Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2011 R/T with a 6-speed. I love the deep sound when at idle or very low rpm's but when I get on it a little bit, I would like more sound! I have read tons of posts on this and listened to a few clips but it is impossible to tell how a car sounds over the internet. What would be my best bet? Get rid of the resonators completely with a bob's kit? Replace the resonators with mufflers? Get rid of resonators and change out the stock mufflers? Get a cat-back system? I am not looking at dumping $1500 into this. I just want a car that people will hear when they get smoked! Thanks guys and I am totally stoked about my new ride!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Congrats! There are all sorts of options, and it just comes down to personal preference. I agree that sounds clips are sometimes not the best, but search around on here, and you'll see Corsa and Zoomers are popular, so are Pypes, Flowmaster, Borla....get the idea? Hard to narrow it down. Some guys are running custom set-ups, with all sorts of variations of what you mentioned.

While some of the cat-backs are expensive, there are others for well under $1K. Plus, check the classifieds on the forum, there are usually some for sale.

Good luck, and again congrats on the car!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am in the same boat with the same setup 6 speed r/t and for the money I am going to start with a resonator delete. If I am not happy with that my back up is the Solo Mach x.

Here is what sold me on the solos as a back up to the standard resonator delete...

fwiw the zoomers sound incredible, but the price increase to sound increase compared to the price of the solos does not justify them for me.

·
Banned
368 Posts
For the money....Pypes w/Violator mufflers. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
i'm in the same boat you are, i want something that sounds good. i read about 1000 posts on here and listen to a 1000 video's on you tube. so far i like the sound of the solo mach-x and the flow masters. i'm going to a car show this weekend so hopefully there will be some challengers there with some difeerent types of exhaust so i can finally figure out which one i wanna get.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I did the Flowmaster American Thunder set up. Basically a set of 40's and resonator delete. I like the way it sounds and I got the set up for 509 shipped off E Bay. Took me about 30 minutes to install it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got my 2011 R/T with a 6-speed. I love the deep sound when at idle or very low rpm's but when I get on it a little bit, I would like more sound! I have read tons of posts on this and listened to a few clips but it is impossible to tell how a car sounds over the internet. What would be my best bet? Get rid of the resonators completely with a bob's kit? Replace the resonators with mufflers? Get rid of resonators and change out the stock mufflers? Get a cat-back system? I am not looking at dumping $1500 into this. I just want a car that people will hear when they get smoked! Thanks guys and I am totally stoked about my new ride!

Adam - There are a lot of different systems out there. If you're looking for an easy to install stainless steel exhaust system at a great price, check out our Flowmaster 409S kits. They are a great fit, sound, and price...plus they come with a Lifetime Warranty! Even if you don't want to install it yourself, a shop can install it quickly and the easy install keeps labor time down.

Here's a couple of cool videos of our Challenger exhaust system!
YouTube - ‪2009 Dodge Challenger with Flowmaster Stainless 409S Exhaust Kit‬‏

YouTube - ‪Flowmaster American Thunder Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust System - Dodge Challenger SRT8‬‏

·
Registered
124 Posts
I replaced the two bottle mufflers with dynomax bullets. They are the 20inch mufflers. I figured installing the longer bullets would keep some of the drone away and it did.I also installed blastin bobs reso delete pipes. I have to say that this thing sounds like no other. It has no drone while cruising down the highway. But when you get on it, look out. Good luck with your search, Kirbs

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Does anybody know if there is any kind of consensus on if there is a distinct sound quality associated with a bottle style design vs rectangular style design?

If I had to guess by the structural/mechanical profile, I would guess the bottle muffler goes more in the harder, direct sound direction while the rectangular goes more in the resonant/reverberant sound direction? The bottle muffler emits less overall sound from the actual body shell, with the sound coming out the end of the tailpipe being the more dominate contribution? The rectangular muffler emits more overall sound from the actual body shell, which contributes more appreciably with the tailpipe output?

This is not to mean that they have starkly different sounds, though. It's just if you were to really pick apart how they sound different, that is the "direction" you would describe it, per my speculation. Is there any credence to this, or is it just a complete mystery bag as to how any given muffler design under any given brand sounds like?

Also bear in mind that this explanation is really for the scenario where there is only the single muffler stage in an exhaust system in effect. When you put a resonator on the end of the system, that is another wildcard, of course, that will radically change the perceived sound that actually comes out of the car (by design).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tomorrow I am getting the resonator delete done at a shop for $80 so I'm not out much if I don't like it. Hopefully it sounds good for the money!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I just got back from the exhaust shop and they cut off the little suitcases behind the rear wheels which it turns out are actually the mufflers. It sounds freaking amazing! I have the two bottle mufflers in the middle of the car which I guess are actually resonators and not mufflers. Any way, I love the way it sounds! I gave the guy $100 and he did a great job and welded everything up perfect. A must for any 6 speed R/T guys!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Adam - I am looking at doing the same exact thing. How is the "popping" sound I have heard of from this mod? I was under the impression that the resonator was right behind the tips? Did it make it too obnoxious since you removed the "mufflers" instead of the resonators?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I pulled the trigger and took the resonators off my 2011 RT Classic 6spd. I left the mufflers alone. I was advised not to get rid of the mufflers because the scavenging effect (back pressure) would be way off and would result in a loss of HP. I will change out the mufflers later, but getting rid of the resonators made a big difference. Idle is about the same - maybe a little louder, but get on it and it really opens up. There is no popping when letting off the throttle in gear. The sound is deep and throaty with a little rasp at about 3.5 to 4 thousand rpm. I am happy with the results - especially since it only cost $86 after tax. Good mod!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the sound too, but an interesting note is that those suitcase looking resonators right behind the tips are actually our mufflers and the bullets closer to the middle of the car are our resonators. Still love the sound though! My mpg went down though, but it may be because of my driving. On my next fill up I am going to drive normal again and see if my mpg comes back up. If not, we might have to get mufflers to up the back pressure as those mid way resonators are a straight through design...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Adam - After crawling under the challenger I realized that the mufflers were by the tips. I had the "tube" resonators removed. I love the sound when I rod on it! Did you remove the resonators or the muffler? Removing the resonators doesn't affect back pressure since they are a "through" design. "Toxic Bee" went on a diet this weekend! Here's some pics of the pieces removed and the finish product of the resonator "delete".

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I removed the kidney shaped suitcase looking deals right behind the rear wheels so I assume these are actually the mufflers. Is this not what Blastin Bob's kit removes?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts