Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been quite a while since I posted anything about our project. It has been quite the roller coaster ride as we've been working since June to put this all together. The good news, I am very happy to report that we are FINALLY, absolutely, positively building a race car for 2011.

The bad news is that, due in large part to the financial issues with Richard Petty Motorsports, we will not be working as closely with The King as originally planned and envisioned. Richard is still interested in and excited about our project, but his hands are full (of Fords) for 2011.

We will be taking our 2011 SRT-8 Challenger to the track in bone stock form next week to get some baseline performance and handling data... And to just enjoy all 392 cubic inches we have to play with. Look for some very cool video before the new year, we will have at least 4 cameras in/on/around the car.

I was so tired when I got home earlier in the week that I inadvertently deleted all of the exterior shots of the car I had save this one, which basically shows nothing new. The fun is under the hood (and in the suspension) and we'll get some video up soon showing that working for you.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and support, and especially Speedlogix for their commitment to our success. It's really going to be a fun and challenging year.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Whoa so thats a 2011 392 srt? PLEASE let us know asap when you get some data on that thing, theres tons of us dying to know real world stats. Can't wait to see how these things take to heavy work.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Well that sucks about petty. I thought he would be all over this since he is makin his own challengers. But at least your Movin forward I can't wait for the season to begin. See you at lime rock

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Well that looks silver, not building silver in 11 are they?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is indeed a 392. Since we're road racing, we may not generate the data many want to see (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.). But, I will be able to share some really solid cornering and braking information and we have a professional camera crew shooting the test next week, so should be able to give you the sights and sounds of the 392 being pushed to the limit.

I can say that when we first heard it fire up, we were surprised and impressed with the sound. Very throaty for an X-pipe car and it really sounds big.

For you weight reduction gurus, we're planning to weigh basically everything we can as we disassemble this car to bare bones for the build up into a GRAND-AM car. Weight target is 3,200 lbs including the 180lb rollcage.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
On another note Why didn't you start with the v10 drag pack and build from there instead of a stock srt

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that looks silver, not building silver in 11 are they?
It is silver and in fact, this car is indistinguishable on the outside from a 2010 (it has the 2010 front fascia and chin spoiler also). But underneath and inside, it's all 2011.

Renfrick: It was a big disappointment to us about Richard (as I hope it was for him also). But, the reality is that NASCAR is BIG business - much bigger than our little race effort - and RPM is a Ford team. We still have hope there will be opportunities down the road to work with Richard, but for now we're focused on building the car.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
It is silver and in fact, this car is indistinguishable on the outside from a 2010 (it has the 2010 front fascia and chin spoiler also). But underneath and inside, it's all 2011.QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying, good luck, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On another note Why didn't you start with the v10 drag pack and build from there instead of a stock srt
Several reasons:
1) The Drag Pak cars have quite a few modifications to the body - specifically in the rear suspension area - that we would have to "undo" to get the body the way we want/need it

2) The GRAND-AM rules require us to use the stock drivetrain - all the way from the air filter through the diff. and axles (exhaust is open behind the collectors). None of that comes with a Drag Pak car. Even the front suspension of a Drag Pak car is a special lightweight setup that would never survive a road course pounding

3) The engine in a Drag Pak car is lowered and slid to the right to aid in weight distribution. While we'd love to do the same, relocating the engine for performance purposes is "contrary to the philosiphy of the class."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts