Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my 2011 new. On the way home, I blasted the stereo and didn't notice any rattles, but the next day, I heard rattles that would remain for years. I'm a do-it-yourself person, and I figured that I could find the rattle and fix it myself. I really didn't like the idea of the dealer poking around in the dash. Well, I tried several times to fix the rattle, but it always rattled after I finished - until this last time.

In my case, it sounded like it was coming from the right dash speaker, but then it sometimes sounded like it was in the middle stack somewhere - and I even thought it was coming from the left dash speaker at times. In reality, the rattle would start at the corner, but I think the top of the dash would resonate the rattle all over - making it hard to pinpoint.

The problem was the dash itself and the rattle was coming from both the left and the right speaker areas. It was not the speakers and not the speaker/vent cover - it is the dash. Mine is now fixed and free of rattles - even on very bumpy roads.

On the right and left corners of the dash - up where it meets the windshield, there is a large dash section that isn't fastened down - and it rattles (and resonates the rattles) over rough roads - or even when I'd hit the dash lightly just about the glove box area with my fist.

The fix for my car was to push foam padding up under both sides of the dash - right under the small dash area to the left of the dash left speaker and also to the right of the right dash speaker. (see my picture - I put a red X on the spots that needs foam put directly underneath.

To get to those two areas, you need to pull off the "A" pillar covers on both sides. With the "A" pillar covers off, you can push foam under the edges of the dash. I got the foam from Home Depot. It's used for insulating window air conditioners. Since it's black color, it won't show if you don't get it all tucked out of sight.

This fixed mine 100%. I've tested it several times now. You can figure out if your rattles are caused by this same issue without taking anything apart - just stuff rags in between the windshield and the dash so that the dash is being pressed down (where I marked in the pics) and go drive over a road that causes the rattles in your car.

Good Luck - I hope this helps some of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
The "A" pillar covers pull off? Are they snapped on like the valve covers? It seems they might be part of the reason for the rattle to begin with. I'll have to check when I pull it out this spring.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,898 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I see they do pop off. Thanks for the tutorial. I see a lot of opportunity for a rattle to settle into the works up front. I look forward to digging into it when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi - to remove the "A" pillar cover, slip your fingers in behind it at the top edge and pull firmly towards the direction of the center console. These "A" pillar covers are held in with two metal clips each and they will disengage when you pull. There is a retainer strip that keeps the "A" pillar cover from coming off during an airbag deployment - you'll see that strip once you pull the "A" pillar cover off, but you can leave that strip attached and just swing the cover out of the way.

I found the package with the black foam I used to stop the rattles - it's made by Frost King (part number AC42H) and Home Depot sells it for $2.17 a package. I used one package. I included a picture of it in case someone wants to use the same foam.

I've driven my car many times now (intentionally over rough roads) since the original post and there are no rattles anymore - at all.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts