2011 airbox is larger in size, because of the additional 'pointed' end where previous years' power steering fluid res. is... but I think the hook up end of the airbox is in the same location.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would ask RTRETRO what year is put his on.. but I think it would.
The 2011 airbox is larger in size, because of the additional 'pointed' end where previous years' power steering fluid res. is... but I think the hook up end of the airbox is in the same location.
Ah is see the extra size in that box.......Where did the P/S res get moved to on the 11s?
I had contemplated moving mine in order to try to build my own airbox.
Never actually did it though......I'm the king of procrastination!!:disgust:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah is see the extra size in that box.......Where did the P/S res get moved to on the 11s?
I had contemplated moving mine in order to try to build my own airbox.
Never actually did it though......I'm the king of procrastination!!:disgust:
I credit RTRETRO for this mod.. I knew I saw it here a few weeks ago.
Here is the link to his original post:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/clean-air-duct-58703/

for 2011 we have some type of electric assist for the power steering..
so no reservoir. I think I have that correct.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Just finished installing my Charger intake about 4 hours ago - very simple mod!! Now i just need to go find a K&N filter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
does the K&N filter for the 2011 have the same part number as the 2009? Just wondering if the filter for the box is bigger in 2011 or if the box is just bigger with more openings for airflow?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Neveremind i found it.
2011 is a little larger. I think!!! I'm assuming that they are the same width and length with the exception of that little extension.

Here is the 2009.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I keep reading how some of you think that by changing the tube/airbox and swapping out the airfilter to a K&N filter is just as good if not better than a cold air kit. I just pulled off my Mopar CAI kit for cleaning and put my SRT8 tube/airbox with K&N set up back on. The car definatly feels way weaker now, since the change I've have stalled out at least 3 times, throttle response is crap, and yes I've reset the adaptives. I also have the longer IAT and Pred 93 tune. The car runs waaay better with the Mopar CAI and thats not seat of the pants. Everybody seems to put alot into peak HP gains and fail to look at the entire HP/TQ curve. Just saying!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I keep reading how some of you think that by changing the tube/airbox and swapping out the airfilter to a K&N filter is just as good if not better than a cold air kit. I just pulled off my Mopar CAI kit for cleaning and put my SRT8 tube/airbox with K&N set up back on. The car definatly feels way weaker now, since the change I've have stalled out at least 3 times, throttle response is crap, and yes I've reset the adaptives. I also have the longer IAT and Pred 93 tune. The car runs waaay better with the Mopar CAI and thats not seat of the pants. Everybody seems to put alot into peak HP gains and fail to look at the entire HP/TQ curve. Just saying!
So you put it on a Dyno???
If you're stalling you might have other issues. My car has NEVER stalled whether it be stock airbox/filter and no tune, tune with stock box, tune with CAI, CIA with no tune etc.......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts