Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first thread here so hang in there. Yesterday I bought a 2011 SE and installed the 2008-09 Charger Mopar fog light kit. The knob on the switch is different but the switch fits and functions the same. The fog light housings bolted in with no problems. There are pigtails at each fog light, but the connector isn't for the bulb. I checked the 2011 owners manual and it does call for the 9145/H10 bulb. I tried finding some part numbers and diagrams on the internet but nobody has the 2011 Challengers listed yet. As soon as I get this figured out I'm going to have the dealer activate them. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fog Lamp install

I have taken out all 8 7mm screws...the two plugs in the fender well and that thing will not move an inch to get to my louvers ...what did I miss? It seems like its caught on both sides of the fender well..there is a torx like screw just under the carbon fiber edge that I think may be the bugger that is stoping me.. what did you do to get that thing off?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean about carbon fiber edge or torx bolt. Under the car there is a splash guard covering the oil pan. It has four 10mm bolts holding it, each bolt has an arrow pointing to it. After that splash guard is removed there are plastic push rivets, three are in the center of the splash gaurd and more around the wheel well on each side, (I can't remeber how many total). Then the 7mm screws attaching the splash guard to the front lip. With all of those fasteners removed the splash guard should come out. I did have to mess around at each fender well a little to get it free, but you can tell when she's ready to come down. Are you working on a 2011 model? If so, let me know what connectors you have for the fog lights. Mine are orange connectors that don't hook up to the bulb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the connectors I have on my 2011. Sorry for the bad picture, I didn't check the camera untill I put my car back together. Anyone seen these on the earlier models?

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you bought the charger kit, why not just cut the connectors off of the wiring loom in the kit you were going to throw away anyway? Just cut them so there is a pigtail and then cut the stockers off throw them out and solder the new ones in. Seems like the easiest and fastest fix to me......good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
I called the carbon fiber thing by mistake. Its the splash pan Im trying to get off. I removed all 8 of them little 7mm bolts and the two push pins on the fender well. It just wont move and Im afraid if I pull to hard on it I will break it at the fender well..My car is a 2010 SE and Im just trying to get the louvers out. I have the lights that will plug right in to my wire harness from a total out RT,,and the switch..I just cant figure out why it wont just fall down and out of the way. Behind that is another piece of Ill call it (plastic) that is totaly not attached to the first piece after I take out the 8 ,,7mm bolts and the push pins or rivets

·
Registered
181 Posts
I called the carbon fiber thing by mistake. Its the splash pan Im trying to get off. I removed all 8 of them little 7mm bolts and the two push pins on the fender well. It just wont move and Im afraid if I pull to hard on it I will break it at the fender well..My car is a 2010 SE and Im just trying to get the louvers out. I have the lights that will plug right in to my wire harness from a total out RT,,and the switch..I just cant figure out why it wont just fall down and out of the way. Behind that is another piece of Ill call it (plastic) that is totaly not attached to the first piece after I take out the 8 ,,7mm bolts and the push pins or rivets
i just did mine recently and i had three push pins on my 2010 se...maybe you are missing two...i just took out the two end 7mm screws and the three push pins and pulled the ends down....no need to take out everything....just a heads up....while you are in there yank out the intake silencer on the drivers side and drop in a K & N airfilter....you will notice a gain in get up and gos....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you bought the charger kit, why not just cut the connectors off of the wiring loom in the kit you were going to throw away anyway? Just cut them so there is a pigtail and then cut the stockers off throw them out and solder the new ones in. Seems like the easiest and fastest fix to me......good luck
Yeah it did cross my mind. Just hate to cut and splice on a car with 68 miles. I wanted to see if anyone had some info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In case anyone is wondering, and for future use as it seems I'm the first 2011 SE fog light installer. The 2011 fog light housings, bulbs, and switch are different than the 2008-10's per dodge part numbers. The housings are different to accept a PSX24W bulb, (hence my wiring connector difference). Also, the MOPAR Charger switch fit and did function my headlights properly but I am going to order the 2011 switch. It seems that the 2011's used only two different switches, one without fogs and one with auto headlamps and fogs. My car has the auto headlight sensor so I'm wondering if I put the auto/fog switch in if my headlights will work automatically. Please note, that all the 2008-10 parts fit perfectly but won't work as factory hook up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
well no wonder Im having such a problem. I have been trying to take off the front lip all this time..sheeee I feel realy stupid now..as a backyard mechanic I kinda feel I should stick to just working on my lawn mower and leaving the hard stuff to the experts. Thanks for that heads up.. when it stops raining Ill go for it again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone know if the 2011 OEM fog kits are available from anywhere yet ? I assume that the 2011 OEM fogs will be Challenger/Charger interchangeable like the 08-10 but ya never know !:scratchhead:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No kit that I know of. But, here are the part numbers.

Part numbers:​

5182025AA – LAMP-FRONT FOG – 2qty. (mine came with bulbs - fyi)
L000PSX24W – BULB – 2qty. (owner’s manual shows wrong bulb - fyi)
6506579AA – SCREW – 4qty.
68019678AE – SWITCH – 1qty. (this is a 2010 swicth, see below)​

Vehicle is prewired for fog lights; the only thing that should be needed is a LNJ sales code update via StarScan/dealerconnect. The 2011 models appear to have auto headlights on all vehicles equipped with fog lights. To update a non-auto head light car to auto would require a new SUN-SENSOR. There are three different sun sensors on the 2011 cars. I believe extra wiring is also required for the auto headlights. The headlight switch must be changed to allow for the fog lights. One should be able to use a 2011 switch but it would have the nonfunctioning auto headlight indicator. The other option is to use the 2010 switch with the fog light but no auto headlight. The fitment and function is identical to the 2011 except the knob does not have the chrome ring. I have all the parts installed but I haven't had a chance to get them activated.​

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Pesc...very helpful...I will check on moparpartsamerica, they'll most likely have the parts and I'll go from there. Thanks again !!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jpesci....Just wondering if you ever got around to activating your fog lights? Everything work ok? Did you change your switch to the 2011 version or stay with the 2010?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I didn't get to the dealer yet. I've been working Monday thru Saturday for the past several weeks. I am using the 2010 switch, works great. I have thought about ordering the 2011 switch and swapping the knobs to make my own "2011 Fog Light but no Auto Switch". I plan to go to the dealer soon for the five TSB's out for my car too. I will keep everyone up to date. Even the salesman at the dealership called and asked me for the part numbers for another customer that wanted them. I will email him to see if it worked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will most likely order the parts and bring them to the dealer for install & activation like I did on my 2010 SE...I know the working all the time feeling....50-55 hr work week doesn't leave much time for installs! Hey Pesc..last time I ordered the Charger kit that came with the wiring...you're saying the wiring is already there behind the knockouts right..so I don't need to order that ? I also wonder if the dealer will have an issue installing a 2010 switch on a 2011...as in a liability thing not a technical thing ?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, my car already had the wiring (just like the pre-2011 SE models). The dealer will probably give you a hard time about using a 2010 switch, but may not even question it if you don't bring it up. Here are the only parts I needed;

5182025AA – LAMP-FRONT FOG – 2qty.
68019678AE – SWITCH – 1qty.

Just keep in mind that while I have all these parts installed I have not had them activated to prove they work, and I don't have any references on other 2011 SE fog light installs. (I don't won't anything bad to happen to your car because of something unforeseen.):thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, my car already had the wiring (just like the pre-2011 SE models). The dealer will probably give you a hard time about using a 2010 switch, but may not even question it if you don't bring it up. Here are the only parts I needed;

Just keep in mind that while I have all these parts installed I have not had them activated to prove they work, and I don't have any references on other 2011 SE fog light installs. (I don't won't anything bad to happen to your car because of something unforeseen.):thumbsup:
Not a problem..I've taken responsibility for ruining many of thing on my own..lol...I looks to me that on some mopar sites I found, a search for OEM fogs come up as for 2009-2010 etc, and say 09-10 won't fit 2011..yet others actually list the same part numbers as being for a 09-11..jeez, confuse us much !! :scratchhead: .. I honestly can't see there being any substantial difference..I guess I'll know soon enough. Let us know what happens when you have them activated !! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts

Just one question.Is that part number for the switch one that auto lights are not needed? When I called the dealership they gave me part 68019789AE for the 2010 challenger. But Im thinking it may be set up for auto headlights. If not it will match the number you posted and Ill go get it.. Also what size screws are needed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the headlamp switch part numbers directly from the 2010 and 2011 parts manuals:

56046731AA - 2011 Headlamp Switch, no auto, no fog lights

68029265AC - 2011 Headlamp switch, with auto, with fog lights

68019567AD - 2010 Headlamp Switch, no auto, no fog lights

68019789AD - 2010 Headlamp switch, with auto, with fog lights

68019678AD - 2010 Headlamp switch, no auto, with fog lights

Keep in mind that the last two letters are the revision and AE is a newer revision than AD.

I decided to not fool with converting to auto headlamps, hence the "non-auto" switch that I used.

The screws per the parts manual are "SCREW, Tapping, M6X2.69X21.55". While these screws could probably be sourced through McMaster Carr or somewhere similar, I decided to just order the overpriced Mopar screws.

And nope, I still didn't get a chance to go to the dealer for activation.:smokin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts