Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted these on another thread but figured I'll start a new one for those curious about Redline.

The red looks like Torred in the sun and Inferno in the shade. The pic in the shade shows a Torred sitting behind it. You can compare the huge difference in color. I took a close up of the CHarger in Redline too. You can see the metallic flake in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like a blend of Inferno & Torred. I like it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks like a blend of Inferno & Torred. I like it! :thumbsup:
That's a good way of describing it. I've seen the color in person and it's very nice. That written, I wouldn't pay $1,000 extra for it. Also, I prefer TorRed on the Challenger and Charger. Redline looks like it belongs on a luxury car like the Chrysler 300, not a muscle car like the Challenger.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good way of describing it. I've seen the color in person and it's very nice. That written, I wouldn't pay $1,000 extra for it. Also, I prefer TorRed on the Challenger and Charger. Redline looks like it belongs on a luxury car like the Chrysler 300, not a muscle car like the Challenger.
X2 I completely agree. Redline is not a High Impact color and I would never pay $995 extra for it. Thats absurd. I mean hell you can get Grabber Blue on a base Mustang for no extra charge and that is a High Impact color. Chrysler has lost its freaking mind

·
Registered
320 Posts
X2 I completely agree. Redline is not a High Impact color and I would never pay $995 extra for it. Thats absurd. I mean hell you can get Grabber Blue on a base Mustang for no extra charge and that is a High Impact color. Chrysler has lost its freaking mind
I agree. Grabber Blue is an awesome no cost color while this $1,000 red is going to be a hard sell on a base SE where most buyers are price sensitive and many want red. $300 for TorRed is a lot easier to swallow for a color upgrade than $1,000.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Saw this color today. From a distance you can't really tell it's any different from Torred. Close up it looks very nice. Not worth $1,000 however.

As far as grabber blue goes, Dodge needs to put Cosmos Blue from jeep on the Challenger

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
The Redline looks cool but it's really hard to tell on a computer screen how it will look, kinda like FF I guess.

Not to hijack your thread but what # was the IE in the background?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly. I mean if you compare...sure its nice that they put dual exhaust, nicer interior, bigger wheels but....Ford and Chevy have been doing that for over a year now and they still have a cheaper base MSRP and a STICK on their base V6!!! Dodge went up to cover the cost. Dumb dumb dumb. Do you think there would be more Challengers on the road if Chrysler made sense....YES!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Redline red costs more because it is a tri-coat paint. It does cost them more to make. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a high impact color or not. Same with blackberry pearl. Definitely not a high impact color, but you pay a premium for it because of the pearl.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Redline looks cool but it's really hard to tell on a computer screen how it will look, kinda like FF I guess.

Not to hijack your thread but what # was the IE in the background?
No Problem...I've got a few pics of it too :bigthumb: #156

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Redline red costs more because it is a tri-coat paint. It does cost them more to make. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a high impact color or not. Same with blackberry pearl. Definitely not a high impact color, but you pay a premium for it because of the pearl.
Um ....to those who don't know. Pearl coating is almost always 3 stage....base, coat, clear. So no it is not an expensive paint job. It is very standard and common. Being that I used to work at a Ford bodyshop....this paint process is so common. THe most expensive paint jobs are pearl but....they are certainly not worth $1000 more. Hell some of the best paint jobs I've seen come from Hyundai and thier most expensive paints are not $1000 and look waaaay better.

In person I've seen the Avenger in Redline 2 which is a short cutted pearling (base, clear coat is tinted with pearl effect) and there is really no difference unless you are really looking for it. I personally would never pay that much for a simple paint job considering the Inferno red from last year is the exact same staging and prep and cost only $295.....food for thought.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
No Problem...I've got a few pics of it too :bigthumb: #156
Me too it was on ebay. I'd like to see the pics of it that you took also though.:pimp:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me too it was on ebay. I'd like to see the pics of it that you took also though.:pimp:
Sure here ya go bro.... they were taken on two different days...obviously :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Most of the cost difference is in the marketing, not the product. If anyone recalls, when the Challenger first came out there was no extra charge for any of the paint colors. . . Maybe hemi orange, but definitely not torred, inferno, or deep water blue.

I think there might be a diffence between tri-coat and 3-stage, but I'm not an expert. I'm sure there's at least some justification for the higher price.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the cost difference is in the marketing, not the product. If anyone recalls, when the Challenger first came out there was no extra charge for any of the paint colors. . . Maybe hemi orange, but definitely not torred, inferno, or deep water blue.

I think there might be a diffence between tri-coat and 3-stage, but I'm not an expert. I'm sure there's at least some justification for the higher price.
Nope...Toyota and Hyundai have been making this exact same paint technique for years...at little to no extra charge. Justification is Chrysler = stupid marketing. I love my Mopars but damn they are overrun by dumb decisions

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I always wondered why you had to pay extra for TorRed. It's not a pearl.
Anyone know why, if there is a reason.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Looks like my cars cousin is in the one picture next to the Redline one.

Were these at Bluebonnet in NB?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Same with blackberry pearl. Definitely not a high impact color, but you pay a premium for it because of the pearl.
Black is the same basic thing as blackberry. It's a pearlcoat but there is no additional charge for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts