Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my IE to a 2nd dealership to fix my saggy headliner...its at the very back around the 3rd brake light..its 1/2" crooked around the light and when you feel with your hands you can feel 1/2-3/4" extra gap from one side to the other....

i first noticed it while looking in the rearview...my 6 year old noticed it on his own while sitting in the back seat...

it is horrible and gross? no...but its there and shouldnt be for a $50k car

the first dealer said - sorry nothing we can do

2nd dealer said- its 1 piece and we checked on the 2011 RT's we have and they all have the same thing-we put in a call to Dodge to see what we can do...

I can live with it if i have to, but i may ask Dodge for some compensation...i dont want them to take my front windshield out to replace it....i worry it may cause more problems than it would solve...

look at the headliner around your 3rd brake light..is yours crooked too?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
took my IE to a 2nd dealership to fix my saggy headliner...its at the very back around the 3rd brake light..its 1/2" crooked around the light and when you feel with your hands you can feel 1/2-3/4" extra gap from one side to the other....

i first noticed it while looking in the rearview...my 6 year old noticed it on his own while sitting in the back seat...

it is horrible and gross? no...but its there and shouldnt be for a $50k car

the first dealer said - sorry nothing we can do

2nd dealer said- its 1 piece and we checked on the 2011 RT's we have and they all have the same thing-we put in a call to Dodge to see what we can do...

I can live with it if i have to, but i may ask Dodge for some compensation...i dont want them to take my front windshield out to replace it....i worry it may cause more problems than it would solve...

look at the headliner around your 3rd brake light..is yours crooked too?
huggytree,

How about posting some good pics of this so we can see what you are describing?

JFF:D

·
Super Moderator
16,469 Posts
Huggy -

IIRC, Brampton Builder (and a couple of other members) posted that there's some clips in that area that the headliner is secured with.

The other post was when someone's CHMSL (3rd brakelight) was removed for rear window tint the headliner got dislodged - they pushed it back and clicked the clips into place and got their headliner to fit properly.

You might give that a try or PM Brampton Builder...

It might resolve the problem with an easy fix like that.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer said their is no clips and no way to adjust...its all one piece they told me....

this is the 2nd dealer who told me this

ill attempt to get it in a photo...its a black on black spot, so i dont know how well it will show up.....most people wouldnt notice....but i find it funny my 6 year old catches flaws as good as me...

if you look in your rear view mirror where the 3rd brake light is the headliner covers the brake light spot....thats where its crooked....another way is to run your fingers around the back window where it meets the headliner...theres a gap there...mine has a 1/2" on one side and a 1 1/4" on the other.....its one of those things where once you notice it it stands out...at a glance most people wouldnt notice....it took me a month and 200 miles to notice

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I noticed the headliner sagging in the same spot on my IE. Until it gets more noticable I'm not goint to take it in.

·
Vendor
5,693 Posts
The other day we noticed mine has an issue with the headliner around the 3rd brake light, and my c-pillar covers are partially off / warped as well. I haven't taken it anywhere, and today it seemed much better. It's been super hot down here this past week so that seemed to make it worse.

Sorry you guys are having some troubles too, but glad to have found this thread.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i read an article about the new 300 in USA today. It talked about quality at the redone Brampton plant....panel fit was a major issue. They now check panel fit multiple times instead of the old way (once at the end of the line)....they talked about how people see crooked panels and assume it reflects on the quality of the whole vehicle.....obviously they did not look at headliner fit the same....i checked out my other 2 vehicles and they fit perfect...only Dodge has crooked headliners.....

i notice no change in headliner fit when its hot or cold.....but then again i dont drive my car much and it mainly sits in my garage, not out in the sun

Dodge has not called me back over a fix for the issue....i doubt they will....its going to be something we have to accept and part of it being a Dodge

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
C-Pillars - Normal or Not?

Lisa,

Do these photos of my car look better or worse than yours?

I can clearly see a gap along both C-pillars in my GWE and am not sure if this is "normal"? From what I have read on CT, it apparently is? Not sure that I agree, but I would think that these areas should fit "better"?

Or is that just wishful thinking? Does everyone's Challenger rear headliner, C-pillar area fit like this?:disgust:

Drivers C-Plillar

Drivers C-Plillar2

Passenger C-Plillar

Passenger C-Plillar2

JFF:(

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Interesting i will look when Iget home in 10 days but never noticed this before. I will look at my 09 also.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Wow.. that's pretty bad. Must be a 2011 thing (this and the 3rd brake light fitment), as I don't have either problem on my 2010.

Looks like something else on your GWE to have the dealer take care of.

Mike

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I don't have fitment like that on my 11.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was getting ready to post that you need to live with some of the "small" issues until I saw those pics! That really is bad, and I couldnt live with that. My '10 is not that way. I'd defininately make them install a new headliner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my gwe looks has the same bad fitment when you look through the rear window. i have a shop and tried everything to make it better. only thing that worked was 20% dark window tint. now you cant see it! ignorance is bliss i suppose.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i agree that mine is a small issue over all, but its a quality issue

when you look out your rear view mirror the headliner shouldnt be crooked by 3/4"+ to your defroster lines....its never been on any other car ive ever owned..

ill live with it and let it go....its just annoying to accept it on a $50k car

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just so everyone knows - the pictures I posted of my C-pillars do make it look pretty bad, but I should have added that you can't really see it unless you are trying to find it. The rather wide black surrounding the window does "hide" it pretty well. (that my be intentional on Dodge's part). It is barely noticable otherwise.

And as someone mentioned, once I add tint, it will be even harder to notice. But it is somewhat surprising to see it so open along the back edge and C-pillar area. Not sure how durable that area will be over time either. I will mention it to my dealer so they are aware but will likely not ask for any action to be taken at this time.

Back to what huggytree posted about originally, I also do see a slight "sag" on the passenger's side of my headliner near the CHMSL. It is only about 1/4" to 1/2" lower on that side, but it is noticeable - if you look for it - too. :( The driver's side fits very well, but it starts to droop along the passenger side.

Here are some pics.

CHMSL - Headliner3

CHMSL - Headliner6

CHMSL - Headliner - passengers side

CHMSL - Headliner - drivers side

JFF:D

·
Super Moderator
16,469 Posts
There's definitely a difference in the fitment of the '11 headliner and trims. On JFF's shots (pass side through rear window) you can see the side curtain airbag hanger strap.

On the 2009 I have, the fit is tight around the CHMSL and the headliner ends and C-pillar finish trim is concealed by the black border trim on the glass.

From the front windshield, you can see the edge of the headliner and the backing foam, but you have to crouch down and look up between the glass and the black border trim, but not visible in "normal" views looking head on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a slightly different story (but I am gonna check mine again tomorrow when it is light out). When I was driving a little fast on the highway I opened the sunroof. This caused the headliner trim strip around the sunroof to become dislodged. This caused the headliner to pick up the wind and 'balloon out'. When I noticed it I shut the sunroof and started feeling around behind me on the roof while I was driving. I pulled over and stared to experiment by pressing up to see if I could find a clip or a clamp. Well I found it in the back seat pressing up I was able to re-seat the headliner. I am worried this may happen again if I open the sunroof while driving. I also was left with the impression those clips were not seated very well coming out of the factory as I got a very positive sounding click.

So here is my theory... if some of you facing this issue were to dislodge a few clips in the back near the 'sag' you may be able to manipulate the headliner into a better position and then re-seat the clips with better fitment.
Just a thought...
CR

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a slightly different story (but I am gonna check mine again tomorrow when it is light out). When I was driving a little fast on the highway I opened the sunroof. This caused the headliner trim strip around the sunroof to become dislodged. This caused the headliner to pick up the wind and 'balloon out'. When I noticed it I shut the sunroof and started feeling around behind me on the roof while I was driving. I pulled over and stared to experiment by pressing up to see if I could find a clip or a clamp. Well I found it in the back seat pressing up I was able to re-seat the headliner. I am worried this may happen again if I open the sunroof while driving. I also was left with the impression those clips were not seated very well coming out of the factory as I got a very positive sounding click.

So here is my theory... if some of you facing this issue were to dislodge a few clips in the back near the 'sag' you may be able to manipulate the headliner into a better position and then re-seat the clips with better fitment.
Just a thought...
CR
I had basically the same issue yesterday. I opened the sunroof and as I did, something caught my eye. The headliner where it meets the back of the sunroof was hanging down. Seems like the only thing holding it up is the rubber gasket for the sunroof. I was able to get it back in, but I'm afraid to open the sunroof again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts