Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks... I own an '07 Charger SRT8, but have never driven an R/T ANYTHING.

Can someone with experience with both explain the differences in real world performance, handling impressions, durability issues, braking, etc. Basically, I don't have the personal knowledge and am looking to find out what seperates these two models in real world application... not bench racing, or magazine comparisons.

I know both the SRT and R/T have made big improvements since '10, so what all can you tell me and the rest of the interested Mopar world?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Oh, this is going to start fights LOL :worried:

The SRTs are tighter handling, better stopping, and faster than an R/T, stock to stock. The VVT 5.7 closed some of the gap when it came out in '09, as it is only about 25-30 hp down from the 6.1 (based on same day dyno runs I've seen), but the SRTs are still faster. You can make an R/T handle, brake, and accelerate like a stock SRT (basically what I have accomplished with my mods--360 hp, 390 tq, coilovers, custom tune, etc.) or better, but an SRT with those same mods will again be that much faster, generally speaking. My friend with a stock auto 300C SRT8 is door to door with my modified R/T in the 1/8th mile, with identical trap speeds. Being an auto gives him an advantage, as I launch and shift like a granny since this is my daily driver, and my wife will murder me if I break it.

One of the main reason I have 2 R/Ts instead of SRTs is of course price up front, but also maintenance costs are higher. Brembos aren't cheap, are neither are brake jobs when you have them done on SRT8s. They also throw off TONS of brake dust with the stock pads.

Would I like an SRT? Well, sure! Am I willing to pay the price difference? Not up to this point, but for those who do they get an amazing car right out of the box that, if you never mod at all, will be equal to or superior to anything in its class. I like to customize a bit, and that seems to me to defeat the purpose of the SRT, but that is merely my opinion and not an absolute truth. Basically, the SRT is the King of the Hill right out of the box, and a person will have to spend equal to--or more than--the original prioce differenc between R/T and SRT to get equal performance levels. Could I have bought and SRT8 for what I have in my R/T now? Not likely, since I got some screaming deals. But had I paid retail for all my mods? Yep, I could have had an SRT. But then I wouldn't have had any money left to customize it and make it mine. It's all about priorities.

I'm not a hater of any of the models. I have known (and still know) some SRT8 snobs who look down on everything else as beneath them. They bought an SRT8 for bragging rights. Every marque has people like that, from Chevy to Ferrari. Their opinion is basically moot, as far as I'm concerned. A true car guy can appreciate a car for what it is, even if it's not to their tastes. SRT8s are the bomb. But so are R/Ts. And for those of you with 6 cylinders (especially the new Pentastar), you just keep on rockin', too.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Revmarc,

Thanks.

No fights people!

Basically, what I'm getting at is are the differences THAT noticeable between the two models (with explanations/examples)? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
With the 08-10 (09-10 for the R/T) models, it was very easy to get an R/T to/beyond the SRT8 level without spending much money at all..but since your talking 2011, the only thing going for the R/T over the SRT will be weight. The new 392 will eat an R/T alive, and will stay ahead unless the R/T is pretty heavily modded. I love all trims of Challengers, but if I were to choose one..itd be a 2011 SRT8 (unless I planned to mod like crazy, I'd go with an 08-10 SRT8).

·
Registered
630 Posts
I own them both and Revmarc is right on the money. No if's and's or but's. Is the SRT a better car out of the box, YES! Is the RT a fantastic car, Definately YES! Can an RT be made to run the same speed, handle the same, and have all the extras that an SRT has for the same money, I seriously doubt it. As for my SRT, I run in the 11's-not stock by any means. My RT runs in the very high 12's to low 13's at best in stock form.
I love them both and would not trade them for anything.

·
Registered
978 Posts
With the 08-10 (09-10 for the R/T) models, it was very easy to get an R/T to/beyond the SRT8 level without spending much money at all..but since your talking 2011, the only thing going for the R/T over the SRT will be weight. The new 392 will eat an R/T alive, and will stay ahead unless the R/T is pretty heavily modded. I love all trims of Challengers, but if I were to choose one..itd be a 2011 SRT8 (unless I planned to mod like crazy, I'd go with an 08-10 SRT8).
THESE are the kinds of comments that start fights.

I love the R/T and have nothing but good things to say about it (my step-dad has an R/T and i've driven it extensively).

In fact, when the R/T first came out in the 6-speed and it was the only thing I could get my hands on to test drive (a white one) I remember laughing and remarking "Holy Hell... this is all anyone really needs right here!!!" TONS of fun right out of the box and DEAD sexy.

That being said, I think you may be trivializing the SRT model when you say things like "it is very easy to get an R/T to/beyond an SRT8 level without spending much money at all"

We all know what Dodge changed on the SRT-8, and whether or not those things are better or worth the extra coin is a matter of opinion.

What we DO know for sure is that for the people who DO think those features are better/worth it, getting them all into an R/T is neither easy nor cheap.

I'm talkin' seats, kicker system, gauge cluster design, brembos, exhaust, rims, etc.

Now... there is nothing wrong with prefering the more retro design of the R/T's (which NAIL the original '70s model much more accurately than the SRT's do) but each car I believe was designed and intended for a different kind of owner.

Yes, you can slap an intake, exhaust, tune etc on an R/T and it may catch up to an SRT8 speed wise, but it would still have a long way to go to be TRULY "equal" to an SRT8.

Hopefully I worded this post carefully enough where it wont cause a ruckess! :guiness:

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
THESE are the kinds of comments that start fights.

I love the R/T and have nothing but good things to say about it (my step-dad has an R/T and i've driven it extensively).

In fact, when the R/T first came out in the 6-speed and it was the only thing I could get my hands on to test drive (a white one) I remember laughing and remarking "Holy Hell... this is all anyone really needs right here!!!" TONS of fun right out of the box and DEAD sexy.

That being said, I think you may be trivializing the SRT model when you say things like "it is very easy to get an R/T to/beyond an SRT8 level without spending much money at all"

We all know what Dodge changed on the SRT-8, and whether or not those things are better or worth the extra coin is a matter of opinion.

What we DO know for sure is that for the people who DO think those features are better/worth it, getting them all into an R/T is neither easy nor cheap.

I'm talkin' seats, kicker system, gauge cluster design, brembos, exhaust, rims, etc.

Now... there is nothing wrong with prefering the more retro design of the R/T's (which NAIL the original '70s model much more accurately than the SRT's do) but each car I believe was designed and intended for a different kind of owner.

Yes, you can slap an intake, exhaust, tune etc on an R/T and it may catch up to an SRT8 speed wise, but it would still have a long way to go to be TRULY "equal" to an SRT8.

Hopefully I worded this post carefully enough where it wont cause a ruckess! :guiness:
I have Brembos on my R/T, my R/T will run quicker than an SRT8, and will handle just as well (just won an SRT8 suspension) while still FAR under the price of an SRT. I NEVER said the SRT8 wasn't worth it, I love everything that comes with it..but since when does a kicker system add to the performance of an car? Lol Not trying to be a ****** because I love both the R/T and SRT8..but in reality it didn't take 10k to reach the same performance numbers as a stock SRT8.

Sorry I offended you, but it wasn't my intent

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have Brembos on my R/T, my R/T will run quicker than an SRT8, and will handle just as well (just won an SRT8 suspension) while still FAR under the price of an SRT. I NEVER said the SRT8 wasn't worth it, I love everything that comes with it..but since when does a kicker system add to the performance of an car? Lol Not trying to be a ****** because I love both the R/T and SRT8..but in reality it didn't take 10k to reach the same performance numbers as a stock SRT8.

Sorry I offended you, but it wasn't my intent
That's my whole point though... There is a lot more to an SRT-8 than just the added performance.

You can make your R/T as fast as the SRT-8 or faster, sure, but there's more things you won't have that people like me value; hence why I bought one (that's all I'm getting at).

...and I'm not offended.

Different trims for different tastes. I don't think a full priced SRT-8 is worth the extra stuff either which is why I'm glad they can be had at such deep discounts so you can spend that money on keeping you ahead of modded R/T's AND you get the extra SRT goodies! :browsmiley:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts