Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Roto-fab CAI and went to install it in my 2011 R/T and ran into the age old Round Peg into a Triangular Hole problem. I'm guessing previous Challengers had a round hole in the fender well? Now the Roto-fab doesnt seat or seal properly and sits too high, so just a warning to all you 2011's out there I'm guessing the C&L CAI would have the same problem.

Now I gotta decide whether to send it back or modify it myself to make it fit and seal like it should.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Can't even put a drop in K&N in the stock box because they changed the shape of the panel filter for 2011 as well

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, 2010 and earlier R/T's appear to have the round hole. My JMB CAI pic...

Here is another CT member's Mopar Performance CAI:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
yeah, my 09 has a round hole about 4" in diameter and is the same on all of them up until your model year.

while you have that off though, could you let us know how open or "closed up" things are beneath that opening? like are you able to put your arm into it and move toward the front of the car? curious to what the effect is of the snorkel thats under there....there is a snorkel that attaches to that hole from below, right?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The 2011+ year model air box design is actually a large improvement over the previous model years. You'll notice that, below the triangular hole, the air box actually continues into a snorkel into the fender well. It does a fairly good job and providing some of the freshest possible air to the engine for a stock model.

I would actually send back the RotoFab intake and leave the stock box. The air filter is larger and the air being drawn in is from the fender. It's only a matter of time before they get a K&N air filter.

·
Banned
811 Posts
I agree with rayzazoo, the design of the 2011 box is good. I would just wait for a K&N drop in filter, drop it in, and leave things at that.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Add me to the "agree" list with ray and shark:bigthumb: The stock airbox on previous years was considered to be better than most aftermarket CAI's in terms of getting cooler air to the engine. This new design is even better than those....Send it back and wait for a high flow filter to be released (it shouldn't be too far off). Though I prefer Amsoil "no oil" filters.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts