Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this has been posted or noticed already...

I have found a HUGE security problem with the 2011's (SE, RT, SRT8).
Walk up to any 11 Challenger ...make sure the doors are locked...and go press the new button under the trunk lid. It will open....locked or not. I've gone to 3 lots over the weekend and tried it on every car I walked up to (about 15). The trunk pops right open no problem and every single car was locked.

Reactions: Zute

·
Registered
710 Posts
Maybe the key fob even though it's inside the dealership is transmitting a signal to the car. Did you try the little black button on the door handle to see if the doors unlock too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just came back from the local dealership. They had a 2011 Classic and R/T. The R/T trunk opened right up, but the Classic stayed locked. Didn't try the door button. Maybe there is something you have to do inside the car to ensure it stays locked. I don't think these fobs transmit far enough for them to open if they are inside the dealership. Both of these cars were outside pretty far away from the dealership.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I get my '11 Classic in a few days, I will tell you guys how it is. There might be something you need to do to lock it. When I was at my local dealership looking at the new charger the trunk and the car was locked and had to wait for the salesman to unlock it.

·
Vendor
348 Posts
Check the user settings through the steering wheel maybe?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
sometimes there are certain fuses "not installed" till car is officially "prepped"...maybe that has something to do with it??:scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
sometimes there are certain fuses "not installed" till car is officially "prepped"...maybe that has something to do with it??:scratchhead:
I would go with this opinon. However dealers better get them prepped quickly or they are going to lose a lot of batteries and spare tires.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
This is so the trunk monkey can pee outside and not in your new Challenger.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That is strange. Remember the days when trunks had button openers with the key lock in the center? You could unlock the truck and leave it unlocked if you wanted to. Then came the key only to get in. I like my 2010 with no lock, although I used my key a lot when I had my Sebring convertible. The wife kept saying, "Use the fob." I didn't want to wear out the battery. :)

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
That's interesting. Wonder if it's a programming over sight or something?

·
Banned
484 Posts
I would like to know more about this, someone with one needs to get their car far away from thier keys and try it. Mine works preatty far.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would like to know more about this, someone with one needs to get their car far away from thier keys and try it. Mine works preatty far.
Tomorrow or the next day I should be getting my 2011. I will post up my experience as soon as I get the car to see if there is something inherently wrong with the design/mechanism/software.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The key storage at one of the lots was at least 100 yards away. There is no way it transmits that far. Sometimes dealers do pull a fuse in the trunk to disable the alarms so when people like myself come by to check out the car...it doesn't go off. But that wouldn't shut the lock off the trunk.
My wifes 11 Charger does completely lock and so did the 11 Chargers I tried at the dealer. I'm a little worried this could be an overlooked flaw.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts