Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my SRT8 392 arrived yesterday, and although I am overjoyed with the car, It did not come with the wheels I thought I had ordered. I was anticipating the standard 20" cast aluminums, but it came wearing the black pocket polished alums.

In my haste to get in my new car, I didn't bring it up with the sales manager. I don't hate the black pockets, but if I had my way, I'd like the cast alums. How should I approach the dealer about this? Do you think there is anything that can be done after taking possession of the car?

Is there anybody with a new set of four cast aluminum 20" that would be willing to do an even swap in the Los ANgeles area?

Any help appreciated.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I would go back and explain to the sales manager what you thought you were getting and see what he'll do. If he has another one on the lot with what you want he might just trade them out. Alot of states you have 72 hours to change your mind on a big purchase.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does the window sticker show the upgraded wheels? Did you get charged for the upgrade in your deal? Do you still have the original order sheet? If all is in your favor that its a mistake, its the dealers responsiblity to get you the right wheels.

However, I think the black pocket wheels look fantastic with the Black Pearl. But its your car and you should have what you ordered. Goto the dealer with you issue, if they are a stand up dealership, they will fix the issue asap.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think the black pocket wheels you normally pay extra for. But if you like the other wheels the dealer should work something out for you.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Like Firehawk69 said, check the window sticker and you order sheet, if you still have it. Its highly unlikely Dodge would put the wrong rims on an order. It could be also that when you put your order in, the sales guy miss understood and marked the wrong rims.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Which "black pocket" wheels are you referring to? The "SuperBee/IE" style or the GWE style?

The one's you want are the regular Challenger alcoa's??

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input, guys. I checked the build sheet, and the upgraded wheels are on it at a $250 premium. I'm gonna go in to the dealer tomorrow and ask him to swap them out for the cast aluminums. Let you know how it turns out.

Rob

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i dont get how you would accept a car w/ the wrong wheels? it doesnt make sense....

in my opinion if you signed and accepted the car your screwed....if you can return it within 72 hours what stops people from buying a new car to take to a class reunion and then return it the next day? ill buy a ZR-1 for my next one....then return it.....

i think he'll give you $250 back (since you didnt ask for it) and id be happy w/ that result..

i think the IE rims are great looking...most people would prefer them...

accepting your car w/ the wrong wheels is like taking a yellow car that was supposed to be black....were you that excited that you went temp. blind and didnt notice different wheels?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i dont get how you would accept a car w/ the wrong wheels? it doesnt make sense....

in my opinion if you signed and accepted the car your screwed....if you can return it within 72 hours what stops people from buying a new car to take to a class reunion and then return it the next day? ill buy a ZR-1 for my next one....then return it.....

i think he'll give you $250 back (since you didnt ask for it) and id be happy w/ that result..

accepting your car w/ the wrong wheels is like taking a yellow car that was supposed to be black....were you that excited that you went temp. blind and didnt notice different wheels?

:notallthere::notallthere::notallthere:

Even my local dealership as bad as they are would remedy the error.....probably an honest mistake. Make sure you get your $250. back though if you paid for the upgrade.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rob-I'm in the L.A. area, just curious, what dealership did you go to?

Dino

·
Registered
202 Posts
So my SRT8 392 arrived yesterday, and although I am overjoyed with the car, It did not come with the wheels I thought I had ordered. I was anticipating the standard 20" cast aluminums, but it came wearing the black pocket polished alums.

In my haste to get in my new car, I didn't bring it up with the sales manager. I don't hate the black pockets, but if I had my way, I'd like the cast alums. How should I approach the dealer about this? Do you think there is anything that can be done after taking possession of the car?

Is there anybody with a new set of four cast aluminum 20" that would be willing to do an even swap in the Los ANgeles area?

Any help appreciated.

Rob

Rob, sure wished you were closer to Alabama! I ordered mine with the black pockets (Car is black with silver stripes) thinking they blend well and ended up having the car delivered with the cast aluminum wheels.
Dealer said he'll swap them out, but this would have worked out just as well had we been closer.
At least I see I'm not the only one who ordered a car and it didn't come the way it was ordered.

Kevin

·
Registered
329 Posts
There seems to be two black background rims. The one's on the FF's and the same on the GWE and the IE's. Which are you refering to?

And if you have ordered the GWE, I was told by (here we go again) the dealer the standard rims are the silver and the optional rims are the black's like on the FF's.

I really like the IE but there does not seem to be an option for them. So what's what?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I accepted the car for a number of reasons, notably that the black pockets look great and I had my friggin' 392 sitting in front of me, man! It wasn't till later that I started thinking about the wheels I originally wanted. Another factor was the fact that half my family was there to see me drive off, so there was a lot of yapping and so forth going on. Wasn't really concentrating on the wheels. Not a huge calamity if the dealer can' do anything to swap out, cause like I said, the black pockets don't suck!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob-I'm in the L.A. area, just curious, what dealership did you go to?

Dino
Glendale Dodge, on Brand Blvd.

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There seems to be two black background rims. The one's on the FF's and the same on the GWE and the IE's. Which are you refering to?

And if you have ordered the GWE, I was told by (here we go again) the dealer the standard rims are the silver and the optional rims are the black's like on the FF's.

I really like the IE but there does not seem to be an option for them. So what's what?
Prowler -

The top photo are the cast aluminum wheels that I thought I was getting, the bottom are the black pockets that the car came with. On the window sticker, they are listed as Polished Aluminum SRT design wheels.

R

Attachments

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
FYI... I have the WPA (black pocket wheels) and I have 800 miles on the car. It's very difficult to see the brake dust build-up with the black pockets. This may be considered an advantage to some. I know it is for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you don't have any luck at the dealer I'm in Burbank and would consider swapping.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Realize it is subjective and all just a matter of personal taste, but I have developed a strong preference for the black pocket / Super Bee style wheels, and would gladly pay the $250 to upgrade. I have not seen any wheel that I like as well on the Challenger, and that includes all the aftermarket wheels.

Of course, since you prefer the regular SRT wheels, worth seeing what the dealer can do. I also agree with the OP that this wouldn't make me turn down delivery of a hot new 392...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts