Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The truth hurts. :(

But I can speak from my experience as the owner of a 2005 Jeep and a 2005 Chrysler 300C.

They have BOTH been to the service department wayyyyyy to many times for repairs. Chrysler definately needs to work to improve in this area.

JFF:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
So the industry average is 1.5 problems per car, and Dodge is slightly over 2 problems per car. Not much difference. And, of course, this doesn't detail what the problems are (sagging headliner versus - what - blown transmission?).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Reliability usually takes top billing when compared to other categories such as fuel efficiency, price, style, etc. based on a few public opinion polls I had seen over the past few years. Chrysler/Dodge needs to step up its game in a big way.
Speaking of reliability, I had been noticing an inordinate amount of Dodge/Chrysler vehicles (compared with other mfr's) around lately that appear to have paint/clearcoat issues. The best way I can desribe what I'm seeing is that the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk lid, etc) look as if someone had dumped donut glaze on them and it dried. To be fair, I have noticed this on other brands of cars/trucks also, but seems that 7 times out of 10 it was a Chrysler product. Anyone else notice it?:scratchhead:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would say that it is not surprising result considering the problems that Dodge cars have. What is really sad is that most of the problems are not fixed in the new models or new batches of the cars. For example, engine stalling problems appeared in 2005 chargers and it is still not fixed in the 2011 cars. The same applies to the challenger like the falling headliner issues, wheel hop, rocker panel problems and some other problems.

I guess we will see an improvement in the quality of dodge cars starting from 2011 cars such as the new charger and the durango as they improved the quality of these cars (according to dodge). However, only time will tell.

I am really impressed with the improvement that Ford and its subsidiaries (linclon) have and hope GM and Crysler will do the same.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have had 3 Jeeps 1 was a 2005 5.7 Hemi which was lemoned due to water leaking inside the drivers side all the time. A 2006 SRT8 which was flawless and the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee I got rid of after a month or I would have lemoned it too, it had issues up the wazoo.

I have had 2 Dodges 2008 Charger SRT8 worked to the balls car was bulletproof and now my 2010 Challenger SRT8, other then the broken rocker panel being cracked the car has been AWESOME.

I take these studys with a grain of salt.

Look at the issues with Camaros, there forum is full of unhappy campers, when I was thinking of one I was getting pmed left and right to not do it by members due to issues etc.

All makers have issues its the nature of the beast, hey atleast its not a Toyota LOL!

·
Registered
427 Posts
My Challenger is my 1st Dodge and so far 8 months/7,500 miles & no complains but it did come with a 7 year/70K bumper to bumper warranty.

Both door handles broke in the 1st month on our new 06 Mustang then we road it hard for 50K miles without any issues. No issues with our new 10 Mustang after 7 months/5,000 miles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a Volvo back in 1998 that was supposed to be bullet-proof. Total POS. I should of lemon lawed it. I just love the look of this car and never get tired of looking at it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
So the industry average is 1.5 problems per car, and Dodge is slightly over 2 problems per car. Not much difference. And, of course, this doesn't detail what the problems are (sagging headliner versus - what - blown transmission?).
In my limited time of ownership (2 1/2 mo.) I would tend to agree. The drive train on these cars is similar to the HEMI trucks which was a recommended vehicle by CR.

No complaints from me there, but it's a little concerning that Chrysler seems to use some cheap parts/vendors for their trim items. I'm referring to headliners, rocker panels, interior door trim, hood rubber strips, etc. A disturbing pattern.

·
Registered
301 Posts
These numbers are from 08 vehicles. Chrysler has been banking on improvements made after that, and likes to focus on the Initial 60 Days JD Power metric.

Hopefully that metric tells a better story for Chrysler.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I learned many years after that GM had a lot of issues in the 80's. You couldn't tell from my 1983 Firebird. Flawless car, I miss her from time to time.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
ive never owned a Dodge before last week, but my family and friends have owned them....one has lemon lawed (2) Avengers and most have swarn off Dodge...my friends have a bet which will be first- the transmission going or leaks

I chose the Challenger because of its looks/performance and its the only fast car which fits 3 kids in the back seat.....i accepted the quality issues...i know it will be in the garage once in a while...oh well....

I just sold my Toyota 3 months ago...buttons were falling off, i was on my 3rd radio, leather seats cracked at 20k, engine mount broken at 60k, water pump at 60k, seat back fell off 4x ($250 for a new seat back)....it was just a piece of junk....i refuse to buy Toyota again...i went back to Chevy --- Honda is the only Jap. brand id consider in the future.....i think youll see Toyota going down in that list in the future...hopefully Dodge will rise a bit

·
Registered
301 Posts
ive never owned a Dodge before last week, but my family and friends have owned them....one has lemon lawed (2) Avengers and most have swarn off Dodge...my friends have a bet which will be first- the transmission going or leaks

I chose the Challenger because of its looks/performance and its the only fast car which fits 3 kids in the back seat.....i accepted the quality issues...i know it will be in the garage once in a while...oh well....

I just sold my Toyota 3 months ago...buttons were falling off, i was on my 3rd radio, leather seats cracked at 20k, engine mount broken at 60k, water pump at 60k, seat back fell off 4x ($250 for a new seat back)....it was just a piece of junk....i refuse to buy Toyota again...i went back to Chevy --- Honda is the only Jap. brand id consider in the future.....i think youll see Toyota going down in that list in the future...hopefully Dodge will rise a bit
Toyota has been going down the list on the initial quality survey. I believe they were worse then the industry average last year.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I don't pay much attention to these surveys. Not saying they're incorrect, just that they don't matter to me. I have had no significant issues with my car, but I started doing heavy mods to it immediately and I would never let a dealer touch it. This survey also lumps the brands together and the LX/LC is VERY different from the Avenger/Sebring, Caravan/Voyager and other lines. The mechanical parts have more in common with a M-B than with an Avenger/Sebring.

If that makes me a fanboy, so be it!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
So the industry average is 1.5 problems per car, and Dodge is slightly over 2 problems per car. Not much difference...
Yes, all the brands have really improved the reliability of their cars. Putting this in some historical perspective, when the Japanese were building incredibly reliable cars and blowing the doors off the domestic manufacturers back in the 1980's, the Japanese were around 2 defects per car while the domestic cars were off the scale at a whopping 8 defects per car. That was a huge gap.

Today, if your car had 8 defects you would call it a total lemon and want your $ back. That was the Detroit average in the 80's. Now the best brand is around 1 defect per car with an average of 1.5 while the bottom is around 2. Yes, Dodge needs to improve their numbers, but the gap between the 1.5 average and 2 is just not the dramatic gap that 8 vs 2 was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts