Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching a recent MotorWeek episode that I had just taped and noticed, during the acceleration testing of a Audi R8 Spyder, that there was a 2011 DWB IE Challenger lined up on the edge of the track with some other cars. Hmm! I thought.

I did a search on the MotorWeek sight and found out that they had taped and aired the Challenger's episode back in February. Anyway, if no one has seen it, you can view it here: 2011 Dodge Challenger IE test.

Anybody seen this before? It's pretty good and well stated. (I like how they describe the white seats)

Notice that they said they had to "correct" the Challenger's acceleration times. I guess testing on a cold track and having a 30mph HEADWIND would skew the times. DUH!!! (It'd be interesting to see the correction formula they used. Does DA account for the headwind? :scratchhead:)

Anyway, enjoy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for the fine. Missed that one aired on Feb. 19th I was in FL.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great find. Thanks for sharing. Mopar Missile FTW !

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
great catch..did not hear about this yet.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good video, 392 looks stunning as per usual.

It's mis-leading though when you say the 392 has 90ft-lb of torque more than the 6.1L without talking about the area of the power band that applies to (e.g. @ xxxx rpm)

50ft-lb is still an awesome jump, but saying it has 90 more torque without clarifying could make people believe either the 392 has 510ft-lb or the 6.1L has only 380ft-lb.

Either way... if anyone needs me i'm gonna be over there sitting in that dark corner with my weak little 6.1L :(

:werd:

(Oh, and what I didn't like in that video was how he said "even though the Mustang and Camaro crowd still don't have anything to be concerned about... blah blah blah... pretty sure the 392 will/does make a MOCKERY of the Camaro SS and will probably toast a 5.0L as well)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Great find, thanks I missed this show also.

Ok, now for the complaining...

While camaro and mustang may still not have much to worry about, the Dodge Challenger has certainly become a more serious "challenger". It's styling is definitely a winner in our book and improved performance is always a plus.

OK, let's break it down...

camaro and mustang may still not have much to worry about... Really, is this the case. We are such poor performers that they don't even have to worry about it? Really? Is there a little sponcer envy showing maybe?

Styling goes without saying, what else could they say?

"improved performance is a plus" Kind of condescending as if speaking to a child.

Is it just me or do blue oval and bow tie guys just not get it?

OK, rant over, Good post, but I am weak from the waiting for my car.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
im surprised they only discussed mileage alittle bit...that show seems to be completely focused on how 'green' a car is....

too bad they ended the review by saying were no competition for the SS and 5.0....it was positive until then

·
Registered
629 Posts
im surprised they only discussed mileage alittle bit...that show seems to be completely focused on how 'green' a car is....

too bad they ended the review by saying were no competition for the SS and 5.0....it was positive until then
Yep, that show is not for the enthusiast. They have more of an average person view of cars, those that care about MPG and seating capacity and number of cup holders. I like the show generally, as you get some ones point of view that is mostly different than your own.

Every one always wants their car to be the fastest, but there is always some one faster. To me, there is more than just 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with cars like these. Its the whole package, the driving experience. Maybe I'm just getting old, but having the "fastest" car in my work parking lot just isn't that important to me anymore (and really never was).

·
Registered
353 Posts
This was filmed at a track in Effingham county not too far from my house. A good friend of mine was out there the day they filmed and took pics. Those tires on that 392 were bald by the time they were done.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you look at their review of the 2010 GT-500, they got the exact same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as the 392. That's with a S/C'd 5.4 with a said 540 hp and 510 Tq.

They just seemed more excited about it.

I can't see how they can claim that the "5.0 and SS have not much to worry about" when they're own tests were identical to the 2010 Shelby Cobra???

Any 5.0 and SS owners think they'd be up to taking on a S/C Shelby Cobra, stock for stock, and winning with the drivers being equal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts