Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've finally saved up enough cash to be able to afford my challenger and i'm really excited about it. I am looking at the 2011 SE because its right in the price range for me and I want to be able to get the better MPG as I will be traveling 60 miles round trip 5 days a week. My only worry is that I don't want to buy a "wimpy Challenger". I know that the new V6 isn't a Hemi but will it still give me a decent ride? I'm afraid of spending money and getting something that just doesn't have enough power. Has anyone bought a 2011 with the new V6? I am planning to go do some test drives but that will only give me what it's like stock. Can I still do some mods to a V6 SE that will give it a little more of a growl?

Thanks for any input.

J.King

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good luck with your new ride when you get it! Be sure to post pics! Any idea what color you're getting?

There are lots of mods you can do to the V6 to get a little more oomph out of it.

But if you're getting a 2011 you're already ahead of the game. Don't worry about power... you've got 300+ hp.. more than the earlier SEs. (Almost makes me wanna trade my SXT in!) My SXT has plenty of power for me... and it's my daily driver too. :)

Take one for a drive... but meantime, don't sweat it... she'll have plenty o' juice. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not to rain on your parade..But the SE drinks gas like its water...In other words, I feel like Im driving a V12 sometimes LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck with your new ride when you get it! Be sure to post pics! Any idea what color you're getting?

There are lots of mods you can do to the V6 to get a little more oomph out of it.

But if you're getting a 2011 you're already ahead of the game. Don't worry about power... you've got 300+ hp.. more than the earlier SEs. (Almost makes me wanna trade my SXT in!) My SXT has plenty of power for me... and it's my daily driver too. :)

Take one for a drive... but meantime, don't sweat it... she'll have plenty o' juice. :)
Thanks for the input, glad to hear it will still have some power. It makes me have a little more peace of mind.

I'm going to get the Toxic Orange color. Eventually with the black stripes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not to rain on your parade..But the SE drinks gas like its water...In other words, I feel like Im driving a V12 sometimes LOL
I got my SE about 3 weeks and have put about 750 miles on it, all city driving and I'm getting 21.8 mpg I wouldn't call that "drinking gas like water" I'm very pleased with that kind of mpg's out of a car that weighs almost 2 tons. The power is good too, I haven't been able to find any perfomance mods yet though. I got the Billet Metallic cover. The ride is great and for room, I'm 6'4" and about 245lbs after dinner and I'm very comfortable driving. Just my 2cents hope this helps.

Devildog

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm getting 22 city and 26-27 highway on my 2010 R/T 6M. Granted, that's keeping my foot out of it most of the time. When I want to have fun, I get on it knowing I pay the price with more gas.

Point I'm trying to make, if gas is a concern not sure the Challenger is the right car, BUT you can probably pick up a still new 2010 R/T close to what a new 2011 SE will cost you.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
26-27 hwy miles os great for me. currently I drive a 96' jeep Cherokee and it gets 13-15 hwy.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
SE is about show not go. I love my SE looks bad A and didn't break the bank. very inexpensive mods like exhaust CAI etc that will improve the exterior sound

my advice though is mod for show not go with the SE

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree. I bought a 2011 SE in Billet Silver. Ive had a myriad of crazy fast cars, but never once took them to the track and only had a handful of serious street encounters. My Challenger is all about cruising in comfort. The dual exhaust gives a nice sound compared to my neighbors 2010 SE. It'll go if you press the pedal for sure.

I'm also headed for the 'look at that car' route. Just discovered Billet Technology last night and hoping to find some 3.6 stuff.

Good luck on the search. Ive had mine two months and absolutely love it.

Cheers
Dusty

·
Registered
93 Posts
To J. King: If you can get the Rallye upgrade (2k more), you'll have a much nicer interior. As far as performance goes, I've driven both the R/T V8 and the New pentastar V6. The difference in performance between the 2010 V6 and this new 2011 V6 is like night and day. It felt just slightly slower than the V8 did. I know the V8 has around 65 more horses but the engine is heavier too. You will like it - just remember the gas gauge will drop pretty fast if you drive it hard. The 2011 V6 has the new 5 speed automatic too which helps it a lot. The 2010 V6 came with a 4 speed.

The regular SE that I saw did not have fog lights, had dim LED lights for the inside lighting, did NOT have automatic headlights and only came with an idiot light for the Tire Pressure monitor system - no compass and no temp gauge either. The seats were cloth, but I liked them - they looked nice and well made.
If you step up to the Rallye and get the Electronics Convenience Group option, you'll have leather seats with heat, automatic headlights, Tire Pressure monitor display system (shows the pressure of each tire instead of one yellow idiot light), much better inside lighting, lit mirrors on the sun visors, compass, temp and auto dimming mirror as well as the IPOD/USB connector, push button start, a real alarm system and remote start. The base SE doesn't have these options... but it still looks good going down the road and it's still just as fast with the new engine and transmission. ALL V6's have dual exhaust chrome tips now too - a nice touch and they all have the automatic door unlock system that works like the keyless start does, the chrome gas door and hood shocks.
Try building your challenger using www.truecar.com and see if it lists dealers near you. If it does, they are supposed to honor a discounted price. I did that and the price dropped 2000.00 and the dealer is honoring it. My car isn't here yet though - it's been stranded in Arizona for the last few weeks for unknown reasons (does anyone know what causes that? - sorry for the topic change).
When I drove the new V6 Pentastar Challenger, the dealer actually loaned it to me for 2 hours with a full tank of gas and no one went with me when I left. I drove it sanely - but I did test it out up hills, over rough roads and I floored it once going up on a steep freeway on-ramp. It was hard to believe that V6 was moving the car so quickly - but it did.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've driven the 2011 SE and it has plenty of power for everyday driving. If you don't drive the V8s, you should be perfectly satisfied. Keep in mind that the Challenger SE is faster than the vast majority of vehicles on the road and has all of the looks of the R/T and SRT for a bargain price. The Rallye trim adds some really nice items for a reasonable price, as the leather really helps the interior, but even the base SE is nice. I think the Challenger SE is one of the best values in cars today and it looks and drives great.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If you are looking for go, then you will be disappointed. Get a 10 R/T for the same money. If you want a daily driver that can keep its own on the highway, the SE is a nice car. It is definitely not a dog. Comfortable ride. It will get you down the ramp and you will be at 70 MPH before you hit the lanes. You don't need more. Don't expect the growl of the 8. You will never get it. I spent a grand and got a buzz, but it is still quiet at speed. Leave your door open when you start your car for that exhaust sound. Then close the door. That's about all the excitement you will get. My wife drove off to the store once and it sounded cool. Probably not worth the $1,000 bucks for that one listen. :) Like IDMT said, don't waste your money on hiking the engine, you will hardly notice it. When I walk up to mine, I get the same feeling as I would if I had an R/T or SRT. With the 2011, you will have all the features of these cars, 20" wheels, duals, electronics inside. All the stuff I wanted a year ago and had to pay extra. But I wanted the car and I had fun putting on the mods. Plus I got a whole year under my belt. Good luck on your choice, what ever it is. Ocean, the 2010 has the 5 speed. It was the 2009 that had the 4 speed. Some day I will have to drive the new V6 to compare against mine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To J. King: If you can get the Rallye upgrade (2k more), you'll have a much nicer interior. As far as performance goes, I've driven both the R/T V8 and the New pentastar V6. The difference in performance between the 2010 V6 and this new 2011 V6 is like night and day. It felt just slightly slower than the V8 did. I know the V8 has around 65 more horses but the engine is heavier too. You will like it - just remember the gas gauge will drop pretty fast if you drive it hard. The 2011 V6 has the new 5 speed automatic too which helps it a lot. The 2010 V6 came with a 4 speed.

The regular SE that I saw did not have fog lights, had dim LED lights for the inside lighting, did NOT have automatic headlights and only came with an idiot light for the Tire Pressure monitor system - no compass and no temp gauge either. The seats were cloth, but I liked them - they looked nice and well made.
I just gotta point out that the 2010 SEs had a five-speed automatic. It was actually introduced late in the 2009 model year.

That said, totally agree. Get the Rallye pack and the G option convenience group (if it's still called the G option.. Heh). Makes the SE nicely equipped. Even moreso for the 2011s!

Toxic Orange? Nice choice! I keep playing with the idea of trading my 2010 SXT in for the 2011 model in TO. (But I wanna stay married... LOL)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, thanks for the input. I'm going to try to talk my wife into the extra Rallye package. we'll see. I'm going to go test drive this weekend and check out some of the different options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Why exactly are you not considering a 2010 RT?
I guess one reason would be mileage. I'm drawn towards the 2011 SE currently because its rated at 27 hwy which 95% of my daily trip is hwy. I've heard some people getting more than that as long as you take it easy.

Also every 2010 R/T I've looked at recently has been around $29,000 where as the 2011 SE is around $23,500. If I can find a 2010 R/T for closer to that price then I'll look into it but I don't think I will that would be new or really low miles.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
So if your price range is in the low twenties, I would stay with the basic car instead of getting the Rallye version. That could put you over $30k. Then mod out your car as you get some more cash.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts