1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wow - nice numbers. Factory Freak? That would be too cool to pull 360 rwhp / 393 tq from a stock RT. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
360 seems extremely generous especially when we see most Challengers (R/Ts) put down 330-335 at the wheels. 340 would be considered generous! how are they getting that extra 20rwhp?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the article, Clicking on the challenger rt link it says the challenger rt put down 350 to the wheels. It seems to be a pretty generous dyno.

This is also the same dyne that showed the 392 at 452hp.
that was 350rwtq, not HP, they said 335rwhp for the challenger R/T

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't the Autos usually dyno lower too?

How is this Charger putting down 360 stock?

Is this engine the same spec as the 5.7 in the 2011 Challenger RT? I'm still waiting on delivery, but that would be awesome if my 2011 RT had 360 hp when it got here...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Are we still asking this same question. Take your car to 4 different dynos and your numbers will vary 25rwhp from one to the other.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's still stronger than most 2009-2010 Auto RT's, quite a few dynos put them around 318-320...
why cant dynos all be standardized so we know what we are looking at! :icon_evil:

the strangest part is when they did the 09 challenger it was reading about what everyone else was seeing...335rwhp. now we see a 25rwhp difference in a car thats supposed to be tuned with slightly less power than the challenger. yes, i am aware that we will see different numbers on different dynos on different days, but a 25hp difference with the same engine!? the only thing i can think of is maybe they entered the wrong wheel size criteria in the dyno for the charger or some other factor that would effect the output. they are supposed to be professionals, but we've all seen what those professionals did with the horrid performance numbers when testing the 08 srts and 09 r/ts...

in other dynos that i've seen, the 2011 charger r/t put down 329rwhp...much more on par with what the 5.7 in the charger is supposed to do...

pwr andy...is that possible? to enter the wrong wheel size and get a different output? i'm no expert on dynos....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is no such thing as a best dyno. The plain fact is that the dyno is a tuning and a comparison tool. Horsepower is a relative number which basically breaks down to this equation.

TQ X Time(max rpm)
___________= HP

Where dynos differ is really in the correction factors and method of roller drag measurement. A dynojet will have generally higher numbers than a Mustang Dyno due to the fact that the dynojet is more accurate in correction factors such as humidity, temperature and barometric pressure. A dyno jet can give you a number for 72 degrees, 0% humidity at sea level even though the power was measured in Denver, at 100 degrees and 100% humidity.

With these kinds of variables the effort used to positively ascertain an engine's power output is fruitless at best. The chassis dyno that has the closest method to acertaining power as the OEM's is the Dynojet...it is SAE rated and uses the same factors as factory engine dyno's

Whatever dyno you choose the power variance in different modifications should be very close to identical when conditions are identical.

Ex.

Mustang dyno

baseline 302 whp
Intake 312 whp +10hp

Dynojet

baseline 332 whp
Intake 342 whp +10hp

You use dynos for the variance not the baseline.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You use dynos for the variance not the baseline.
thanks for explaining that! that helps a noob to dynos like me understand. :)

however, when you say to use it for the variance...how would explain the 25rwhp difference between the 2011 Charger and 2009 Challenger that they used on the same dyno? the challenger was on there in april of 2009, so its almost 2 years ago. with the knowledge you have, is it possible for them to have entered the wrong wheel size or gear ratio to have come out with such a huge gap with the same engine? i mean i can see maybe give or take 5rwhp...what do you think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts