Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Went and checked out the 2011's again today and wanted to report back on whether you can or cannot swap steering wheels. I suppose it's possible but some things to know:

Along with a new wheel:
1. The trim on the actual steering column is all new
2. The tilt mechanism is totally different
3. The turn signal stalk is completely different

Also, the first thing I noticed is that the actual wheel is tilted much more than the 2008-2010... meaning the top of the rim is much closer to the cluster. Holding it with both hands, you can really feel the different and I prefer the 2010 for that reason only.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the stalk and column; so long as the splines in the wheel are the same as on the end of the 2010 columns, you should be ok. I'd assume the horn and airbag wiring should be the same, but the buttons may not hook up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Don't assume that it is the same wiring, Dodge is notorious for changing wiring from year to year.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Someone else (RS?) already posted a while ago that the changes are substantial enough that they will not be compatible.
Of course, for some people the word "impossible" just doesn't exist, and they may yet figure out a hack to make it work...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm sure if enough inquire about it, Grant will make one that fits earlier models. At first I liked the 2011 wheel, but the more I look at it the less I like it. I've come to love my old wagon wheel anyways. Its very easy to cruise with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't get why anyone would want the smaller wheel. Haven't you guys driven vinatge muscle cars? Tiny wheels are for low riders and Honda Civics.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Changing the steering wheel is opening yourself up to lots of potential problems even if you can get it to work. If you don't like the the 2008-2010 wheel that much, trade the car in for a 2011 model. There will be fewer headaches in the long run; and you get a new car with it.

I think the days of swapping steering wheels ended when airbags became common.

Personally, I like the 2008-2010 wheel sans buttons better than the new one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, again, even if the splines match, you can't attach the wheel without replacing all the trim surrounding the wheel so it can be mounted... Which means all new tilt mechanism and turn stalk. And the airbags are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
2011 splines do match and the wheel does fit on previous LX based cars steering column( tried it at work a while back ) , but with the new SCCM and extra buttons on the wheel getting it wired up may be a challenge

·
Registered
82 Posts
2011 steering wheel

Thanks for the post Brampton Builder. Can you confirm if the only mod required would be the wiring, that's to say the new wheel with tilt mech and trim would fit in an 09-10?:scratchhead:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't get why anyone would want the smaller wheel. Haven't you guys driven vinatge muscle cars? Tiny wheels are for low riders and Honda Civics.

Really? Then explain why the most desireable Mopar muscle car wheel is the Tuff wheel? I prefer the big plastic wheels myself, but the smaller Tuff wheels are the ones everyone has to have?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah all the "desirable" wheels on the musclecars were small and fat, but usually the regular model had a big narrow wheel... even like the Formula wheel on Pontiacs vs the regular plastic wheels.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like the 2011 wheel better. Not because it's smaller, but I like the cruise on the wheel. I am somewhat perplexed over this whole thread though??? Don't race cars have smaller steering wheels? Isn't it easier to performance drive with a smaller wheel? Should we ask Chrysler to put a semi-truck wheel in the Challenger maybe? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Thanks for the post Brampton Builder. Can you confirm if the only mod required would be the wiring, that's to say the new wheel with tilt mech and trim would fit in an 09-10?:scratchhead:
NO , the wheel fits the splines thats it . The SCCM (part behind the wheel) is also all new and does not fit 08-10 .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Whats the difference between the plug form the new SCCM to the card vs the old one

is it just a different shape or is there extra wires etc etc

I'm curious because more buttons shouldnt mean more wires since they all communicate via the can bus right (2 wires for canbus) so if the plug is just different and theres the same amount of wires it would just need an adapter so map the wires from the new SCCM to the plug for the rest of the car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The other thing im now wondering is, does the SCCM control the wiper stalk, cruise stalk, or any of the other things that are now differnt.

If so it could pose to be a bigger problem if you want to swap in the wheel but not the new stalks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts